LEO stories - Page 6

LEO stories

This is a discussion on LEO stories within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; He demanded the skunk be shot. Right then, right there. Fetch out the 870. "Anybody in the house?" "No. Shoot it, shoot it!" BOOM and ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: LEO stories

He demanded the skunk be shot.
    Right then, right there.
    Fetch out the 870. "Anybody in the house?"
    "No. Shoot it, shoot it!"
    BOOM and a charge of 00 buck sends the skunk to the next life, while the payload continued through the fellow's threshold and dug up an impressive amount of carpet inside his front door.
    Funny thing. Once the Mayor got the straight story, he had absolutely no sympathy for the fellow.

You guys and gals deserve all of the respect and pay !!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

You guys and gals deserve all of the respect and MORE pay !!!!!!!!!

Edit to be correct!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Alright I'm obviously not a LEO but I've got a few stories.

This one is 3rd party from a couple of guys I used to BS with when they were on duty and I was at work at Starbucks.
    The local Post Office is on a cambered corner so people tend to drive faster than normal around it. There's also a big tall oak at the inside of the turn. Well the opening employee for the post office was running late that morning. She comes barreling around the corner going "way over the limit." Something comes through her windshield and decks her in the face - hard. She spins out and starts screaming when she see's what it was. Turns out this dude was trying to hang himself in the tree and was still in the process of dying when she shows up. His feet came through the windshield and kicked her right in the face. The collision tore him from the tree and he tumbled over the top of her old stationwagon. The suicide actually survived but he broke both his legs and an arm (IIRC). The driver was cussing and yelling at the guy for being in her way. From what I understand the woman was actually shaken and quit her job at the Post Office. - Imagine hearing this from two officers in uniform who are trying REALLY hard not to laugh. Man they always had the best stuff on what went on in that town.

These next few are from some stuff I expereinced with ride-alongs. These were done with an unidentified Precinct in Southeast DC. Those guys don't need any more trouble than they already have. To give some background... My buddy Chris and I were doing a ride-along as a dare from a law enforcement instructor at our community college. We were 20 and had brass balls so we took the Metro into SE and went from there. On a Friday Night shift. Chris got the body armor. The two guys that were saddled with us were just total opposites. One was a young guy who had done something in the Marines that he was non-specific about. We'll call him "Jake." The other was an older officer but was new to the area. We'll call him "Martin." They give us an overview on the area and things they want us to watch for - including stopping in front of a crack house just so we could hear them yelling "Five-Oh!" Haha We all got a good laugh at that. But I digress...
    Early in the evening we are rolling through a really bad area and Jake briefs Chris and I on all the crack and herion addiction in the area. Tells us that we're going to go make some impromptu arrests. His words: "I'm gonna slam on the brakes. We'll grab the doors for you so be ready to shove on them when we get out. You two stay on our ***es. If anyone tries to get by you then take 'em down. Back each other up." WTH?!?!?! Chris and I look kinda horrified. Jake told us later we turned white. What a jerk. haha
    It goes down and we hop out and take-off into these woods. Screams about cops and "Five-Oh" abound. We pound through pricker bushes and dodge trees while a bunch of drug addicts scatter. One has a needle in his hand and is starting to turn on Jake. Jake's ASP is already out and the BG takes one to the arm. I heard it break. Then another hit to the BG's leg. BG down. Martin meanwhile is chasing some other guy deep into the briar. None of the BG's tried to get by us (about half a dozen). However, one woman is squatting on the ground by us. We look down at her in confusion - why didn't she run? Well her pants are around her ankles and she's dropping a load right there with a needle hanging out of her elbow. "Don' hurt me!" All three of them end up in squad cars and are trucked-off. We go on about our evening.

