Border Patrol Recruiting

This is a discussion on Border Patrol Recruiting within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was told that fox news had done a story this evening about the U.S. Border Patrol, detailing the BP's efforts to bring in new ...

Thread: Border Patrol Recruiting

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar

Border Patrol Recruiting

I was told that fox news had done a story this evening about the U.S. Border Patrol, detailing the BP's efforts to bring in new recruits. Apparently it was stated that they are changing (read..lowering) the standards of admission. Anyone else catch the piece, got a link or transcript, or even hearsay?
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Intentional Flincher View Post
    I was told that fox news had done a story this evening about the U.S. Border Patrol, detailing the BP's efforts to bring in new recruits. Apparently it was stated that they are changing (read..lowering) the standards of admission. Anyone else catch the piece, got a link or transcript, or even hearsay?
    FOXNews.com - U.S. Border Patrol Cracking Under Pressure to Find New Recruits - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Not surprising. Compensation Sucks, and if you do your job well, they'll throw you in prison: Border Patrol agents<br> sentenced to prison

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar
    Thanks!
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

I had a friend that retired from the Air Force (Fire Department) in 1994 and joined the Border Patrol. In a matter of 6 months he was shot in the butt and also killed 2 drug smugglers in a running gun fight. He decided to retire again then. At least they didn't put him in jail for trying to protect us.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

That makes me feel better. The well trained and educated ones can't stop the illegals, so we will use less qualified people to do this very important job.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

The southern border guys get stuck in the worst possible environments. The border towns are hellholes.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Scary, maybe I won't study so hard for my border patrol test in April....
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

A thankless job.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    True, it's a tough job in some crappy places, but it is a good "foot in the door" if you are interested in other federal LEO jobs. You can get the required experience, and you're already in the federal system. I know a number of current USSS, DSS, and DEA agents who came through the Border Patrol.

You will still need a college degree (nevermind a HS diploma or GED!) and a security clearance for these other jobs, of course... And on that front, the FBI doesn't use all FBI agents for background checks! Almost all federal agencies have farmed that out to contractors - the majority of whom are retired LEOs - in order to free up their active agents for more pressing duties.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Border Patrol "recruiters" are a relatively new thing. We didn't used to have them. Didn't need them.

Back when Jimmy Carter was President, Central Office began bowing to political pressure exercised upon them by politicians. This, in turn, began an ever-increasing flow of "administrative rules" which constrained Agents from using the full extent of their statutory authority. The administrative rules have continued to multiply even in the present day. All of them are very disheartening to field Agents and engender a profound morale problem. Often, the Agent will see "greener grass" (excuse the comparison) in another agency and decide to leave the Patrol.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Links