LEO stories

This is a discussion on LEO stories within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One more: Late 60's, home on leave I was asked to help out an old friend do a drug bust, he was working for a ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: LEO stories

One more:

Late 60's, home on leave I was asked to help out an old friend do a drug bust, he was working for a railroad at the time and wasn't allowed to carry a firearm,,I went to see my "friend" the Sheriff and got sworn in..

Sunset, Wade and I setting in the dodge cornet, in the back of the yard facing the tracks and the switch yard,, Talking with Wade I let him know PDQ what I thought of his company's policy on unarmed cops, and then handed him my P-35, which at the time was loaded with Super-Vel 95 grain JHP's, I double checked my 1911 and all was well,, you know how waiting is,, we talked family/ friends/ girls and the war.... Just at 2330hrs a black Lincoln slowly drives into the switch yard, and starts flashing his headlights,, I asked Wade what the hell is this guy doing,," Dumbo letting us know he's here",, my job was to look mean and stand by the car while Wade made the buy,, now that I think it over and look back, you would have sworn the set up was out of a Miami Vice show.... BG's car makes the move over the tracks toward us and stopped about 30yards out,,three doors open,, I told Wade "I don't like this " one man steps out passenger side , one other steps out driver side passenger. Driver never makes a move,, I look over at Wade and he is sweating horse drops,, he tells me be very careful theses guys are pros from south america.. he steps out and walks to the front of out car, just shy of the headlight beam,,BG number-1 and Wade called to each other and began walking into the light, by this time I have moved leaving the passenger door , and sliding very slowly out to about 10 or 20 feet away and at an angle on Nu-2.

Watching the scene it appeared to go well the exchange was made,, all is well, Nu-1 starts back stepping , and talking to Wade the whole time, Wade TURNS HIS BACK! And starts toward the car, with that I hear Bg-1 yelled something ending in PUNTA! , and Nu-2 swings out with a shotgun,,, I yelled for Wade to eat dirt, and capped BG-2 3 times rapid 200 grain speer's,, Wade starts in on BG-1, no hits seen and he yells out of ammo, I'm thinking "out of ammo" where the heck did 20 rounds go,,,BG-1 makes it to the car, Wade is crawling back toward ours, and every thing goes down hill from there,, seems the BG's aren't playing by the rules, they have 2 extra hitters in the back seat, as they opened up and decided to turn our car into swiss chez, Wade and I hit the dirt and start the low crawl out,, we got to a brushed area and I grabbed the P-35 from Wade and check the weapon,, he must of been holding the extended mag the weapon is jammed, I clear it and hand it back.

The BG's aren't moving, their just seating there,, We slowly get up and start to walk away from the scene, we hear the car coming and we both spin and split firing at the same time,, I went to slide lock and go to the other mag,, which I admit was loaded with other than department issue 185 grain KTW, we put all our ammo into as it passed,I remember seeing the back deck and window and firing for the bottom section,,,Wade said he just threw rounds until he was empty..

Car was found about 2 weeks later,, driver dead, no other bodies,,back seat large blood puddle, brass all over the floor,,Wade was in the hospital with a thru and thru in the right leg.. Coroner inquest, and they want to know who was shooting the amour piercing ammo,, I fess up and show them one round..nothing comes of the ammo issue, we are cleared on a good shoot..

PS: KTW round, 1 went through the bottom of the rear window at the chrome strip, through the top of the rear seat and a body, thru the front seat and driver and lodged into the steering column.

Wade passed on a few years ago, and never forgave me for causing him trouble,, he said he had dealt with this group several times and had never had a problem,,my retort was less than polite

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

The softer side of work...

Heres yet another, not as exciting or "hollywood" as the last ones, but its one of my favorites.

