Navy Medals

This is a discussion on Navy Medals within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife is making a display for her father for his birthday. His father served in WWII and has since passed. My wife aquired the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navy Medals

Navy Medals

My wife is making a display for her father for his birthday. His father served in WWII and has since passed. My wife aquired the medals that he received. She was about to start when I mentioned that I'm sure that there is a specific way that they should be displayed.

I did a few searches online and was unsuccessful in finding what I need. Perhaps some of you fine gentlemen that were in the Navy could help us out.

The medals are as follows: Purple Heart, WWII Victory, American Campaign, Asiatic Pacific Campaign, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign and The Navy Occupation Service.

She also aquired the ribbon that should be worn on the uniform.

We would appreciate it if someone could tell us how we could properly display these medals.

Thanks.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Google Ribbon Rack Builder. There are a bunch of results...I can't remember which I used last time.

http://www.usmedals.com/RibbonSelect.aspx

this one looks good.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Google Ribbon Rack Builder. There are a bunch of results...I can't remember which I used last time.

this one looks good.
    You beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post

this one looks good.
    This is the place where I got my dad's stuff for WWII and Korea. My stepmom loved it.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Thank you all for the replies. I was actually on that site, but I was unable to find out how the medals should be displayed . Should the highest award be on the left, or should they be displayed in the order that they were received.

The site stated that they will mount the medals for you but my wife would like to do it herself. Not to mention his birthday is tomorrow. My wife likes to wait until that last possible moment to get anything done, unlike her organized, punctual husband.

I'll keep searching, but she is an impatient woman and wants to get this done soon. She is looking over my shoulder and beating me as I type this.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

JD
    Administrator
    The senior medals will should be displayed as if you were looking at them on a uniform. Most senior will be on the upper left IE. if you were wearing them, they would be closest to the heart.

EW3
    There is an order of precedence that goes from left to right, the highest award being closest to the heart as worn on the chest:

I looked up the Navy precedence chart, so the order should be as follows, left to right:

Purple Heart
    American Campaign
    European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign
    Asiatic Pacific Campaign
    WWII Victory
    Navy Occupation Service

Here is that chart:

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/...REG/awards.pdf

Hope this helps!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Thanks to everyone for your help. She is going to get started on the display now. I'm gonna have a peanutbutter sandwich and go to bed. Wow, that sounds pretty pathetic, doesn't it? I never used to spend my Saturday nights like this. 10 years ago the night would have just been starting.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    That's the one I use......and that's bad because I'm active duty and can't remember what goes where.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    That's the one I use......and that's bad because I'm active duty and can't remember what goes where.
    You'd never make it in the Air Force. A four year tour with us, and you've got your tin-horn dictator starter kit.

Cheers,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

M2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    You'd never make it in the Air Force. A four year tour with us, and you've got your tin-horn dictator starter kit.

Cheers,
    Herk
    Typical nav comment!

Just kidding, hope you're still having fun. Retirement is great, but I still miss the adventure...

Cheers! M2

The gift was a hit. He was very happy to see his father's medals. Thanks again to all.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Typical nav comment!

Just kidding, hope you're still having fun. Retirement is great, but I still miss the adventure...

Cheers! M2
    It is.....sad to say.
    After 16 years AD only 2 of my dozen medals/ribbons really mean anything to me at all personally........the rest of 'em are just "chest candy". Maybe when I retire and look back it'll bring a smile, but we'll see.

NY27, I'm glad the sites posted here by all respondants helped out and the shadow box was well recieved.

My great Uncle, whom I was close too, passed away a year ago. A WWII vet who was a battleship sailor from '42 to '46, after his funeral my aunt put together his stuff for a kind of 'memoral' of his wartime navy days. She presented it to me because I'm the only family member serving who'd understand and apppreciate what was in it. His shadow box means more to me that anything I have done in the "canoe club" and I grin every time I stop to look at it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

goldshellback,

He was poking fun at me, a nav(igator). I, in turn, was poking fun at the AF's ribbons and medals program. I think you get one if you sign up for the meal plan at the chow hall now. I could be wrong, but I don't think the Navy's program is nearly that bad.

NY27--I'm glad the guys took care of you, and your dad liked his present. It looked like you already had your answer, otherwise I wouldn't have hijacked the thread.

Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links