Wear Blue and support our troops

This is a discussion on Wear Blue and support our troops within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Very soon, you will see a great many people wearing blue every Friday. The reason? Americans who support our troops used to be called the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wear Blue and support our troops

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar

Very soon, you will see a great many people wearing blue every Friday. The reason? Americans who support our troops used to be called the 'silent majority' We are no longer silent, and are voicing our love for God, country and home in record breaking numbers. We are not organized, boisterous or overbearing. Many Americans, like you, me and all our friends, simply want to recognize that the vast majority of America supports our troops. Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity and respect starts this Friday -- and continues each and every Friday until the troops all come home, sending a deafening message that . every red-blooded American who supports our men and women afar, will wear something blue.

By word of mouth, press, TV -- let's make the United States on every Friday a sea of blue much like a homecoming football game in the bleachers. If every one of us who loves this country will share this with h acquaintances, coworkers, friends, and f family, it will not be long before the USA is covered in BLUE and it will let our troops know the once 'silent' majority is on their side more than ever, certainly more than the media lets on.

The first thing a soldier says when asked 'What can we do to make things better for you?' is ....'We need your support and your prayers.'

Let's get the word out and lead with class and dignity, by example, and wear something blue every Friday.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Seriously, who does not support our troops? :huh:
    Why would they not?

Being against and unsupportive of their application, the mission, the administration, and/or the command structure including the Commander in Chief...does not equate to being unsupportive of the troops.
    Supporters of the troops have not at all been silent (?). Why would someone who assumedly has been walking around in life the past 5 yrs. think they have been?

From what I've seen and experienced most everyone to the vast majority supports and respects the troops. Relatively few people have an issue with the troops.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Seriously, who does not support our troops? :huh:
    Why would they not?

-Snip-

From what I've seen and experienced most everyone to the vast majority supports and respects the troops. Relatively few people have an issue with the troops.

- Janq
    Just look back 40 years, and remember another "unpopular" war, and members of the generation that spat on troops, and called them "baby-killers". It has not always been PC to support the troops. Some people have long memories. I know some veterans who have never forgotten, or forgiven, the treatment they received at home, from fellow citizens, after the Tet Offensive.

Remembering that era, I think anything that we can do, now, today, to show support for the troops is a valid quest.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Yeah but that was 40 yrs. ago and most definitely is not how things are right now today.
    Similar type occurrence went on for vets state side during prior wars including Korea, WW2, WW1, and even the Civil War.

Things though again are different right now today than they were decades ago.
    Again most everyone today supports our troops in specific outside of a small contingent of loony bin fringe element types.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

1943 - 2009
    Seriously, who does not support our troops?
    Seriously, I can think of two, right off the top:

The Westboro Baptist Church.

The San Francisco city government.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    And it is true we need your support and prayers as we go off to deploy.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Seriously, I can think of two, right off the top:

The Westboro Baptist Church.

The San Francisco city government.
    I too had thought of those exact same two...

"Again most everyone today supports our troops in specific outside of a small contingent of loony bin fringe element types."

..Still though the vast majority of Americans have not been silent about our support of the troops in specific.
    We support the troops and have been since day one year one, five years ago.
    This will continue to be so.

