Military and LEO

This is a discussion on Military and LEO within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering if there was anything saying I can NOT be active duty military and a reserve police officer. I re-enlisted 6 yrs so ...

Thread: Military and LEO

Military and LEO

I was wondering if there was anything saying I can NOT be active duty military and a reserve police officer. I re-enlisted 6 yrs so i had a nice down payment on my house. I wanted to get out and join the local PD. Can I be a reserve officer and active duty?
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    In my ROTC years, I had a detachment captain (Air Force) that was both active and a reserve deputy. That's been a few years, though.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Lead Moderator
    You probably need to check you up to date Army Regs and them the Police force you want to work with to get the best answer.

When I was in, there was no restriction that I can remember, but my Army (EOD) duties just wouldn't allow it since I was on almost constant call (alert). Your mileage may vary!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Check with your command. Ultimately they get to decide if you can have off-duty employment. I'm assuming you are an active duty Military Police or Security Forces--if so, they may not want you employed outside DoD--kinda jacks with the shift schedule--IMHO.

Check with your command--that's your first stop.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    It is done, some are MP'S

B52
    You can in the Air Force, you just have to get it approved by your commander.

I am just an Engineer, I have been working as a combat engineer for about 3 yrs. but i was trained as an equipment operator. I will check with my PL and PSG first thanks.
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

VIP Member
    Check with your PL and PSG, indeed, but don't take their word as law. There is sure to be a policy letter at the Bn (or Co or Bde) level that will outline your rules for outside employment. In most units I've been in, it's been technically OK, though practically impossible...

Good luck!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

When I was Active Duty we had two. A Chief Aviation Metalsmith (AMC) With the Florida Highway Patrol and a 2nd Class Aviation Maintenance Aministrationman. (AZ2) With the Duval County Sheriff's Office. Both became full time LEO's after the completion of their active duty.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Links