I was assigned to day shift in our quaint, affluent town. Although I hated the boring days compared to the action of drugs, alcohol and guns at night but I did enjoy meeting nice people instead of druggies, outlaw biker types and dealers.
    We were assigned neighborhoods to take care of, and one of the duties we had was to keep an eye on traffic around the bus stops in the mornings, and again in the afternoon.
    I only had one neighborhood to take care of (the same one I mentioned before in the hanging story), but I also had the dowtown business district.
    One complaint I had day in and out was a little Jack Russell Terrier that would hang around the shops. He never bothered anything, except the busy body jobless housewives that nothing better to do than call the police about a 10# dog hanging out. (he did chase cats down at the feed store ) I knew where the terrier came from, who is owner was etc., but I knew the dog wasnt hurting anything and dodged doing anything about it.

Then, they threatened to get the dog warden involved. I like dogs, and wasnt going to allow this little fella go to the pound.

So, the next morning at the school bus stop I went to go talk with the dogs owner, Jeremy. Jeremy was 11 at the time.

He told me that his little dog followed him down to the bus stop every morning and refused to go home until Jeremy returned in the afternoon. His mom and dad had to go to work, and they couldnt catch "Harry".

I had watched the dog follow the boy down the steep hill every morning for a month, and knew the boy was right. So, I made friends with the little dog... My boss was on me to take care of the "stray" dog problem in the downtown area.

So, for the rest of the spring, I would pick "Harry" up at the bus stop after Jeremy got on the bus in the morning, and he would ride around with me sitting on top of my patrol bag. In the afternoon, I'd drop the dog off at the bus stop, and Jeremy would take his little dog home.

Everybody that saw me with the dog was told I found a stray and was taking him home... nobody knew or knows that I did that daily for about a month.

When my two dogs died this pass summer, I bought a JRT for my son. He has the same affection for my son like Harry and Jeremy.

Every boy needs a dog.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Too many years ago, I was assigned a street corner location to work during a large festival. I was on foot, pretty much everyone else was too because of the large amount of people. Nighttime had arrived, the festival was beginning to end and some young girls suddenly came up to me, all speaking at once. They were telling me that just around the corner (a two-story building occupied the corner) that there had been a shooting. I'm only about 100 feet away and never heard a shot (noisy festival). I run over there and a wounded man (big guy) is laying on the street, conscious, and being attended to by others. I heard much later he had been shot twice (he survived). Not too far away I could see a bit of a scuffle and a couple of guys were tussling with someone. I got the "someone" cuffed and under control, patted him down and quickly found a H&R revolver and a handful of condoms in the same coat pocket. What an interesting social schedule he had planned for himself huh?

A minute or so later here comes a leo bringing another guy towards us in cuffs. He had ran this guy down, this guy was the actual shooter........ I had the accomplice. We brought both of them to our command post. So they were arrested, taken to jail, went to trial, etc., etc. The strangest thing of this little story was 20+ years later, I happened to be looking at the classified ads in the local newspaper (that's strange too) and I happen to see an ad asking for info about this shooting that happened 20+ years ago, and to respond to an email address. So I'm thinking yeah, I know a lot about this shooting, but who is this? Is this one of the BG's? A lawyer? Curiosity got the best of me and I emailed a lukewarm reply as I fished for further info. Come to find out it was some guy from out-of-town that had been attending the festival and was nearby during the shooting. He wanted info to bolster his PTSD claim from 20+ years ago.

My gut told me this was a sham, so I just waited it out. After 8 more years, no subpoena, no nothing = fake claim.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    These are great stories everyone. Thank you very much for taking the time to tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    So, for the rest of the spring, I would pick "Harry" up at the bus stop after Jeremy got on the bus in the morning, and he would ride around with me sitting on top of my patrol bag. In the afternoon, I'd drop the dog off at the bus stop, and Jeremy would take his little dog home.

Everybody that saw me with the dog was told I found a stray and was taking him home... nobody knew or knows that I did that daily for about a month.
    Makes that place sound like Mayberry, USA. Lucky Harry!

That's cool sixto, Got to love man's best friend
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Makes that place sound like Mayberry, USA. Lucky Harry!
    In large part it is. Its to bad the town is soiled by 5 section 8 housing complexs. About 99.7% of our problems and 100% of our violent crimes originate in one of the complexs or with a resident of those complexs. Why citys agree to allow those cess pools in their towns, I'll never understand.