About an hour later, just before sunset a call goes out for assistance from Vice which is about to perform a takedown from a BG that was spotted earlier. Suspected to be armed. All four of us respond and we sit out on the perimiter outside the car. Jake and Martin move closer. As they move up beside a building, theres a call on the radio that the BG is fleeing and Vice is in pursuit. Location: Crossing the street Chris and I are standing on. Sure enough, here comes this thug with cornrows chugging across the street. Jake and Martin turn just in time to see him and take off just as Vice appears. Being as brassy as Chris and I were, we try to cut this dude off. BG see's us and takes a detour around another building between us. Chris and I are charging hard and we come around the building's opposite side just in time to see this dude dive in a doorway and up a stairwell. We are through the door right after him and can see Jake come around the corner. He yells at us "Hold Fast!" We being the ride-alongs we were had no idea what he meant but we were up that stairwell three steps at a time after this guy. Nearing the top, we come around a bend and see the BG trying to get a locked door open. My buddy Chris yells "Freeze!" like a good child of the television. The BG turns and pulls a knife. We instead freeze while the BG offers a colorful threat and takes a step in our direction. Jake, thank GOD, shoves us aside and cracks the guy again with the ASP. There was seriously no time for him to even get a sidearm out from the time he rounded the bend and when he hit the BG. About six other officers came up as well.

There's more from that night that I will save for later.

One last one. Don't know if this is true but this was related to me by a police Lieutenant:
    Virginia State Police had a kid to a ride-along waaaay out in the boondocks in an area where SP will make house calls if the Sheriff is shortstaffed. So they get a call about a possible B&E at a known empty residence. SPO approaches with lights dark and shuts it off. Someone can be seen inside throwing things around. SPO has the ride-along get out and tells him to 'Go 'round back' and gives him the 12 gauge. SPO bangs on the door and see's the LEO. BG has a knife and darts towards the back of the house. Two seconds later there is a shotgun blast and a bunch of yelling. Cop comes out the back door from the house. The kid is holding the BG at gunpoint and the BG is crying. The BG had surprised the kid and the kid fired into the air. The BG tripped off the stoop and fell face first into the concrete.

A big "Thanks!" for all you guys that put up with ride-alongs. Unarmed, unarmored and untrained, I am sure we are more burdens than anything else.
    Last edited by JD; May 2nd, 2008 at 10:17 PM.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Administrator
    On the rare occasion I take a ride along, they dont leave the car.
    "Just blame Sixto"

