FBI Firearms Instructor School

This is a discussion on FBI Firearms Instructor School within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Dept wants to send me to the FBI Firearms Instructor School. But first I have to attend a shoot off to qualify for the ...

Thread: FBI Firearms Instructor School

FBI Firearms Instructor School

My Dept wants to send me to the FBI Firearms Instructor School. But first I have to attend a shoot off to qualify for the school. Has anyone attended this school that can tell me which target they use for the bullseye course?

I have seen several different size bullseye targets. I have been practicing on the 25 yard pistol slowfire target #45723. The 10 ring is orange and 1.75" in diameter. The 7, 8, and 9 ring are black and about 5.5" in diameter. The 5 and 6 ring are white and the whole target is about 9.75" in diameter.

I have been consistantly getting at least 27 - 30 shots in the black from 25 and 15 yards. I only average about 4 - 7 shots in the 10 ring.

My widest spread is about 6.5" with most of my shots within about 4". This is two hand shooting from the standing position.

I'm hoping the target they use is a little bigger than the one I am practicing on. If anyone knows which target they use I would greatly appreciate it. From what I hear the shoot off is rather competitive with only about 24 guys making it out of at least 75.

Thanks in advance.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    B24 is what they scored on when I went, but there was a lot of reactive type stuff.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks, Sixto. I will take a trip to the local gun shop later today and see if they have any B24 targets available. In the event that they do not, would you happen to know the diameter of the 10 ring? I looked up the B24 on line and it appears that it may be larger than the target I have been practicing on.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    I dont know off hand what the center ring is... maybe 3-4"?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont know off hand what the center ring is... maybe 3-4"?
    Thank you. That would be better than the 1.75" on the one I am using. BTW, the gun shop did not have any B24s. The shoot off is coming up soon anyway, so it really wouldn't matter at this point. I was just looking to make myself feel more comfortable.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    The B27 has the same size rings, its just the outline that is different and a lot easier to find.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The B27 has the same size rings, its just the outline that is different and a lot easier to find.

Cool, thanks. I'll see if I can grab some.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Hey Sixto. Thanks for the info on the targets. I went to the range today and they had some B27's. My average of 250-260/300 went to 286-299/300. I feel much more confident now.

Thanks again.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I have been thru those training classes myself. By the time you complete the class you will have all the confidence in the world. I had a instructor from the FBI that came and did a 2 week course at our sheriff's dept. We talked him into shooting with us the day we had to qualify with a 95 % or better. If you are old enougth to remember the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit (cartoon movie) there was a girl in it that was built rather well. We replaced his target with a poster of this girl, when the target turned he probably didn't shoot for 15 seconds. If was funny. Look on You Tube; who might find a clip of the movie.
    Last edited by Reborn; March 31st, 2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Hey Sixto. Thanks for the info on the targets. I went to the range today and they had some B27's. My average of 250-260/300 went to 286-299/300. I feel much more confident now.

Thanks again.
    You're welcome. Be sure and let me know how it all turns out. I hope you go, its a blast.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thank God I was not one of the guys sent home. The guys on my job would have broken my b@%%s until I retired. I made it and start the class next month.

The target was actually pretty small. It was maybe 1/2" larger than the one I practiced on. But it was significantly smaller than the B27.

Sixto, maybe the B27 is the target that they use in the actual school, not the bullseye shoot off. In any event I passed. I was a little nervous when I saw all the guys from NYPD and other jobs all buffed out with their drop leg holsters and tactical gear. I thought I would be sent packin'.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I was a little nervous when I saw all the guys from NYPD and other jobs all buffed out with their drop leg holsters and tactical gear. I thought I would be sent packin'.
    Maybe you made it because you spent a little more time at the range instead of wasting your time looking in the mirror at the gun store.

Congrats, us civies hope we get a report from you upon your return.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Administrator
    Thank God I was not one of the guys sent home. The guys on my job would have broken my b@%%s until I retired. I made it and start the class next month.

The target was actually pretty small. It was maybe 1/2" larger than the one I practiced on. But it was significantly smaller than the B27.

Sixto, maybe the B27 is the target that they use in the actual school, not the bullseye shoot off. In any event I passed. I was a little nervous when I saw all the guys from NYPD and other jobs all buffed out with their drop leg holsters and tactical gear. I thought I would be sent packin'.

You prepped well without freaking out... Congrats. You will have fun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thank you, Gentlemen. I will let you know how it goes.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    I just got word from someone who went through more recently than I is that they use the TQ19 now... its pretty much the same as the B27, but the "bullseyes" are in better spots.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links