I get farmed out a lot to larger multi jurisdictional units, so I get to do and see a lot of different things... and when I need a break, I come "home" and play small town cop until I'm ready to go again.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Heres a story that is as gross as any...

Several years ago I was dispatched to a "welfare check". The neighbors had gotten concerned about an elderly woman because she hadn't been seen in a few days. This woman was known to be a very pleasant woman, and was well liked by her neighbors.

We had a new guy on the force, he had just completed his FTO and had been patrolling for about a week. He was close and wanted to know if he could help. I told him to go ahead and meet me there.

I got there and talked to the neighbor that called it in. She was very concerned about her neighbor. So I walked up to the porch and looked in. No lights, no sign of movement. Not good I am thinking. The door was unlocked, so I opened it while calling out. As soon as I opened it, the unmistakable smell of death a few days old hit me.

I knew it was going to be ugly.
    I checked out the house and found the woman in her bed.She was laying on top of the covers and she was naked. She was a large woman to begin with and she was somewhat bloated. The thing that made it most unpleasant was the fact that there were thousands, perhaps millions, a little tiny black flies. There were eggs in every bit of hair that she had, and maggots crawling in and out of every orifice in her body. As I am standing there trying not to gag, the Rookie is on the porch and he yells out.

I walk out to him, eager to get some fresh air, and inform him that she is there, that she is dead and that it ain't pretty. Being a new guy and having never seen a dead person before, he wanted to see. So he goes in, me behind him, and walks right up to her. He looks at her, turns about 3 different shades of green and quickly trys to turn around and run out of the room...like he is in the panic mode.

He must have been, because I was standing in the door way, and he missed it. He thought that he was in the doorway, but had actually moved a few feet over, and he ran full tilt into the wall. He hit the wall so hard that he actually knocked himself silly and fell right down, face down landing right between the womans legs. Use your imagination here people. He's there for maybe 3 seconds, and he freaks out. His feet started running but he wasn't getting anywhere. I clear out of the door way expecting to be run over, he finally makes it outside and he is wiping his face and spitting maggots and he pukes all over the porch. By this time, another Deputy gets there, he sees him getting sick and he's figured out what has transpired. He walks up to him and asks if he is OK.

Rookie tells him,heck NO he is not OK he just fell face down into a dead woman. Deputy No.3 comments that she must have been dead awhile. Rookie asks how he knows that. Deputy 3 says "because of the maggots that are crawling in your goatee".
    Rookie runs over to his car, looks in his door mirror and pukes all over his new car. This is no minor vomit action going on, this would be considered a world class power puke worthy of a mention in the Guinness Book of World Records.

We felt sorry for the guy actually,but not so much that we didn't harass him about it every chance we get, because we love him.

Because it was such a noteworthy event for our new Rookie, we even mentioned it to the Dispatchers in the 911 compound. For a long time after that, when he was dispatched a "welfare concern" they would ask him if he had his barf bag with him or his can of fly spray.

Although this happened several years ago, it has become part of the story hood of the Police in this area, actually being mentioned and discussed in the Police Academy that everyone goes through to get certified.

That rookie is now a Sergeant, and when asked about that story to this day he instinctively wipes his mouth when he is telling it...and it never fails.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Hey you two mind the DYNAMITE!!!!
    That is just too funny!

guys, thanks for the stories and keep them coming!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    EWWW! I hate dead bodies... I've never got used to them yet. I have a few DOA stories too. One was discovered only because fluids started leeching through the floor and staining the ceiling of the apartment below... I have a touch of the flu today, so I'll save that story for another day.

Here is a good one about me screwing up.

It was one of those rainy nights when the roadway just sucks up any light, making it seem as if you headlights are not on.
    I'm driving down a country road, that runs along a river. As I round a bend in the road, I see tail lights off to the side, and down a slight embankment in a small stand of trees.

I spin around and go back to investigate. This area is not a part of our city, its just outside. It doesnt really matter, except for the story.
    I called out my location, and that I had a A/A. The neighboring dept. was one their way, as it was their jurisdiction.
    I walk back to the vehicle, it was an old pick up truck. It had struck a large tree rather hard. Inside was a woman, who was clearly dead. The steering column had impaled her chest.
    I see the fire truck roll up, as well as the cruiser for the other department. So, I walk out to tell them we had a doa.

