LEO stories

This is a discussion on LEO stories within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hehe!...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: LEO stories

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Hehe!

2. Remove Ads

This one isn't made for the movies but I laugh when I think about it.

Last Christmas I was dispatched to a heart attack in a local church. I walked in-uniform on, medical bag and AED in tow, and was directed to this guy sitting in the front row of church with his family. The sermon was still going on, for some reason the pastor never bothered to give this family any privacy. I walk up the rows of pews and staring people and start talking to the guy, who seemed stable and didn't have any signs of any apparent emergency. His wife was sobbing, so my partner tended to the guy I tried to comfort the family. I wispered into the woman's ear "Don't worry ma'am, the ambulance should only be a minute away." This little 70 year old grandmother, in the front row of church, in the middle of a sermon, on Christmas day, screams at the top of her lungs "ON ITS WAY! THEN WHO ARE YOU!" The pastor finally realized it was time to stop talking.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Thanks guys for keeping this going. I just got back from vacation in SC and enjoyed the new stories from the last week.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. Great reading in here.

Thanks everyone who wrote in - I very much enjoyed all the stories. Next guy that tells me cops get overpaid is really gonna hear it from me.

Senior Moderator
    Another nasty call...

One rainy night, I got a call that a suicidal man was beating on the door to his girlfriends house and that he was threatening to kill her. I had another officer with me, and we had just got back from transporting 2 certifiable wackos to the state Looney Tune farm in the big city.

This call was on the other side of the country,(like usual) and a good 20minutes from where we were at. The only other unit out was the shift LT and he had with him a new guy that was doing his field training...he hadn't been out of the academy more than a couple of weeks.

The LT and his newbie went on their way and told us to step it up to get there.
    In the meantime, dispatch had the woman on the line, and she was frantic. They could hear the guy banging on the door, yelling and screaming that he was going to kill her. She had armed herself with a single shot 12 gage and was scared to death.

The dude must have heard the LT's siren, because all of a sudden he took off. Dispatch told us that he had left, and gave us a description of the vehicle a new bright red Camaro.. He passed the LT at a high rate of speed going in the opposite direction and the LT whipped it around and a chase ensued.

The chase went several miles and the Camaro pulled off of the road and came to a stop. The LT and the rookie came out with guns up and ordered him out. Right about then BAM...they heard the shot and being that it was windy, raining out and kind of hard to see their initial thought was that he had shot at them so they both took cover behind the door.

Right about then we pull up and see them behind the doors...they are behind the car and I had stopped about 20 or so yards away angled in front of it. We came out guns in hand and took cover and had really no idea what had transpired. We yelled at each other and I managed to turn my spotlight on the car. The inside of the windshield was not clear as it should have been.

After a few minutes of commands and no movement, we all eased up to the vehicle. The irate boyfriend had decided to end it all right there. He put a 12 gage Winchester under his chin and pulled the trigger, painting the inside of the windows, the windshield and the roof of the car with blood. It was a mess.

After the usual routine of calling the Sheriff and notifying the CID, the coroner and the Chaplain so that he could notify the next of kin, we filled out the reports and continued the rest of the shift.

Unfortunately, as a result of that shooting, the rookie turned in his equipment the next day and quit. It was more than he could stand. All of his life he wanted to be a cop. He first became a jailer, and finally got his chance to go to the academy.He was so excited to finally get to be what he wanted to be. After that shooting, he just couldn't stand the fact that he saw what he saw and decided that if he had to endure much of that then being a cop wasn't for him.It was a shame really. He was well liked and seemed to have a lot of potential.

One never really can tell how they will handle it until they are put in that position. Nobody likes it.Some learn to deal with it and get through it and some never get that far.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

BAC
    Is it me or are about all of the problems I'm reading drugs or mental illness related? Kinda makes me wonder what crime rates would look like if those were omitted from the statistics...

-B

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Is it me or are about all of the problems I'm reading drugs or mental illness related? Kinda makes me wonder what crime rates would look like if those were omitted from the statistics...

-B
    Drugs and alcohol relate to 90% of the calls we deal with, mentals about 4-5%.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Seems like we get more than our share of mental cases sometimes....of course, being in Arkansas some family trees are straight....
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Hotguns
    A somewhat funnier story than yours but involves a windshield. Witnessed an hard rear ender, with lots of damage, running up to the car the windshield is covered in red, I tell my buddy this does not look good, although the window is intact. Upon reaching the vehicle I stare at the driver who is completely covered in red and looking at me, I then realized that the car was a pizza delivery car and in the accident the pizza’s splattered all over the inside of the car, when we saw that no one was really hurt we started to laugh uncontrollable, it was a funny sight and I was glad nobody was hurt.

Senior Moderator
    Colin...

that IS funny.

I can just magine...

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If not for alcohol, EMS crews would be quite bored (at least between 1800 and 0600).

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

This is not an LEO story but a fire department story. The Pope AFB fire department got a call from the base commanders wife about a cat stuck in the very large pecan tree in her back yard. Bob the lieutenant on the call got there and saw the cat. He tried to persuade the commanders wife that they never find cat skeletons in trees. The cat will find it's own way down. She will hear nothing off it and demands that they do something about the cat. Well Bob is not about to get one of his men hurt over a cat so he has the truck dial up the pressure on one of the hoses. He stands there and opens the valve shooting a straight stream of water about 40' higher then the top of the tree, with the cat on top of the stream of water making quite a racket. When he cut the water off the cat came about 80' straight down and landed on the side walk with a thump but ran off. He loaded up the truck and headed back with his guys. Buy the time he got back the chief told him the base commander wanted to see him. Off he went to the commanders office and relayed the story about not wanting to get one of his guys injured because of a cat. The commander agreed with him and said, "my wife thinks I'm reading you the riot act right now so when you go out make sure you look like a whooped puppy to keep me out of trouble".
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Seems like we get more than our share of mental cases sometimes....of course, being in Arkansas some family trees are straight....
    Hey, I resemble that remark.

Senior Moderator
    Last weekend we heard a call on the radio that a 10 year old kid was throwing a fit and the parents had called a Deputy to "help".

Me and my partner looked at each other and laughed. He was thinking exactly the same thing I was and said, "it sounds like they ALL need an a butt whoopin."

What's the world coming too when a parent cant control a 10 year old kid and calls the "Law "to do it for them? Is it any wonder why things are degrading at an alarming rate?

Its a good thing I didnt take the call. I would have gotten a complaint lodged against me.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links