LEO stories

LEO stories

This is a discussion on LEO stories within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIXTO I got lots of good stories to tell, but I was excluded from the thread. This was posted in the thread ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LEO stories

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar

LEO stories

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I got lots of good stories to tell, but I was excluded from the thread.
    This was posted in the thread asking how many times you've drawn you're weapon. I would love to hear these stories and any other from LEO. I respect LEOs and the job they do and I also love to hear stories where the good guy wins.

After 25 years on full time active duty, too many times to count.
    A lot of reasons why we have to draw a weapon.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I'm not really asking for reasons why or how many times you've drawn, I'm just asking if you have any good stories. Most officers have at least one or two great stories, and I'd love to hear them.

My bad, let me think on it some.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    I have a couple, some I cant share just yet. I'll type some of the better ones up later when I have more time to tell a good story.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

well, I'll tell ya, I feel for LEO's. I have some friends and family thats LEO and I tell you what, you can have it. I dont know how you do it. Makes me want to cry sometimes when I see a cop out trying to work and pay his bills and put food on the table for his/her family and they get run over, shot at, beat on, accused of things. Man, I could not do it.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Administrator
    Heres a quick one;

Me and a couple of coworkers went to go pick up a guy who was wanted on a rape warrant. This guy is a nasty dude, fresh out of prison and not to happy about going back.

We go to his grandma's house were the crime took place and where he was living. A couple of guys go to the front door, and a couple of us take the back corners. I was on a back corner.

Sure enough, he bolts out the back door. He hops the chainlink fence and goes around the neighbors house, towards the street. I'm hot on his heels, yelling everything at him I can think of. We are running down the street, I'm yelling, and he's yelling back and nobody else is keeping up with us. I'm all alone with this joker.

We run for what seems like miles, I was on his heels the entire time, but I just wasnt fast enough to catch him. I even tried to trip him a few times to get him to fall.

Finally, he has had enough of running, and dips into the woods. He hops another fence and disappears. I start over the fence, and see why he vanished... its a steep, deep ravine. I can hear him crashing to the bottom. So, I just wait. Finally, the crashing stops, and all I hear is him wimpering. There is no way in hades I'm going in there alone after him.

Then, I hear him moving through the thick foilage again, I just follow the sound staying on top of the ravine. He finally comes to a clearing, and we make eye contact, I have him at gun point. I lie to him and tell him I'm tired of running, and if he runs, I'm just going to shoot him and be done with it. (I know, I know, I cant shoot a fleeing felon... but he doesnt )

So, I get on the radio and let everyone know I got him at gun point... only one problem. I have no idea where I am at this point. (huge rookie mistake on my part) We have been running for about an hour, through woods, over fences through yards. All I know is that I am in the woods west of where I started. Finally, a homeowner came out to see what was going on. I had to ask him his address so I can get some help.

While all this is going on, the suspect is not running, but he is refusing to show me his hands or do anything for that matter. He kept reaching inside his jacket. My trigger was at the breaking point when he finally dropped and proned himself out face down. I think he could hear the sear creeking as I squeezed the trigger of my Sig. I know I heard it.

To my suprise, the first help that gets to me was some Sheriffs deputies. It turned out that we were a good three miles outside of the city we started in, and about four miles from where we started. I think in total we ran about eight.

The transported him to the jail for me, and I hitched a ride back to where we started.

I later found out that the guy did have a Rossi tucked in the small of his back. The deputies found it when they took him into custody.

He did show up to court the following monday covered from head to toe in poisen ivy
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 7th, 2008 at 10:48 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Heres one that I posted back in November...

We were short a few Deputes on the evening shift due to deer season so I got asked to cover for one of the guys so he could go to deer camp.. Since I've got meat in the freezer I agreed. On this trip I took a ride along with me, one of the jailers that likes to go cruise with everyone after he gets off of his shift. I know the guy and he asks if he can go with me, and we take off.

A few hours into the shift, we get a domestic dispute call. The players here where well known by all of the local law,as they liked to call the police and have each other arrested about once a week. The boyfriend is the typical scuzball, an ex felon,with prison tattoos,lengthy record of arrests,most of them for acting the fool and the fact that when he gets drunk,(which is quite often) he turns into a superhuman being with the powers and strength of Superman...or so he thinks.

Only this time was different because not only was he drunk, but he had a GUN. Now everyone knows that it is illegal for a felon to be in possession of a gun, but in his drunken stupor he forgot that and threatened his live-in girlfriend with it.

A couple of units arrive and take the guy into custody,and he swears that he has never seen the gun that his live-in is talking about. We see nothing in plain sight thats obvious so we hook him up and put him in the back of the car.While hes there the girlfriend begs and pleads with us to find the gun and take it so that he cant threaten her with it again. So at her insistence, we look around but we don't find anything. This place is dirty,ugly,smells like B.O.and stale alcohol and if you look up "pigsty" in the dictionary,there will be a picture of this house under it. They had at least 6 rather large dogs in the place,one that never left the porch,one laying in the driveway, one on the couch, one in the middle of the floor, one scared one under the kitchen table and one that constantly followed us around the house....this one a black lab that looked about half grown...still in the puppy mode.

So we(me mostly) are talking to the girlfriend on the porch and explaining to her that we couldn't find a gun, and to be honest with everyone, I'm not sure that any of us looked that hard. In the few minutes that I was there I ready to take a shower and had already slapped a few fleas off of me...

The puppy is a playful thing and like any other lab I've had the pleasure of associating with, he was loving the attention the my ride along was giving him. He picks up what looks like and old sock and chunks it off the porch out into the dark and puppy takes off and like the natural born retriever that all labs are he brings it right back. This goes on for maybe two minutes while I'm standing there talking to the woman.

