Somalia and al Qaeda; Airstrikes

Somalia and al Qaeda; Airstrikes

This is a discussion on Somalia and al Qaeda; Airstrikes within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; U.S. Airstrike Hits Somali Town; Pentagon Aims for Terrorism Target Associated Press March 3, 2008 3:19 p.m. MOGADISHU, Somalia -- U.S. aircraft attacked a house ...

Thread: Somalia and al Qaeda; Airstrikes

Post Somalia and al Qaeda; Airstrikes

U.S. Airstrike Hits Somali Town;
    Pentagon Aims for Terrorism Target
    Associated Press
    March 3, 2008 3:19 p.m.

MOGADISHU, Somalia -- U.S. aircraft attacked a house in a southern Somali town before dawn Monday, targeting terrorism suspects as an Islamic group with links to al Qaeda appears to be gathering sway again in this lawless African nation.

Residents and police in Dobley said at least eight people, including four children, were seriously injured when the home was destroyed by the raid, which was confirmed by U.S. officials.

The U.S. military has staged several attacks on suspected extremists in Somalia over the past year amid fears the Horn of Africa country could become a haven for terrorists.

"As we have repeatedly said, we will continue to pursue terrorist activities and their operations wherever we may find them," Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said in Washington.

White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe told reporters that "the action was to go after al Qaeda and al Qaeda-affiliated terrorists," suggesting it may have been designed to hit more than one person. Like Whitman, Johndroe declined to provide any details.

One U.S. military official said the target was believed to have been staying in a building known to be used regularly by terrorist suspects. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment on the record.

A radical Islamic movement that ruled much of southern Somalia in 2006 took over Dobley last week, led by senior official Hassan Turki. Mr. Turki, who is rarely seen in public, is on U.S. and U.N. lists of suspected terrorists for alleged ties to al Qaeda. His fate after the strike was not known.

People in Dobley, a town about four miles from the Kenyan border, said the sound of explosions shook them awake before dawn Monday.

"When we came out we found our neighbor's house completely obliterated as if no house existed here," Fatuma Abdullahi told The Associated Press. "We are taking shelter under trees. Three planes were flying over our heads."

The Islamic movement, the Council of Islamic Courts, seized control of much of southern Somalia, including the capital, Mogadishu, in 2006. But in early 2007, troops loyal to the U.N.-backed interim Somali government and the allied Ethiopian army defeated the Islamic group.

The Islamic council now appears to be re-emerging.

On Monday, fighters linked to the group overran Bur Haqaba, a hilltop town about 35 miles from the provincial capital of Baidoa in the south. The group released prisoners from jail and killed a police chief before retreating, witnesses said.

Last month, Islamic fighters briefly took over Dinsor in southern Somalia, killing nine soldiers, police said.

The U.S. has repeatedly accused the Islamic group of harboring international terrorists linked to al Qaeda and allegedly responsible for the 1998 bombings of the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

America has been concerned Somalia could become a breeding ground for terrorist groups, particularly after the Islamic militants briefly gained control of the south and Osama bin Laden declared his support for them.

The U.S. sent a small number of special operations troops to help the Ethiopian force that drove the Islamic movement into hiding, and a Navy warship shelled suspected al Qaeda targets. U.S. warplanes staged at least two airstrikes in January 2007 in an attempt to kill suspected al Qaeda members, Pentagon officials have said.

The U.S. Navy still patrols Somalia's 1,880-mile coast, which is the longest in Africa. Somalia is near key shipping routes connecting the Red Sea with the Indian Ocean and piracy is rampant in the waters offshore.

The U.S. has avoided sustained military action in Somalia since it led a U.N. force that intervened in the early 1990s in an effort to fight famine. That mission led to clashes between U.N. forces and Somali warlords, including a battle in Mogadishu that killed 18 American soldiers.

Somalia has been ravaged by violence and anarchy since warlords overthrew dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991, then turned on each other. The current government was formed with U.N. help in 2004, but it has struggled to assert any real control.

Harbor terrorists and pay the price. NBC just reported two Tomahawks were utilized.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Hunt them down!! Got to love drones with guns!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

88m
    I was there back in 93/94. That whole country is nothing but a hole. 95% of the people there would rather kill you as look at you and that includes the kids. I probably will not make many friends saying this but as fare as I am concerned we would be better off just bombing the whole darn country into dust and ruble.
    Last edited by 88m; March 4th, 2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Remove languange
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by 88m View Post
    I was there back in 93/94. That whole country is nothing but a hole. 95% of the people there would rather kill you as look at you and that includes the kids. I probably will not make many friends saying this but as fare as I am concerned we would be better off just bombing the whole darn county into dust and ruble.
    Last edited by MattInFla; March 4th, 2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Remove quote of language

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

If I remember correctly we owe them some payback there don't we.

+1
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Our troops delivered a lot of the payback that day.

Around 160 US troops fought a prolonged battle against the better part of a whole city. The US losses were hefty - but the casualties they inflicted on their attackers were far worse.

Depending on which estimates you buy, anywhere between 500 and 2,000 Somali fighters were KIA and twice that wounded.

That's somewhere between 25:1 and 100:1.

As one of the Rangers there that day is reported to have said to Bowden, "don't feel sorry for us, you ought to feel sorry for them (the Somalis) because we kicked ass".

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Yep ^^

Not to mention we were the foreign and prior hostile force quartered in their country, not the other way around.
    They didn't ask us to come there. The UN did.

If the UN told India and Canada to take control of lands and areas within the US as due to say rampant crime I'm pretty sure there would be some insurrection and 'insurgency' against as much by the natives including property owners as well as bands of criminals ('warlords') and their supporters who themselves stand to lose power and wealth if they simply roll over and let the foreigners have their say and will.

There are two views to the story.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Yep ^^

They didn't ask us to come their. The UN did.

There are two views to the story.

- Janq
    I'll be sticking to mine.

IMHO we haven't quite paid the somali's back yet, we need more predator drones over the place. as far as al-quaida, anywhere they run we should launch a nuke. eventualy people will stop letting them in their countries or we'll kill off al-quaida. either way works for me
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    IMHO we haven't quite paid the somali's back yet, we need more predator drones over the place. as far as al-quaida, anywhere they run we should launch a nuke. eventualy people will stop letting them in their countries or we'll kill off al-quaida. either way works for me
    I think this is pretty much the same mindset that they have towards the USA and we find fault with that thinking. Wow, what progress we are making.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I think this is pretty much the same mindset that they have towards the USA and we find fault with that thinking. Wow, what progress we are making.
    Let's see who wins

I'm sorry, but remembering seeing a dead American serviceman dragged through the streets by a mob of Somali barbarians on TV causes me to not really give a f__k about Somalia and anyone that lives there. We should have turned the whole nation into a glowing wasteland.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    You're right, mindset never breeds progress. Only action can do that.

Only a blind fool thinks that he can bargain, negotiate or have a rational conversation with people who were raised from infancy to hate the "infidel" with every breath they take. Force is the only thing they understand and respect. Violent, overwhelming force.

Quit sniveling and pick a side. I happen to believe in our nation and our way of life. Anyone or anything that threatens our way of life should be dealt with. Period.

I've got no use for whining moral relativists who stand for nothing while they fall for anything.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Sponsored Links