Son joining Mississippi Air National Guard

This is a discussion on Son joining Mississippi Air National Guard within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My oldest son (23) has just joined the Mississippi Air National Guard. He is waiting to find out when he will go to basic training ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Son joining Mississippi Air National Guard

My oldest son (23) has just joined the Mississippi Air National Guard. He is waiting to find out when he will go to basic training and technical school. He wants to do integrated avionics in tech. He is excited and looking forward to getting on with it, and is working out to get in shape for basic. Basic will be in Lackland AFB in Texas. Tech school most likely will be split between Keesler AFB in Mississippi and Shepard AFB in Texas. He will get a $20000 signon bonus and extra pay for when he is attending college classes, so this will help pay for his education. Any advice from some of you vets out there?
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Keep studying hard and be determined to be the best integrated avionics tech in the Air Force - and thank him for his service to our country. And if he ends up in the sandbox, keep his head low.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    Thank him for his service for me!

Quote Originally Posted by dhbry232 View Post
    My oldest son (23) has just joined the Mississippi Air National Guard. He is waiting to find out when he will go to basic training and technical school. He wants to do integrated avionics in tech. He is excited and looking forward to getting on with it, and is working out to get in shape for basic. Basic will be in Lackland AFB in Texas. Tech school most likely will be split between Keesler AFB in Mississippi and Shepard AFB in Texas. He will get a $20000 signon bonus and extra pay for when he is attending college classes, so this will help pay for his education. Any advice from some of you vets out there?
    As I told my son when he joined the military, "Pay attention to the details." It makes everything go so much smoother!

And be sure to tell your son "thanks" for his service!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

$20K to enlist??? I signed up for free to avoid the draft.
    He'll be in one of the safest environments in the military. Thanks for his service!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

eww
    If his school is a Keesler A.F.B let me know. I'll say hello. If he gets
    integrated avionics then he will probably come to Keesler for Basic Electronics.

In 1978 my wife joined the Air Force and became an avionics tech. We are both retired Air Force and she is a civil service C-17 electrician. Her coworkers are proud to have her working with them and she has always done a good job keeping our countries aircraft in the air. We value the experience that we both got in the Air Force and the benefits for staying in until we could retire. My next use of the benefits is a cataract operation I'm getting on the 20th of February. In the past 3 years I've had over $250,000 worth of surgery that the Air Force Tricare Prime medical care helped pay for. I've still paid for a bunch of my own medical care but with out it I'd be broke now. My Father is 85 years old and retired from the Air Force Reserves in 1980. He is glad he stuck with it through thick and thin. He was also civil service at the Air Force Academy for 28 years and was the 126th civilian employee they hired when they first opened it up. Tell your son to stick with it. It all adds up. Without my wife's and my retirements our standard of living would be much lower. We wouldn't have near as many guns, ammo, reloading stuff or be able to live in the country with the freedom that comes with it . ;-)
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

EW3
    I'm in the PA Air Guard right now. He will be in good hands; the ANG rarely deploys whole units involuntarily, so most call-ups will be voluntary, in smaller groups, except if a Katrina or 9/11 hits again. From what I'm hearing, the powers that be are working to shift the Air Guard back to supporting more stateside stuff like disaster response and homeland security--what the Guard was for in the first place. I was also at Keelser in 2006 retraining, it wasn't all that bad, even for the "non-priors" which he will be a part of. Compared to when I was in the Army the first time around, they have it extremely easy there.

Does he know if he will be in the *new* 8 week long Basic Training, or the *old* 6 weeks? I'm not sure if that has started yet. He will be getting the new duds in the picture:

"Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Camo...why?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Camo...why?
    The AF has worn camo of some form or another since the late 1980's. The new Airman Battle Uniform (ABU) is just the AFs "me too" version of the new Army Combat Uniform (ACU). No pressing is needed, just wash, dry and hang up. The no-shine boots are a concept all the services are going to, which I believe was started by the Marines, which was really surprising to me. The color is greyish-slate-blue, which I'm still trying to figure out what that blends into other than concrete flightlines.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

when i was in the army, i learned you never want to volenteer for a detail.
    drill instuctor asked if i had a drivers license,i say yes drill sargent, he said
    good. go drive that wheel barrel.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    Does he know if he will be in the *new* 8 week long Basic Training, or the *old* 6 weeks? I'm not sure if that has started yet. He will be getting the new duds in the picture:

If he can get in soon enough, he will be in the "6 week program". He has to do a weekend at Keesler they call "Pre-Basic". Don't know what the schedule or agenda is for that. He hopes to hear soon as to when he can go, but only so many slots are reserved for ANG in the tech school, so he may have a wait ahead of him. In the mean time, he can do student flight drill at the local base once a month. He is looking for temporary work right now until he gets the call. Or, if it will be long enough, he may get back into school for the summer. Just wish they could give him a better idea of how long it will be.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I wish I had seen a podiatrist about six months before I shipped. I think it would have saved me a lot of time, money, and pain. And I would probably be in the sandbox right now.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by glock27mark View Post
    when i was in the army, i learned you never want to volenteer for a detail.
    drill instuctor asked if i had a drivers license,i say yes drill sargent, he said
    good. go drive that wheel barrel.
    LOL! So true!

Another bit of advice to your son is to strive to NOT stand out too much, or even worse somehow let the Smokey the Bear hat wearing TI (AF equivalent of DI) know his name on Day 1. He wants to blend it, do what he is told and if he can make it through to graduation day and the TI says "Who are you?", then he is golden!

Currently a guardsman in pilot training. Was prior enlisted for 5 years. Just tell him to keep his nose clean and dont be an idiot. Things will be tough, but they will work out as long as he stays out of trouble and does the best he can. Dont base his opinion of the ANG on basic training and tech school. AETC is not how the entire AF/ANG works. Good luck to him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links