With a concerted effort --

This is a discussion on With a concerted effort -- within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Could we rid ourselves of the plague of gang problems.? This comes somewhat to the fore right now - with the mass dissemination of folks ...

Thread: With a concerted effort --

Assistant Administrator

With a concerted effort --

Could we rid ourselves of the plague of gang problems.?

This comes somewhat to the fore right now - with the mass dissemination of folks from NO - which I'll wager includes some/many gangsta types - even MS-13.

An LEO on another board mentioned, re Houston - ''I see many vehicles with LA dealer licence plates, within which are obvious ''gangsta'' types - but as those vehicles are not reported stolen I can but say ''have a nice day''!!!

I doubt LE alone can manage these scum but - thinking of concerted efforts by the law abiding folks - if it were possible - could we with some organization, be rid of them?

It would involve a messy process I might add... and would finish up being entirely Good Guys vs bad Guys but I am thinking that sometime this just might reach such proportions that ''something'' needs done.

One lone CCW would not get far - but many with organization could have some effect. Not I hasten to add out doing vigilante stuff - just being a tight-knit CCW community that could ''respond''!!

I probably as often - have my head up in the clouds - wearing my rose colored glasses! LOL!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I probably as often - have my head up in the clouds - wearing my rose colored glasses! LOL!
    I think it's possible, with organization ahead of time. If we knew others in the area that are like minded and armed, that would solve half of the problem of getting organized.
    Myself, I am not a neighborly person. I lived at the same residence for 8+ years and still don't know many of my neighbors. I just don't trust many people.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Assistant Administrator
    I just don't trust many people.
    Neither do I - and it gets worse with age!

I would tho, if having neighbors like folks here - feel much more able to band together - we are of a like mind and I'd team up with many that post here - with few if any reservations.

What a force for good we could be eh!
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Could we rid ourselves of the plague of gang problems.?...
    I don't think so. It is human nature to form into groups. All life is brutal, violent and ultimately selfish, devoted to survival of the species. Strip away the social veneer and facade of civility, and NOLA shows how quickly human behavior devolves to the lowest common denominator. Gangs are groups. As long as there are humans, there will be groups. As long as there are groups, some will be gangs.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Chris, suggesting to a neighbor to share survival stores and planning could earn the good neighbor nut award I am afraid. Even among shooters you may know it would be difficult to form a group interested in surviving a natural problem. Out here we have to watch for earthquakes and fires. I suppose if LA really got out of hand gangs could drift here in numbers but so far that has not happened. I think your pretty much on your own in today's world. One modifier to that would be where folks tend to hunt or fish together and of course shoot together.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Assistant Administrator
    Richard - I think re neighbor stuff I would be very picky - and on reflection would only consider any approach based on prior knowledge - no way would I ''cold call''. I sure don't need ''nut'' status (any more than I already nay have LOL).

No - I think of just a few folks - connected either with shooting clubs, guys I know who hunt and have a good ''attitude'' - plus a very select few other people who I know are at least part ways on my/our wavelength.

Leave aside pure SHTF stuff, but I could imagine if locally we had gang problems surface, when thus far it is not evident - then I reckon there would be quite a bit of support for some teaming up - not many folks here would put up with blatant gang crap for long!

Pure and total SHTF tho - well, that is gonna be a lonely individual ride for most part, with family - and see where things go. Hardest of situations to dish out too much trust.
    Chris - P95

P95Carry:

Take a look at Ranch Rescue, (if you haven't already), these people on the AZ and NM borders are being forced to do exactly what you propose in order to protect their families, homes and livestock. Their "gang" problem comes from Mexico. They have been obliquely referred to as vigilalntes by our own Secretary of State even though the LE in the area can't deal with the problem due to lack of manpower. It is forseeable that similar scenarios could occur in our own neighborhoods. Hopefully, that would force an organized response but I have little trust in my neighbors even though I live in a rural area. When I was a kid in Iowa, I remember neighbors banding together to solve many problems, during floods, tornadoes, etc. There aren't many of those kinds of people left I fear.
    buzzg

Thinking more about your question, I still think the answer is "no" to getting rid of them, but I think an organized group could affect their behavior and provide some relief and control in a plagued area. Neighborhood Watch and organized efforts can be effective. Here in Richmond, we have seen a community drive away the drug dealers and prostitutes, but the problem didn't go away - it just moved. Yes, it is gone for that neighborhood, but another neighborhood has inherited the problem.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I agree Tom, but if EVERY community pulled together then where would the CRAP go? Hopefully at least as far as DC.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Assistant Administrator
    Hopefully at least as far as DC.
    But cjm - DC is already overloaded with crap - there's not room for any more!
    Chris - P95

Links