One more, for grins and giggles ...
    Phone rang in the village hall: young woman said her husband wanted to commit suicide by cop, his plan was to beat her around enough so she would call us, we'd show up, he would pull a knife and we'd punch his ticket. She begged us not to kill him as he was really a nice guy and it was probably her fault and she just knew she could make him better, all the usual crap an abused wife has said time and time and time again over the years.
    Too many years in the saddle. Heard it too many times.
    Anyway, he did beat her around, she did call, we did show up and when I stepped through the door he laughed and ran his hand into the seat cushion and came out with a knife.
    I put my hands on my hips and said "Just what do you think you're doin'?"
    He dropped the knife, said "Well, that didn't work," and took off running.
    I took off running with him.
    Not after him, with him.
    When he got tired (in those days I was young and skinny) he sat down on the curb and I sat down beside him and he was inclined to talk, and I was inclined to listen.
    He allowed as how he was having suicidal thoughts and wanted to self-admit into the state hospital.
    We walked back to his house, we all piled in the cruiser and we went down to the state hospital.
    They wouldn't let him self admit.
    He explained he was suicidal, and tried to commit suicide by cop.
    I backed up his story.
    They wouldn't take him.
    Their reason?
    He'd had one beer in the past 24 hours.
    We looked at each other and said "Excuse me?"
    Same answer.
    The wife refused to press charges so all we could do was take him home.
    I did warn him sternly if he hit her again I was not going to kill him.
    I would beat him until his good looks were a thing of the dim and distant past, I said, but I would not kill him.
    Lifting him off the floor one handed and holding him there for a minute was enough to impress him that yes, I was serious.
    Later that week he was finally allowed to self admit into the mental health facility.
    Ya wanta know why?
    He set his wife's car on fire.
    They wouldn't admit him for a suicide attempt but they would admit him because he torched a car.
    Go figure.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Ok here's one I will always remember. I was working the day shift, it was about noon and the Sgt. said meet me at Burger King for lunch. We met outside and both went in and were standing in line to order. While standing there the Alert Tone came over our portables. As we listened we heard dispatch call out an Armed Robbery at Bryans market. I worked for the City Police, this Market was approx 10 miles North of the city. I made my order at BK and received it. I was listening to the BOL info. Dispatch now said that the Robber was a W/M, he had a shotgun and has taken the owner of the store as a Hostage and driving the owners vehicle. The owner was driving, they were last seen going SB on M-24. Well this means they were headed towards my town.
    I told the Sgt. I would go up to the north limits and sit there. He had another area to go sit as 2 streets came into our town from the north. So I pulled into a Gas Station and parked, I started eating my whopper and fries, watching all sb traffic. All of a sudden I spotted the vehicle coming towards me very slow, I rolled down my window and tossed my food out the window. then I got on the radio and advised the vehicle and suspect were going by me and gave my location. I also noticed that the suspect was sitting in the passenger seat and the store owner was driving. ( I knew the store owner personally ) As they went by me I noticed that the suspect had the shotgun pointed at the owners head. I then pulled out and stayed behind a ways waiting for backup. The vehilce really slowed down. I then got plenty of backup behind me. One Sgt. radioed and said we need to get a vehicle in front of him so we could make a Felony stop. So me like a dummy went around the vehicle and got down the road a ways and stopped and pulled sideways in the middle of the roadway by the RR Tracks. I exited my vehicle and pulled out my weapon and took a position on the front. As the vehicle approached me I had my sights right on the suspect. The vehicle then came to a halt just back of my patrol unit. I then began a stare down and yelling for the subject to put the shotgun down. Then the other officers came up from behind. At that point I could not shoot becasue of the danger of other officers. I was really surprised that all traffic around came to a complete stop and had ducked down in there seats. Well after a short period of time the suspect put the shotgun down. He let us open the door and we then pulled him out. Well at this time believe me a sigh of relief came from everyone. This could have been a real tragety. The suspect turned out to be a 16 year old with mental problems.

Thats my story and I stick with it. Thank god I'm still here today, and no one was hurt in the incident.

roger

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    Edit to be correct!
    Perfect edit! More pay! It's what I meant!

Wow did we all make too much popcorn?? I thought this thread would carry on for a LONG time.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Administrator
    I forgot my boots, so I left.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto - at least I managed to save my watch!

Hey DJ, stop a minute want to talk at cha,, kay Sgt. What's up,{SGT} You every given a thought to asking for a transfer to mounted??{ME} You mean bikes Sgt? No mounted as in HORSES,,

No Sgt I haven't, well some one thought you mite like it as I have your orders here. OK when do I report? Monday morning at the range ,not the stables.

Monday dawns and off I go, get there and 3 or 4 others guys are standing around with the Sgt talking. One asked if I have ever ridden, I responded with a little ,but nothing to talk about, so I get taken over to "Susie" for an introduction, good looking Morgan cross stood 14 1/2 hands tall, I asked the Sgt if he was sure I wouldn't hurt her as I was push-en 290 then,, told nope go ahead.

Now those who know horse know that most if not all are taught to hold for a mount from the left,,, Well I'm left handed and the only horse I had rode was a grandfathers you could mount from either side.

I took the reins and a hock of mane, planted my left foot in the stirrup and heaved up,I got about half way up and she started up, I made the prettiest swan dive into the dirt you have ever seen The boys where just rolling.

I picked myself up,walked back over and this time grabbed reins on the other side stuck my foot in again and heaved up, and promptly got bite on the thigh, after hopping around and calling her several choice names,, I turn and stated " Alright dingbats,whats the secret?"

{Sgt} Just stay with it DJ, she'll warm up to ya. So 2 or 3 more times we had fun try'en to ride Susie, by mid afternoon she had finally accepted me and we spent the rest of the afternoon learning drills on proper riding and and just moving among things.

Went home that night to the girlfriend after a few beers with the boys, walked in the door and she came to greet me, took one look at me and asked what happen, the cuts and bruises where glowing good by then I guess.

