This Marine Makes Me Proud

This is a discussion on This Marine Makes Me Proud within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A search didn't turn this up. This young man makes me proud to be an Oklahoma neighbor and ashamed that the idiots of the Westboro ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Marine Makes Me Proud

This Marine Makes Me Proud

A search didn't turn this up. This young man makes me proud to be an Oklahoma neighbor and ashamed that the idiots of the Westboro Baptist Church are from Kansas.

NewsOK Mobile

Tue March 18, 2008
    Marine won't draw penalty for flag fight
    By Ann Kelley
    Staff Writer
    MIDWEST CITY A U.S. Marine Corps reservist may have broken the law when he crossed a protest line to defend the U.S. flag, but he will not be punished for it, city officials said.

Midwest City Assistant City Attorney Randal Homburg said he thinks there are grounds to prosecute Ray Adam Modisette, 20, for an act of civil disobedience. At the request of the local police department, Homburg said he's declining to file charges.

Modisette, of Shawnee, was arrested Friday afternoon on a complaint of interfering with official police process. He told The Oklahoman he was reacting to a war protester who was stuffing an American flag down her pants.

"We believe the act was emotional and not really deliberate, Midwest City Police Chief Brandon Clabes said. "It caused us to take action, but we hated to have to do it.

Modisette was leaving Tinker Air Force Base in his car Friday when he saw the protester with the flag. He said he turned around and headed for the crowd to get the flag. He was handcuffed after ignoring several requests by officers to move away from the small group of demonstrators from Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan.

Modisette posted $850 bail money he said he earned during a deployment to Iraq and was released on Friday.

Reservist finds supporters
    With prosecutors declining a case against Modisette, he will be refunded the $850, which he was willing to pay. "I think it would have been money well-spent, Modisette said Monday. "I guess a lot of people on Ol' Glory's side felt the same way.

Several Oklahomans said they were willing to help him pay potential fines.

Mitch Logston of Oklahoma City said he and about nine other friends collected $500 for Modisette. He said many of them have children in the military, some serving in Iraq.

June Parsons, 73, of Stillwater said the incident brought back bad memories of anti-military sentiment during the Vietnam War. Her husband was killed fighting in Vietnam, she said.

"If I was there I would have wanted to do the same thing and probably gotten the snot knocked out of me, Parsons said. "I'm proud of that young man for standing up.

Mike Chase, a reserve deputy with the Oklahoma County sheriff's office, was among about 150 people who showed up Friday to demonstrate against the church group. Chase, who lost his son, Lance Michael Chase, in January 2006 in Iraq, said he could relate to both the emotions expressed by Modisette and the reaction of police.

"They (Westboro members) were exercising their rights that my son and thousands of others gave their lives for, Chase said. "I don't blame (Modisette) it was definitely hard for me to take, too.

If police hadn't stepped in, the situation could have erupted and people could have been hurt, Chase said.

Police interference may have even spared Modisette a potential lawsuit from the Westboro group, if the situation had turned physical, he said.

Chase said that after the publicity generated by Modisette's arrest, he fielded more than a dozen calls from people wanting to contribute money.

Modisette, an aviation mechanic student at Gordon Cooper Technology Center in Shawnee, said support has been overwhelming, but the Marine reservist declined offers of financial assistance.

"The way I was raised was the reason I couldn't drive by and watch that go on, he said. "There's liberty, and then there's ridiculous.

"If I was there I would have wanted to do the same thing and probably gotten the snot knocked out of me. I'm proud of that young man for standing up.

June Parsons, 73, of Stillwater
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

Well done, Marine.

Like my Uncle told me, once a marine, always a marine.

Which was followed by Semper...........oh .............Semper something or other. I think he was speaking Latin. I didn't get it, but anyway......you get my point.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

this is great. proud of him
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Take that protesters. Bravo marine. I wish more people would stand up to these idiots who protest at the funerals of soldiers.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Take that protesters. Bravo marine. I wish more people would stand up to these idiots who protest at the funerals of soldiers.
    I think that is the one form of protest that absolutely disgusts me the most. I feel lucky that I have only had to attend 1 funeral for a fallen friend, there were protesters on the streets and I was literally sick to my stomach. ABSOLUTELY DISGRACEFUL!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

i'd have only one thing to say to that marine. RECON!! and i mean that from the bottom of my heart.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Well Done.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

????????

Why couldn't Fred Phelps butt grow to a toilet seat? We're(Kansans) really decent people, but our whackos go the extra mile.

ooooooohhhhhhh yaaahhhhhhhh!!!

Semper Fi, Marine.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

I'm glad that the police and the prosecutor were right thinking. I don't get that kind of hate.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post

I'm glad that the police and the prosecutor were right thinking. I don't get that kind of hate.
    They should have arrested the protester!!
    These people have no pride!!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I'd like to buy that marine a beer.

-Alex
    -Never insult a man you are not prepared to fight, and never fight a man you are not prepared to kill.

Semper Fi Marine!

Lets hope the Corps doesn't take action against him.
    "The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." Navy Admiral

University of Science Music and Culture

SEMPER FI!

During the time when the courts ruled that desicrating the flag could be termed a legitimate expression that deserved protecting they did say one good thing. They said that this kind of expression was only protected as long as it didn't cause a public disturbance (riot). So whenever we see this kind of activity we should riot. Then the protestors will not be protected and would be liable to the criminal prosecution they deserve. The other participants would also be liable for their actions, but the point would be made. The Freedom Riders don't let the wacko protestors interfere with funerals. They know they will be arrested if they beat the snot out of the protestors. It is a price they are willing to pay. The protestors also know they will get a good beating, and they don't risk it.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links