Question the LEO's out there...

This is a discussion on Question the LEO's out there... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just curious as to whether serving LEO's are allowed to either privately own post-1986 machine guns/SMG's or if they are allowed to take their duty ...

Thread: Question the LEO's out there...

Question the LEO's out there...

Just curious as to whether serving LEO's are allowed to either privately own post-1986 machine guns/SMG's or if they are allowed to take their duty automatic rifles home?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Yes. We can own pre 86's under the same rules as everyone else. Our employers can issue us new auto's as needed, and its up to the agency if the officer can take it home or not.

To answer your question more direct, there is an MP5 and M4 sitting in the pelican case that I'm propping me feet on right now... as I sit in my home office.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes. We can own pre 86's under the same rules as everyone else. Our employers can issue us new auto's as needed, and its up to the agency if the officer can take it home or not.

To answer your question more direct, there is an MP5 and M4 sitting in the pelican case that I'm propping me feet on right now... as I sit in my home office.
    Thanks for the info. Always wondered about that.

So the next DC Range day is somewhere near your place huh?
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Depends on if the state law allowed Class III ownership. Departments are free to issue whatever they wish to their LE officers.
    Richard Scalzo, Capt.
    Secaucus PD
    Secaucus, NJ
    Retired !!!!

I issued myself one of the department's two Colt 9mm SMG's.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I can't afford a pre '86 select fire weapon but I can take my issued Colt M4 carbine home with me.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I know a buddy of mine with SAPD SWAT has a department issue MP-5 as well as an M4, both were issued to him through the Homeland security provisions directing police departments to beef up their firepower.

Either way, he told me that his Police Chief issued a letter off to some federal agency and got all of the SWAT guys those weapons.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post

+1 I'll bring my own ammo.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    Sorry... I'm really particular about my long guns, nobody gets to put their grubby hands on them but me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Sorry... I'm really particular about my long guns, nobody gets to put their grubby hands on them but me.
    party pooper!!

Administrator
    plus I think it would be frowned upon if I was allowing department issued weapons to become a tourist attraction, but hey, its just my career and pension, lets have a range day!
    "Just blame Sixto"

plus I think it would be frowned upon if I was allowing department issued weapons to become a tourist attraction, but hey, its just my career and pension, lets have a range day!

Way to be a team player!!! I'll start working on the details everyone hold their schedules open.

While your at it, everyone hold your breath too!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Links