Did This LEO Go Overboard While Dealing With Skateboarder?

This is a discussion on Did This LEO Go Overboard While Dealing With Skateboarder? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; FARK.com: Fark YouTube Player (3393308) Baltimore's finest calmly and politely asks a skateboarder to leave Watch the video first, and then read the update here: ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did This LEO Go Overboard While Dealing With Skateboarder?

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Did This LEO Go Overboard While Dealing With Skateboarder?

FARK.com: Fark YouTube Player (3393308) Baltimore's finest calmly and politely asks a skateboarder to leave

Watch the video first, and then read the update here:

Inner Harbor incident hits Internet -- baltimoresun.com

Let me know what you think. I am especially interested in views from current/former LEO's.

Thanks all,

Mike
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

that LEO definitely crossed the line. over zealous cops were something i had to deal with growing up; i was a skater kid, too. you'd think LEOs would have other, better things to do than chase down skateboarders.

Not an LEO, but I'm a dad, and I'd say this officer cares about these kids more than is good for his career. If he didn't care, he wouldn't have made such a fuss. Bottom line is the kid needs some good parenting, but the officer probably would have been fine sans the headlock.

From the video only, which may not show the whole incident, I would say that the officer did overreact. Yelling at, but especially going hands-on with anyone who has not shown any aggression or resistance, but especially a juvenile, is a very bad idea in the digital age. Reading the article afterward, I was surprised to see that the officer has not had any other complaints in his 17 yr. career. Makes me think that that the officer is probably going through issues at home with his own family that affected him at work. OMO
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    that LEO definitely crossed the line. over zealous cops were something i had to deal with growing up; i was a skater kid, too. you'd think LEOs would have other, better things to do than chase down skateboarders.
    As an adult now, certainly you understand the liability these kids put on property owners as well as the destruction that come with repeated grinds and slides on surfaces that were never intended for such uses. Officers are just responding to citizen complaints.

As for the officer, yes it appears he went overboard, but the video is cropped from the middle of the encounter.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm not against 'helping' kids to learn about respect...I do it every day...but the adult in the situation (including this one) must do it in a respectful way. Verbal force, respectfully used, can be very effective.
    You don't force respect, you earn it by being fair, firm, and consistent.

This cop appears to have worked himself up to a challenge that has not presented itself...OMO.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    From the video only, which may not show the whole incident, I would say that the officer did overreact. Yelling at, but especially going hands-on with anyone who has not shown any aggression or resistance, but especially a juvenile, is a very bad idea in the digital age. Reading the article afterward, I was surprised to see that the officer has not had any other complaints in his 17 yr. career. Makes me think that that the officer is probably going through issues at home with his own family that affected him at work. OMO
    Yeah I would like to see the incident from the begining and not just the part where the officer is yelling at the kid.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

As an LEO, I understand the officer's sentiment very well, but he went overboard, especially going hands-on with this 14 year old. I think he needs to take a few days off and relax. The job can get to you.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I can't say that the LEO was justified but from the experiences I have had with skateboarders I would say that he was probably taking it easy on them. Around here skateboarders have a bad reputation and well deserved but I am just an old fogey who thinks kids should respect their elders and other people's property.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I agree with respecting elders...but LEOs are suppose to be a voice of calm, in control at all times. This guy was out of control...hence, his suspension. I suspect that he has a track record, despite no formal complaints.

At first, I thought it was staged until I read the article...how could he not know he was being taped?

I think he crossed the line and taught/instilled nothing but "fear" to the youth...not respect...not positive and sound relationship to the adults of tomorrow.

Rick

Officer Farva and his department has a lawsuit in their future.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I've seen another one sort of like this except that the kids were being aggressive,belligerent, and evasive; first I assumed it was the same based on the title. This almost looks fabricated.

"You got that camera on? If I find myself on..." I wonder if he finished that with 'the internet, Ima shove..." He realized he was caught. 10% of all groups.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

He was way out of line and doesn't help the LEO's of Baltimore look good. If I saw him on tape do that to my kid we would definatly have words. The kid was 14! Was clearly not a threat. Maybe he has his own fatherly issues that need to be addressed.

I think someone got beat up on the playground by a skateboarder when he was in junior high.. resenting it his whole life.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    As for the officer, yes it appears he went overboard, but the video is cropped from the middle of the encounter.
    It seems these type of videos usually are... I wonder why?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links