- Janq

Just out of curiosity, where did the idea come from? Wearing blue is kinda vague. I wear something blue almost everyday. In order to make a point with clothing it should be something that isn't usually worn, or something worn a lot less commonly than the color blue. Today i am wearing blue jeans, yesterday I wore a blue shirt. Almost daily I wear a blue yankee hat. I think that simply wearing the color blue isn't going to be noticed by many people. I also have to agree with Janq. I simply don't see or hear too many deragatory statements against our troops. The Berkely city council passed the anti-recruiting ordinance and it was repealed pretty quickly due to it nationwide unpopularity. The church protesters were outdone pretty rapidly by the patriot riders. Both of these organizations were slammed in almost every press outlet out there today both conservative and liberal. I honestly don't see anti-soldier protests as a problem in this day and time. There are always some whackos who are against something or another. I really don't see much of an organized anti-troop movement going on right now. As far as supporting the war itself, well thats different. People can protest the war, yet support the troops. People can protest the Bush administration, yet still support the troops. I see plenty of yellow ribbon magnets on cars lately. I am in a military town, and I see many gold-stars on vehicles and in windows(which is a bad idea in my opinion), but the majority of people do support the troops and they are quite vocally and visually out there. Nice idea, but if you do this, maybe something other than the extremely common color of blue.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Yeah but that was 40 yrs. ago and most definitely is not how things are right now today.
    Similar type occurrence went on for vets state side during prior wars including Korea, WW2, WW1, and even the Civil War.

Things though again are different right now today than they were decades ago.
    Again most everyone today supports our troops in specific outside of a small contingent of loony bin fringe element types.

- Janq
    I wish things were better , Now then before, But I honestly don't
    think so.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Ummm...

You do realize that currently there is a campiagn that wears red on Firdays to support our troops? You can google it if you want...

My work even provided red shirts to wear on Friday just for it.

I don't think that wearing any particular color is showing support for anyone... It just makes some shirt manufacturer richer...

Lead Moderator
    Let me make a radical suggestion here if you want to support the troops.......

Take the money you were going to spend on your (fill in the color of the day here) shirt and donate it to your Services emergency fund, the USO or your favorite military fund. Mine goes to the EOD Memorial Fund.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Let me make a radical suggestion here if you want to support the troops.......

Take the money you were going to spend on your (fill in the color of the day here) shirt and donate it to your Services emergency fund, the USO or your favorite military fund. Mine goes to the EOD Memorial Fund.
    Ditto...

Wearing colored 'whatever' does nothing but look cute and kinda like jumping on the bandwaggon of not truly understanding...more along the lines of a popularity contest.

Try: FallenAndWoundedSoldiersFund.org - Welcome if you truly want to show support.

Rick

Something else that one can do is to adopt the family of a soldier on deployment.
    Stop by and check in to be sure they are doing alright and not for need of anything or falling behind on basic bills. Be sure the kids are doing okay too and maybe throw a ball around with them in the yard.
    Be a friend, neighbor, active relative while a soldier is away on duty. Some families even have _both_ parents gone leaving their children in the care of family, friends, neighbors and near strangers (!).
    Wearing a colored short of some sort on a given day does nothing for them in an an active way. I personally wear blue often and don't care for the color red.
    But I do send e-mail correspondence to friends and family over there and my wife sends care packages every month of domestic can't get in Iraq or Afghanistan stuff to two family members and a family friend every month.

We Americans are and have been supporting our troops.
    Today is definitely not at all like 40 yrs. ago with Vietnam where folk were protesting returning soldiers and harassing them at airports, bus stops, train depots, and protesting the actions of the soldier in addition to the policy of the administration.

But if wearing a given color shirt on a given day makes one feel good and supportive then well there is nothing wrong with that either.
    We Americans though have been supporting our troops, even as many of us might disagree with the policy, going back to the first deployment into Afghanistan even before the attack on Iraq.

- Janq

This is kind of like the "Don't get gas on a certain day" thing...or the yellow ribbons that say support your troops. As said above, if you want to support our troops, donate to an organization. Or better yet, send a care package to some ship/unit. Packages from home can really brighten up somebody's day. And it reminds us of the people who we are actually fighting for.

Also, make it fun...if it's an individual care package, address it to the chaplain or CMC or the MWR and tell them to give it to a guy whose last name starts with some letter and the last digit of his social is whatever. Or think of some other way to randomly pick somebody. It get's everybody involved.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

who doesn't support our troops?
    a reasonably large percentage of the students at the colleges i'f been on, two thirds of the journalists i've dealt with, and several others. personaly if they don't like the job i do i say they should waive the benifits granted them by my job.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links