Looking To Join The Army, Navy, Or Coast Guard

This is a discussion on Looking To Join The Army, Navy, Or Coast Guard within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey Guys- Being Young (21) and in college I have been thinking about joining some branch of the military.....It seems like it could be a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking To Join The Army, Navy, Or Coast Guard

Looking To Join The Army, Navy, Or Coast Guard

Hey Guys-

Being Young (21) and in college I have been thinking about joining some branch of the military.....It seems like it could be a pretty good life.

I am mostly interested in the Coast Guard also some interest in the Navy and Air Force as well, I am thinking about entering one of their College student pre commisioning programs, the way I see it since I am going to be a junior next year I can sign into the Coast Guards pre commisioning plan get paid while I go to school and then put in four years as an officer in the Coast Guard.

I mostly want to get some info what it's like in the military, Specifically the Coast Guard, Navy or Air Force when you enter as an officer.

If you guys were going to do what I am planning on doing which branch would you enter and why? What expiriences can you share to help me make a decision.

Thanks
    Josh

2. Remove Ads

I can not answer to the joining the"lesser" branches of service, :) but if you can make it, pay your own college costs while in the pre-commission program. Then you are still free to decide your branch, field and if you sign on.

JCook, it completely depends on the field you go into. A pilots life is a lot different than an engineers. But generically, coast guard typically travels more than the Navy, but when they travel they are generally going somewhere, hence, more port calls. The coast guard in general will be out for less time. In the Navy it's completely dependent on what type of ship you are on, or if you are land based. An aircraft carrier is normally on a 6 months out, 1.5 year in, but with probably 6-8 months of work ups and trianing underways during the 1.5 year in. Aircraft carriers tend to do more circles than actually going to ports. As for smaller ships, i.e. cruisers, destroyers, etc, They generally hit more ports but stick to pretty much the same rotation as an aircraft carrier.

As for the Airforce, after 9-11, they had some guys come to our base(one of the nicest Navy bases that there is) to help with security because we kicked all the civilians off and they got paid an allowance for living in 'substandard housing'. Airforce is probably by far the best quality of life, especially if you like golf.

Again, any branch could be the best, or the worst...it depends on your attitude and the job field that you go into, and how much you enjoy that field.

Whatever you do, ensure that it will transfer over to the civilian side if you decide to get out. Not a huge job market for tank drivers here in the states.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

If you want a chance to see a lot of the world, but not have to do a whole lot so you can continue your education, join the Air Force as an AWACS Surveillance Officer. You'll fly on the AWACS all over the world, but usually only have one flight a month...the rest of the time, there's really not a whole hell of a lot for you to do. You go in the computer simulators to train on the surveillance software a bit every once in a while...other than that, you've got A LOT of time to educate yourself. AWACS Flight Crew is a good way to get completely pointless decorations that count towards your promotion too.

Senior Moderator
    I have a couple of friends who are Coasties and I was a civillian working out of some Coast Guard bases from N.C to FL for a couple of years. They loved what they did, had pretty good stations (Bering Sea in January would suck though) and were great guys.

I would choose the Coast Guard.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Thanks for the advice guys it seems the air force on this forum and 2 others are the most recommended with the Coast Guard second.

keep the advice coming

JCook, what kind of field do you want to go into? It makes a huge difference on the recommendation.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

a lot depends on what you want to do...
    what kind of life you want to have, and do you plan on getting married/having a family?

I spent over 8 years in the Army, my wife spent those eight in the AF

AF was a lot more family oriented, bases usually had nicer amenities - but there were exceptions

I spent a lot of time stationed on Navy bases, and my older Bro did 10 in the submarine service and an Uncle retired as a Command Master Chief with over thirty in the navy

a friend just got back last year from his second trip doing port security in Iraq - he is a proud coastie

investigate your options before you sign any contracts - and good luck in whatever you chose!

I was thinking of doing some sort of national security type job or something technical I will have a BS in Information Technology in 2 years before I sign up.....

After 28 years in the Army, I can confidently say...COAST GUARD is the one.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

Officers are generally not going to have a technical job. It is mostly administrative. But if you are looking for an IT type field, I would say all 3 would be good choices, with the Airforce in the lead. Not sure about National Security type jobs...

Who is John Galt?

How much do you like the desert? Both the AF and Navy have what are called in-lieu-of (ILO) taskings. This means that you get to go to Iraq and do convoy duty to help out the Army. (Yes, officers get to do this, too.) I haven't seen this opportunity extended to CG guys, yet.

As far as IT, the AF is always looking for folks with technical degrees, especially engineering degrees.

In the AF, you'll be supervising fewer people than in the Army (if that's what you're into). Ops tempo varies largely by what you do. With some jobs, you're never home. It sounds like Duff knows of at least one that has little going on with it.

It's been good to me.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

JCook, just to clarify...your title says army, navy or coast guard, but your original post says airforce, navy, or coast guard...which is it? I think some of the advice you are getting might be skewed.

Who is John Galt?

I am open to any of the Armed Services it was just a typo in my title and content, I ammostly interested in the Air Force and Coast Guard though.

Coasties, from what I've seen, do more stuff. In retrospect, I believe I'd enjoyed that route A LOT!
    Navy is a job you see the world with, but still a job. I'm a submariner and It's been a lot of work but a lot of fun as well.
    The AF........I like golf. The AF bases I've been to had the best course's around and certinally the best quality of life.
    Marines (and Army for that matter).....fighters. They just git r done!

Hit some of the serivices fourms and ask questions, get info, and look 'em up. There's a LOT of paths to take and one might just be for you. Just reasearch and look up stuff in the service your thinking about.

If a question about the Navy comes up, PM me. I'll tell ya what I can and point ya in a direction to get more info on it.
    Last edited by goldshellback; February 26th, 2008 at 12:27 PM. Reason: add-on's
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links