There is four of us now, two officers and two fire/medics. We go back into the woods to start out investigation. As we get there, the medics check the lady out, and all of a sudden, she shouts, FOR CHRISTS SAKE, GET ME OUT OF THIS ******* TRUCK!

We all about dropped a load, because one look and any reasonable person would have thought for sure she was dead.

This lady did survive the crash, but I'm sure she was hurting for a long time. She was very much drunk too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Sixto, I don't care what you guys make, it is not enough
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Hotguns, that was the funniest sick story I've heard in a long time. I didn't know whether to laugh or puke.

Sixto, while it's an amazing story of survival, I just can't get myself to feel sorry for that woman. Maybe next time she has a few drinks, she'll think about wearing a steering wheel again. Much better it happened to her than some innocent family.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Sixto, I don't care what you guys make, it is not enough
    Here is another that will back this statement up; this was the worst night I ever had.

There was a broadcast for any available LEO to go up to the interstate to assist the HWP with a auto accident. This was strange, as they never ask for help, and why did they need so many guys?

I wasnt doing anything, and it was a slow night so I went. It was only a mile or so away too.

I get there and find a trooper that I know well, he is the lead trooper in this case. He gives me the scoop...

A drunk girl flips her car on the highway, she and her passenger gets ejected. The passenger is dead, and the driver was awake and talking when medics scooped her up.

Here is the kicker... she told the troopers and the firemen that she had her two year old son in the car too. There was a car seat in the shredded car, and I found a toddlers shoe in the median. We could only assume that the child was out there somewhere in the tall grass alongside the highway. Thats why they needed as many guys as possible. I dont know how many showed up, but there were a lot of cops and firemen there.

We searched all night long in the tall grass. We searched every square inch of an area even remotely possible that the child could be in. Imagine feeling your way through all that looking for what probably was a body by now of a toddler. I dont know why, but I kept the shoe I found in my back pocket. I was on scene 8 hrs looking for that kid. My own son was also two at the time. It sucked. It was the worse night I ever had as an LEO.

Now for the happy part; the troopers were finally able to make contact with the family, and the toddler was safe with grandma all night. Drunk momma dropped him off with her so she could go party with her friends. I've never been so happy and angry at the same time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a little LEO related story that I've always thought was hilarious.

Have you ever been on the road and thought where is a police officer when you need one?

One afternoon I was on the local highway on my way home from work. I have a confession here, the speed limit is 65, and I always set my cruise control for about 72-73. So here I am, cruising along at about 72, and all of a sudden I see cars coming up in my rearview REALLY fast. First a small SUV then a Jeep both with guys old enough to know better, and the third was a small Honda, with a young college age girl.

Just ahead of me is a clear area with no traffic. As soon as the Jeep's rear bumper cleared my front bumper it jerks over in front of me, making me hit the brakes and shut off cruise control. They speed up and the Jeep is able to out accelerate the SUV and he cuts him off and slams his brakes. The SUV pulls into my lane and pulls up to the side of the Jeep. For a good half mile they are side by side yelling at each other out the windows. The Honda is behind them right on their bumpers. They've slowed down from when they passed me. They had to have doing 100 at first, but as soon as they got the room in front of me, and got side by side, they got down to about 75. I'm a bit further back probably 20 carlengths, I don't want to get into the pile up that I'm positive is about to happen, but I'm close enough to see everything going on and be a good witness if necessary.

All of a sudden out of nowhere I hear sirens. I've been looking in the rearview for LEO, or if anyone else comes up too fast so I could wave them to slow down so they don't get caught up in what's ahead. I start looking all over at the sides of the road and behind me, and can't see anyone. All three vehicles pull over and I see the college girl jump out of the car with a gun and yell at the two guys to get out of the car and get up against the car. Apparently she was LEO and was just behind them long enough to get all the evidence she needed to put them away for a little while. I didn't even need to be a good witness.

That story always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. Sometimes things turn out as they should.

Administrator
    Ya gotta watch those girls...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links