Told her i had been try'en to ride Susie,,next thing I knew she slapped me so hard it spun me out from under my hat.

"WHAT THE HELL YA MEAN YA BEEN RIDING SUSIE!!! SUSIE WHO I"LL SLAP THAT GIRL!!.

Debbie its a horse!!!!

OH!! I'm sorry and with that she turned and went back to her soaps

Ole Wade and I where setting at the counter at Mama Jeans one after noon after the shift and talking the day over,,trying to fig're what to do on the weekend.

Wade allowed as how we should go "noodle'ln" for cats and turtles down at the river behind. We sat there drinking tea and talking it over when in walks Russel and says lets go, tired of talking about it..

Mama Jean says to use her room to change and off we go, she had packed a basket for us and Russel had his crayfish trap and nets , we picked up some rope and the home made stringers.

NOW ! Wade is the first to admit he can't swim a lick, so we agreed that the rope would be tied off to him and any ole tree we could find on the bank.

River was just right "muddy brown" and move'en slow, we slipped off our jeans and shirts and hit the water,Russel and I.

For about an hour we worked the bank and came up with about five or six real good size mud's and flathead's, threw them to Wade and moved on.

Just around a bend in a small back cove there was an eddie, Wade decided to come in, we found an old Cotton wood and tied him off gave him about 20 foot of rope and off he went, bobbin like a Cork bobber.

NOW Wade being from Georgia told us he always knew every thing about catfish and turtles, so we didn't offer any advice, just told him be careful of the holes.

We layed back on the bank , and watched him work, sun beaten down nice and warm, next thing we know , some ones screaming for "HELP, YOU CLOWNS!!!!"

We jumped up and see Wade fighting with some thing in the water and its got a good hold on him as his head goes under after ever CLOWNS!!.

We walked down to the bank and asked him "what's matter" next time his head came up, all he could say was "some thing bit me" and down he went, water splashing all over as he kicked, Russel and I looked at each other and decided to wait for him to come up again for , air and ask again, which he did in about 30 seconds,,seems he was getting real mad at us for not jump'en in, so we swam out to him and grabbed his legs and pulled him in, just as we got clear and on the bank and could see Wade's head and arms,

We saw what had ahold of him, large tree branch and about a tire size snapper, which had caught ahold of his new super duper military issue watch band made out of Kevlar and some thing else.

We got every one to the bank and calmed Wade down and went over and cut off the head,and then pulled his arm out of the branch.

Asked Wade what happened and he allowed as how he was moving along feeling for holes and found one he could put his whole arm in, felt around , and thought he felt a turtles back, tried to pull his arm out and it grabbed him with its "arms".

We 'bout fell out , laughing so hard we couldn't take a breath.

"DAMN WADE" Turtles don't hold with their arms, it was the tree branch. He was lucky though, that the snapper didn't get his fingers.

Russel and I took the fish and we made Wade carry the snapper back to Mama Jeans and she made some of the best dipped and fried in cornmeal catfish and turtle fingers along with hush puppies and baked beans you have ever wrapped your lips around.

Late one night , I was rolling along and the dispatcher pipes up and tells Wade to respond to a break in at the St.John church,,, Bill and I looked at each other and started smiling,, Hell lets go,,

Wade is calling out his ETA and we are ghost'en him,,as we round the corner and hit the main drag we see him up ahead, Bill grabs the mike and starts to yell into it << DON"T DRIVE THRU THE YARD!!!!!!!!!!

Wade never heard a word spoken,,, some where just shy of 60mph Ole Wade hits the curb bounces up and into the yard, he manges to miss all the HEADSTONES,, but just as he got to the front of the church he struck an open grave .

The old Galaxy went in nose first.

We pulled up and Bill walks over " Hey Wade??? Pard you okay, want I should get some thing for you??

This small voice comes back and tells Bill and I to push off he is just fine,,so we asked him if we should finish the call for him,as he was busy at the moment..

We turned to go toward the church when the side door slipped open and Mr. Banks came out with his shotgun,,, HEY MR.BANKS ITS DAVE AND BILL!!!!!{Banks was 80 years old,deaf as a stump}.

