What do you think the military should use as a standard issue rifle

This is a discussion on What do you think the military should use as a standard issue rifle within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A while back, the military was going to move to a new standard issue rifle, the XM8 WAVE OF THE FUTURE: XM-8 Battle Rifle and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you think the military should use as a standard issue rifle

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

A while back, the military was going to move to a new standard issue rifle, the XM8 WAVE OF THE FUTURE: XM-8 Battle Rifle and switch the cartridge to a newly designed .270. Apparently both fizzled out...for now.

What do you think the military should use as a standard issue rifle and what caliber should it be?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Our military and Israel either the FN Scar heavy or the Masada rifle. The rest of the world that flintlocks.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

M14 or the Garand in 7.62x51. I think they should have stuck with the 308. I enjoy the heck out of shooting my 223 rifles but I'm not shooting at targets that are shooting back............
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

6.8 grendel.

bae
    Phased-plasma rifle in the forty watt range.

Anything in .308 as standard and possibly a 338 Lapua for the SDM
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

There is nothing wrong with the one that the US military uses right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post

+1. You beat me to it.

I agree with Sig210 on that one; However, if we continue to use that caliber, I think we ought to toss the "geneva convention nonsense", and start using advanced bullets like Nosler partitions or better yet, ballistsic tips....

That would solve the problem the round now suffers regarding stopping power. One of these days, I will probably obtain a 6.8spc top end for my "Bidness gun", but until then, I use 55gr ballistic tips in my AR for self defense.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    No, but if they switched to say a 6.8 or whatever, then maybe 5.56/.223 may come down in price some.

depends on the mission. if were going to war against vast numbers at shorter engagement ranges M4A1(full auto one) in 5.56mm, low intensity .308, room to room AA12.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    I agree with Sig210 on that one; However, if we continue to use that caliber, I think we ought to toss the "geneva convention nonsense", and start using advanced bullets like Nosler partitions or better yet, ballistsic tips....

That would solve the problem the round now suffers regarding stopping power. One of these days, I will probably obtain a 6.8spc top end for my "Bidness gun", but until then, I use 55gr ballistic tips in my AR for self defense.
    Isn't it the Hague Convention that limits military small arms ammo to ball?

-JT

AMH
    AK-47 variant.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Any quality piston-driven rifle, chambered in something other than a varmint cartridge.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

VIP Member
    The 7.62N is too heavy, and the rifles that fire them (effectively) too heavy and bulky for universal issue. It's nice that so many people think we should carry it, but how many of those folks would be willing to strap on 600rds of 7.62N on top of their IBA, helmet, food, water, grenades, and hundreds of other things that have to be carried everywhere, all the time? Now hang a grenade launcher under the barrel, and throw 20 grenades on your back as well. Now add optics, IR designator/illuminator, and white light... Now walk up and down the rocky mountains of Afghanistan, across the blistering deserts of Iraq, through the urban sprawl of Mogadishu, down the jungle trails of the Philipines... Now do it for weeks on end... Now tell me how much you love the 7.62N.

Also, the military isn't made up of 100% Rambo/John Wayne hybrids - we've got 95lb females to arm as well.

The AK is peasant-mob junk, in large part, and the 7.62x39 offers very little over the 5.56N at close range, and nothing over it at extended range. Even the best AK variants are heavier, harder to accessorise, and ergonomically hamstrung.

A gas piston AR has promise, but so far I haven't seen the "next generation" improvements that I'd like to see in our large-scale replacement weapon. These, again, add weight, but not to the extent that the 7.62N platforms do. The 6.5G and 6.8SPC also have potential, but at what cost this incremental increase in performance, both in money, weight, recoil, and so on?

The M4 is about as good an all-purpose, general issue rifle as has ever existed. Is fills many, many roles well, if none perfectly. It is a compromise - and a good one - that is issued to hundreds of thousands of people who do hundreds of thousands of jobs. There is nothing significantly better out there right now that would not be unsuitable for many folks and/or missions...

Perhaps the next generation will be something like a gas-piston AR in a slightly more powerful catridge, using modern bullet technology that circumvents (if not downright ignores) the Hague conventions, and that is quickly and easily adaptable to better fill specific roles such as DMR, CQB carbine, battle rifle, etc. Until then, I know what I'm carrying.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links