New for 2008, US Dept of State's Passport Card

New for 2008, US Dept of State's Passport Card

This is a discussion on New for 2008, US Dept of State's Passport Card within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was about to renew my US passport when I saw this USDOS update: U.S. PASSPORT CARD...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post New for 2008, US Dept of State's Passport Card

Was about to renew my US passport when I saw this USDOS update:

U.S. PASSPORT CARD

Papers, please.

Tracking citizens more and more, yet illegals are still able to get in

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    "There will be no personal information written to the RFID chip itself."

Yeah, OK.....and the check's in the mail
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

And so it begins, Citizens of America welcome to Europe where we have to have ID, something like this is the beginning of the end.
    before you know it, this thing will be a mandatory requirement...
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

VIP Member
    Ok people, calm down.

It is only valid for certain common travel to the US from our neighbors. It is to cut the costs of issuing all the people who cross the border regularly a full passport. Which is a big thing that a lot of people will lose. If I lived near the border or took Caribbean cruises this looks like a good deal. I can carry it in my wallet and I don't need that big passport. Also look at the costs, pretty cheap compared to a regular passport. But hey, if it is that onerous an invasion of your privacy by all means don't get one and don't leave the US. Pretty simple if you ask me. If you get a regular passport there is a barcode on it that they use now to verify your record with a database. The RFID just takes advantage of new technology that will save wear on the card for frequent travelers.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

yeah sure right, more cool aid please.
    Jack dog

Calm down people!!

<Sarcasm ON>
    It's for your own good!!!
    </Sarcasm OFF>

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think it is a good idea...I'd sure like something to put in my wallet vice the bigger passport. Regardless...if you got a background check or served in the military...pretty sure the government knows all about you.

Rick

VIP Member
    Ok, so maybe I wasn't clear. The bold text is key. As for the show us your papers, you already have to do that to enter the US legally only it is a big passport, not a credit card sized id card. I suppose you can go to a bordering country and try to re-enter illegally, but that is up to you.

U.S. PASSPORT CARD APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED BEGINNING FEBRUARY 1

U.S. citizens may begin applying in advance for the new U.S. Passport Card beginning February 1, 2008, U.S. Passport Card in anticipation of land border travel document requirements. We expect cards will be available and mailed to applicants in spring 2008.

The passport card will facilitate entry and expedite document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. It will otherwise carry the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and will be adjudicated to the exact same standards.

The Department of State is issuing this passport card in response to the needs of border resident communities for a less expensive and more portable alternative to the traditional passport book. The card will have the same validity period as a passport book: 10 years for an adult, five for children 15 and younger. For adults who already have a passport book, they may apply for the card as a passport renewal and pay only $20. First-time applicants will pay $45 for adult cards and $35 for children.

To facilitate the frequent travel of U.S. citizens living in border communities and to meet DHS’s operational needs at land borders, the passport card will contain a vicinity-read radio frequency identification (RFID) chip. This chip will link the card to a stored record in secure government databases. There will be no personal information written to the RFID chip itself.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

maybe wait a few weeks, before getting one of "these card's" then they might be giving away "patches", "badges", and "mulit-state permits" in addition to "the card".

Beads and Blankets Program from the Ole West.

This is more adventagous over the old way of my free birth certificate how???

Sounds like more government spending with no added benefit. And more of a burden (albeiit a small one) on regular folks.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag View Post
    This is more adventagous over the old way of my free birth certificate how???
    For one thing, you can no longer enter the country with a birth certificate.

Sounds like more government spending with no added benefit. And more of a burden (albeiit a small one) on regular folks.
    It is a very good benefit. I've always thought the bulky passports were difficult. Now, we can get these cards that you simly put in your wallet.

And it is no burden at all. If you don't want one, don't get one.

This discussion keeps popping up and I have not heard a single credible argument against identifying yourself when entering the country.

I wonder if those that think it is a violation of their 'rights' prefer to simply open the borders to all comers.
    Last edited by SelfDefense; February 18th, 2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: removed inflammatory comment

VIP Member
    Wow, don't you guys have something real to get worked up over? A smaller, cheaper passport for certain modes of international travel is somehow an infringement on your rights and/or privacy? Please...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    For one thing, you can no longer enter the country with a birth certificate.
    Understood. I can see how this is better than a full up passport for people only going between US and either Canada or Mexico. My main question is why the birth certificate was not good enough as per the recent (last year or two) change in the law. Where they that easy for people to forge?

Only three short years ago I was allowed to walk across the Mexico border at Algodones w/ nothing but my DL.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links