LA Swat

This is a discussion on LA Swat within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I ask this in all seriousness, is this PC thing really becoming that much a problem in law enforcement? It's not like it's a minor ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LA Swat

BAC
    I ask this in all seriousness, is this PC thing really becoming that much a problem in law enforcement? It's not like it's a minor problem, either...

-B

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I ask this in all seriousness, is this PC thing really becoming that much a problem in law enforcement? It's not like it's a minor problem, either...

-B
    Yes, depending on where you are. The PC thing in L.E. has done far more damage and cause far more problems than it has solved.
    "Just blame Sixto"

BAC
    I see. I'll have to look into that in my area, then. That might determine the city cop or rural deputy (or even fish and wildlife LEO) career debate. I might actually agree with Glenn Beck on his comments that the number one enemy of the U.S. is political-correctness, if it's becoming so problematic that even law enforcement can't do it's job.

Then again, I suppose I could've noted that by looking at Border Patrol...

-B

Administrator
    I wouldnt let that chase you away from a job in L.E., its will change from city to city and dept. to dept. I always tell people looking to get into LE to interview the dept. as much as they interview you. If the agency is not a good fit for you, you are doing both of you no good to accept a job with that agency.
    "Just blame Sixto"

BAC
    Well, not chase me away necessarily, but I would imagine the cops in their various capacities who deal less with higher-ups and are more likely to be away from "immediate support" or off on their own are the ones more likely to be able to avoid PCness. I think I've got it in my head I already want to do it, I just haven't figured out in what capacity, that's all. Good call on two-way interviews, though.

Anyway, that's at least a year down the road (finishing school first), but I wonder how many folks actually have been chased away from a potential job in law enforcement because of the PCness issue.

-B

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    :

Anyway, that's at least a year down the road (finishing school first), but I wonder how many folks actually have been chased away from a potential job in law enforcement because of the PCness issue.

-B
    A lot. And that too has been good and bad. The worst part is, the flood gates of hiring have been opened for the less desirable because of PC too. People are now hired (in some places) based more so on race or gender than they are on ability... but isnt that what the PC crowd wanted to get away from in the first place?
    "Just blame Sixto"

It certainly make up my mind what to do when my 20 year mark came along. Retirement. Years ago, I loved my work. Recently, it was miserable. I would have loved doing my job the way we used to for another ten years, but for me, policing and politics don't mix. Phoenix is losing officers that would have loved to stay on. They can't get enough recruits. Advertising in LA! Just read in the paper this week that the starting salary for Phoenix PD is $48,000 and they can't get guys who qualify.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I wonder what other groups are under-represented in SWAT. I thought of a few:

None of this is meant to make fun of any of the listed groups. So, don't flame me over it!

1. The mentally handicapped. I bet there is not a single mentally handicapped SWAT officer and that needs to change. Fortunately, the mentally handicapped seem to be well-represented in the committee that is making SWAT recommendations.

2. The obese - These fine people make up a decent percentage of our population and keeping them out of SWAT is nothing less than weightism. They would possess many tactical advantages over their skinny colleagues.

3. The physically handicapped - Tactical wheelchairs could be outfitted with battering rams and run-flat tires, making them indispensable.

4. Children - Their small size could make them uniquely able to perform recon and to fit into places much larger officers never could.

5. San Fransisco residents - "Thtop! Get down on the ground and thpread your legs!"

6. Criminals - Surely they must be under-represented on the police force in general, although not in politics. Imagine the common ground they'd be able to find with suspects.

I'm sure there are more groups that have been grotesquely discriminated against, but these were just a few I thought of.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post
    I wonder what other groups are under-represented in SWAT. I thought of a few:

None of this is meant to make fun of any of the listed groups. So, don't flame me over it!

1. The mentally handicapped. I bet there is not a single mentally handicapped SWAT officer and that needs to change. Fortunately, the mentally handicapped seem to be well-represented in the committee that is making SWAT recommendations.

2. The obese - These fine people make up a decent percentage of our population and keeping them out of SWAT is nothing less than weightism. They would possess many tactical advantages over their skinny colleagues.

3. The physically handicapped - Tactical wheelchairs could be outfitted with battering rams and run-flat tires, making them indispensable.

4. Children - Their small size could make them uniquely able to perform recon and to fit into places much larger officers never could.

5. San Fransisco residents - "Thtop! Get down on the ground and thpread your legs!"

6. Criminals - Surely they must be under-represented on the police force in general, although not in politics. Imagine the common ground they'd be able to find with suspects.

I'm sure there are more groups that have been grotesquely discriminated against, but these were just a few I thought of.

Mel
    Haha. Good one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links