We get ready to go and the Jailer chunks the sock just one last time off by the trashcan...the one thats full and overflowing with empty beer cans on the ground all over the place, and you'll never guess what the puppy brought back...

...a nice little blued Taurus Model 85 .38 special that he drops right at our feet.

We are standing there in shock and disbeleif...
    Its got 5 HP's in it and Mr.Scuzball with the wideyes says he has no idea where it has come from and that he's never seen it. We tell him no problem, we'll take care of it.

And we did,right after the fingerprint check confirmed that it was his finger pints all over it and the bullets....with a bit of smudging on the barrel from some dog slobber.

For the moment, Mr. Gunowning felon is in jail for quite sometime with various charges as he was unable to post bond. After some prodding from the Investigator on duty, he did later admit that he won it in a poker game.

The moral of the story here...if you are going to hide your gun in the yard, make sure that your labador Retriever is locked up.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

hotguns, that's hilarious! thanks for sharing.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

VIP Member
    Sixto and Hotguns...
    Great way to start the morning!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    That was good HotGuns... I always felt that God had blessed every Lab.

Here is another;

One night on third shift a couple of winters ago, I get a call to a very nice neighborhood that sits in the woods. The house that I'm going to sits all the back in the far end, I think its best lot in the hood. The call is for a "Monster" prowling around the deck.
    I can hear the dispatchers giggling in the backround as they give me the call. So, now I'm wondering if its a joke, so I use my MDC to send a message to disapatch asking for further details. If it wasnt a joke, I was expecting her to tell me some little girl was home alone and heard a noise that scared her.
    Oh no, she said the male homeowner called, and he thinks there is a monster outside.... Great. There goes my quite night, I have to deal with a mental now.

So I get there, and pull all the way back to the house. If there was a monster, I was hoping he would get scared off by my car. No such luck.
    I was greated by a very large man wearing a floral robe. He says he and his friend were sleeping inside, when the heard some noises on the deck. He looked outside and saw the trash can moving around, so he went and called 911.
    Now I knew what was up. This fool bought a nice home back in the woods, and his "monster" was a raccoon raiding his trash can. He should have stayed in the city.
    So I walk around back, and sure enough, the can was bouncing all over the place. The can was one of those large heavy plastic ones on wheels, with its lid attached on hinges. Around here the garbage company sells/rents them.

So, I peek in with my light... it was one angry raccoon stuck in the can. As I'm peeking in, another schrill voice with a New Jersey accent screams OMG!, is it a badger Officer? This about makes me drop a load, because I'm still peaking in, and didnt expect anybody to start screaming. I say screaming, cause it was. I expected to look up and see a young girl. Nope, it was another guy, this one looked like Mr. Clean. He kept going on and on about a badger. I told him it was just a raccoon, you'll have these things living on the edge of the woods.

Nope, not good enough. He insisted it was a badger, and I needed to take care of it. So, I say, fine, I'll rid you of this badger. So, I took the can and rolled it around the corner out of their sight, and dumped it over. The raccoon did just as I expected and took off towards the woods.

I brought the can back to the great full guys. The man in the floral rob shook my hand and thanked me, schrill voice wanted to hug me... nope that aint happening.
    A few days go by and I'm called into the chiefs office. He wants to know the story, and is laughing while I tell it. Then he slides a cookie tin over to me, along with a thank you note. The note talks about the dangerous badgers in the area and how the brave officer took care of it without firing a shot etc.
    Turns out "Bert and Ernie" made some cookies as a thank you, and are still convinced that there are badgers and monsters lurking in the woods behind their love nest.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thank you Sixto and Hotguns, those were great. I appreciate the stories.

I must say I laughed my butt off on the poison ivy and that the other guys own dog turned in his gun. Priceless.

these have been great... thanks

Senior Moderator
    Telling this one third hand, but it's worth it.

I was on the scene (as an EMS provider) of what turned out to be a fake "one shot" call, with a handful of local LEOs, including one particular young officer, fresh out of his FTO period and newly on his own.

He pulls out his radio to clear the call, and several of the officers nearby dive for cover. This was back before lapel mikes were common, in the pre-Saber days when both fire and police carried these huge GE radios.

He clears the call, gives his fellow officers the finger, and heads off. I'm standing there looking quite confused, so against my better judgment, I inquire as to what the heck these guys and gals are doing.

Turns out that the week prior, the officer with the radio, who we'll call Officer X, responded to a domestic violence call (believed to be non-violent at the time of the 911 call).

Officer X, just out of FTO time and ready to crush crime and save the world, pauses by the front door and hearing nothing, knocks. The door is answered by a woman who is covered in blood. Officer X has his radio in his left hand, and is now holding this blood-soaked person up / off him with his other, when the other half of the assault comes barreling down the hallway toward them with something in his hand.

Left with few options, Officer X calls out the "Officer Needs Assistance" code into his radio as he yanks the woman out the door with his other hand. He then throws the radio at the guy and backpedals. The storm door closes, and Officer X drags the woman off to the side, draws and covers the door, and waits the short couple minutes for the cavalry.

A bunch of officers get there in short order. They attempt to make contact with the assailant with no avail, so they enter the residence. Where they find the assailant unconscious on the floor, with a large knife lying next to him and a nasty looking bump and cut on his head. Lying on the other side of the guy is a slightly bloody GE portable radio. Seems his reflexive throw was spot on, pegged the guy right in the forehead, and dropped him quite effectively.

For a while thereafter, when Officer X pulled his radio out of the belt holder, his fellow officers would seek cover.

Overgrown kids with guns. :) (and some of the finest people I've ever known)
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links