What you boys doing here?? AND WHAT THE HELL IS THAT CAR DOING IN MY FRESH DUG GRAVE??

So we tell him what was going on, "Bill go in the shop out back and bring the tractor around, Dave go get some chain from the shed" Yes sir and off we went.

After 3 try's we got the car out, and left Wade to explain to the Sheriff as he pulled up.

As we left the Sheriff was saying some thing about a psych exam, for any one dumb enough to drive thru a grave yard.

Hope by Christ ,kill me this is the truth

Wade , Bill and I where great buddies with the local Game&Fish guys, used to hang out and hunt together, they worked off of our radio net and in the station as it was the county seat to boot.

We had one gentleman {lose term} on our squad that loved the practical jokes, but has a habit of making them mean spirited. SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One night the three of us got together and called the boys in G&F.

Month goes by and we get the call we wanted,, seems they had recovered a dead 4ft alligator, don't know where from or how, said we could have it.

Late one Friday night while the "joker" was out and about on the town, we slipped over to the apartment building and convinced the super we had to get into his apartment, as we where sliding along the walls carrying the dead gator,{ wrapped in a blanket} we got to laughing so hard Wade kept dropping the tail, we let ourselves in and walked directly into the bathroom,
    Now this was a standard apartment size bathroom tub/shower, right next to the john, so we placed the gator in the tube, filled it with water and closed the curtain. And we left.

Along about midnight "joker" comes home, up the stairs into the apartment singing and having a good ole time.{ This from the super}

Dispatcher: Sir clam down , what are you trying to tell me??
    Super: That DAMN CRAZY Deputy of yours is shooting up the place!!!!
    Dispatcher: Sir we have a unit in route.

120, show me out of unit
    120: Rodger

about 20 minutes goes by

Dispatcher: 120 go

120: Ah dispatch seems Deputy{joker} has had a discharge{Laughing can be heard}

Dispatcher:120 do you need backup?
    120: Rodger that dispatch and send the fire boys over this way and the town plumber.. Tell the Sheriff he needs to see this.

Dispatcher: 120 you realize its 0100 ??
    120: Yep{ LOUD BELLY LAUGHS}

Sheriff: WHAT THE HELL YA CALLING ME OUT FOR!!!!!

This way SIR!!

0200hrs, I Deputy so and so received message to respond to shots fired at the above listed location, upon arrival I marked out and went to the apartment in question,, as I approached I heard what appeared to be a human screaming, no gunshots.

Door was breached and at gun point I entered the room, where I found Deputy {joker} with gun in left hand , pants unzipped and his right hand, occupied, as he was waving it about{ gun that is} I order him to drop it. He complied.

I handcuffed him for my protection as he was quit irate and incoherent.

I placed him in the bedroom and entered the bathroom. {Photos attached}

One ALLIGATOR, approximately 4ft long was laying in the bathtub, What appears to be 13 bullet holes found in the back part of it, 17 pieces of spent pistol brass found on floor, caliber 9mm {department issue}, one spent magazine.

Once Fire arrived we requested Game and Fish Duty Officer{ Friend}, his arrival confirmed it was a dead alligator with 13 bullet holes in him, once gator was removed we also found 10 holes that appear to go through and through the bottom of said tub.

Next morning

Sheriff: Deputy joker YOU WILL GIVE ME A FULL ACCOUNTING !!!!!

Joker: Well SIR I was out having a good time last night so its a bit fuzzy, but I got home and had to take a leak, I remember walking into the bathroom unzipping and taking Mr.Willy{ Muffled laughing} out next thing I know theres this gator starring at me and I shot it.

Bill,Wade and I where in the back listening to the whole story unfold laughing like a bunch of school kids,

Joker was suspended for 15 days no pay, had to make full restitution to the landlord for damages to his and the bottom apartment.

Once he got back to work , Bill walked passed him one afternoon and leaned over and whispered, "NEXT TIME IT WILL BE A RATTLER"

He never played another joke on the three of us

Hope this wakes up the place a tad

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links