Fill me in LEOs...

This is a discussion on Fill me in LEOs... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just wanted to ask something that I have always wondered about. All of you that are LEOs... how often are you required to practice with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fill me in LEOs...

Fill me in LEOs...

Just wanted to ask something that I have always wondered about. All of you that are LEOs... how often are you required to practice with your weapon? I know it may be an odd question but for those of us in the general public we don't know these things. Are you even REQUIRED to practice or is it something you just do on your own? I know you officers on this forum take firearms very seriously and appreciate being able to defend yourselves but what about your co-workers? Are they as serious or do some of them kind of slack in this department? It's something that I've thought about. Of course we want someone that is a Clint Smith to come if we dial 911 so make sure everyone is ready. Thanks!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Al,

This is one topic that gets me going. Now, attitudes toward training in general are very regional. I'm in SE PA. On the whole, there is very little firearms training that is conducted after the academy. For the most part LEOs do not do enough follow on training. I'm a firearms and tactics instructor and I gripe about this continually.

Our agency requires every officer to attend 8 hrs of hands on update training every year. Low light, defensive tactics etc generally get covered. Additionally, officers are required to qualify with their issued and off duty weapons once a year.

The SRT officers are encouraged to shoot live fire every week and are required to qualify quarterly. They are also required to attend two other monthly organized training sessions. Most SRT guys do some form of dry fire practice every other day or so.

I continue to try to keep the curriculum fresh and try to have a different lesson plan for each training day. All of our SRT range days are open to everyone just on the chance that it may generate some interest. "Hey guys, this stuff is fun!", is the response that I'm looking from the rank and file.

It seems though that all kinds of things get in the way of training, budget, staffing, sports, kids activities, complacency, locusts, floods etc.

Guns are the tools of our trade and are second in liability issues only to the cars that we drive. We don't train enough there either but that is another rant. Non LEOs who carry generally train more with their weapons and a dare say may be generally more proficient with their guns than the average cop. We need to do better as a group.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I imagine this varies by state.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Administrator
    I'll echo exactly what Knuckledrager said. And it does change from area to area, state to state etc., so there is no black and white answer.
    We are required by the state to qualify once a year, but our department requires it quarterly. But, as I have said many times here qualifying and practice are two different things often confused by the general public.
    We are lucky in my dept. to have an open range once a month, a paid membership to a local public range and the ammo locker is always open as ong as you keep it within reason. I could shoot a box or two a day if I wanted too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for the information! I was just thinking that carrying a firearm is part of the job and we all know that our jobs become old and we get comfortable and maybe don't stay on top of things as we should. We could all practice more but wasn't sure how things worked for you guys. Do LEOs have to pay for their ammunition or does the department pay for some for practice?
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'll echo exactly what Knuckledrager said. We are required by the state to qualify once a year, but our department requires it quarterly. But, as I have said many times here qualifying and practice are two different things often confused by the general public.
    We are lucky in my dept. to have an open range once a month, a paid membership to a local public range and the ammo locker is always open as ong as you keep it within reason. I could shoot a box or two a day if I wanted too.
    You just answered my question about ammo. Thanks
    Allen

Sixto, we have a range day today. Feel like driving (East?) for a few hours?
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Like everyone here had already said training is little and in between. A few of the guys and me try to go to the range at least twice a month. The range is open 4 days a week for us just to play. LOL
    Most of the time the range instructor will just tell us to grab an ammo can full of rounds and have at it!

It isn't about just shooting down range it is also practicing with the triple retention holster. Heck, if you have to struggle getting your weapon out of the holster you have already lost the gun fight!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Sixto, we have a range day today. Feel like driving (East?) for a few hours?
    I'm glad we dont, its still raining like crazy here. No BS, 5 kayakers floated down the small creek this morning that runs through my backyard. Its typically just a muddy mess my dog like to romp in.

I typically like to shoot in the rain, but the temp is dropping and its pretty miserable outside.

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    You just answered my question about ammo. Thanks
    We are lucky this way, I dont think it is the norm though. A lot of departments cant afford it, or the bean counters wont allow it.
    The departments have to pay for the pratice ammo on required range days, but nothing more.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I know a lot of us basically have been shooting since we began to walk but I know others probably didn't even pick up a weapon until they hit the academy. Seems like these people should know that they need to practice all the time since their life may well depend on it. Funny how some people think isn't it?
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm glad we dont, its still raining like crazy here. No BS, 5 kayakers floated down the small creek this morning that runs through my backyard. Its typically just a muddy mess my dog like to romp in.

I typically like to shoot in the rain, but the temp is dropping and its pretty miserable outside.
    Ahhhh, the joys of the indoor range!

Administrator
    We have access to an indoor range too, I just dont like it all that much.
    "Just blame Sixto"

We qualify bi annually, but range is open 1 day a month.
    All ammo is on the departments dime.

But my Auxiliary guys have to buy there own ammo
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Qualify 2x/year, have to buy my own ammo, and I try to shoot at least once a month. Budget is big concern for my dept. Im sure that there are officers who only shoot 2x a year for qualification and there are officers who probably shoot at minimum 10 days a month. (PPC and IDPA competitors) I also practice drawing from my duty holster for at least a hour every week. As mongoose said, drawing from triple retention holster requires lots of practice to make the act muscle memory.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    We qualify quarterly. I shoot a lot more than that. Most LEOs I know don't shoot beyond what their respective agency tells them too....that's sad.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links