DEA agents are losing their guns!(merged) - Page 2

DEA agents are losing their guns!(merged)

This is a discussion on DEA agents are losing their guns!(merged) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's a firearm you don't need to be trained not to lose one. I lose my mind when I put my keys or id in ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    It's a firearm you don't need to be trained not to lose one. I lose my mind when I put my keys or id in a different spot & I don't instantly see them. It's just natural. Those of us who have CCW's damn near need a GPS chip in are arse's. We don't get the privilege of reporting these things years later.

I am a thinkin' that we have some DEA or other federal agents on this board.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by M&P_erfection View Post
    Has anyone seen my pistol i put it right here in this trash can just 10 minutes ago

FastCloud/Taxpayer: "Hey...that's my money you're throwing away!" Maybe it's just me, but I seem to have no problem keeping up with where my weapon is. I've never lost one to a body shop, left one on the roof of my car, a bathroom floor, or anywhere. Perhaps some of those millions should be spent on COM car safes if officers can't be bothered with actually carrying their weapons.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    Its all about communication and spelling is an important element therein.
    Thereof.
    Last edited by David in FL; March 29th, 2008 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Great idea, DOG. When I start my criminal career, I'll just make sure to do it near a State line...

I'd be willing to bet that the rate of loss/theft is higher among the general population than it is among feds, and feds have their weapons "out and about" FAR more often than do average folks.

While we're at it...I know several soldiers who have lost weapons - we'd better disarm the military while we're at it! They're only tax-sucking slackers, living off the largesse of the over burdened working man, away with those welching loafers immediately!
    The Brady Bunch would call this the 'DEA Wastebasket Loophole'...let's close it immediately...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Gee creates a whole new meaning to "special agent" I can't see how losing a gun through carelessness is going to help your career. Thanks for the stats nutz

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    The part I don't understand about all this is why they would bother to disarm and leave their weapons unattended in the first place. I can understand, at least a little, about the theft from hotel room, etc. Given the fact that they are federal LEO, aren't they covered by the LEOSA, and not subject to local/state ordinances regarding restaurant/school property/etc. bans? If you don't have to disarm, DON'T DISARM... simple as that.

Great idea, DOG. When I start my criminal career, I'll just make sure to do it near a State line...

I'd be willing to bet that the rate of loss/theft is higher among the general population than it is among feds, and feds have their weapons "out and about" FAR more often than do average folks.

While we're at it...I know several soldiers who have lost weapons - we'd better disarm the military while we're at it! They're only tax-sucking slackers, living off the largesse of the over burdened working man, away with those welching loafers immediately!
    How many times a year does a FED actaully chase someone across a State Line ?

Average Folks pay for their own guns. FED's guns are paid for by the average folks (tax payers).

All military weapons, I personally know about from the past, lost by the military were overseas, although I am sure some are lost CONUS.

I will make two and only two exceptions for FED's (civilian FED's - this not non-civilian FED military) - Presidental / VIP Secret Service Details and the U.S. Border Patrol, these can carry guns but no other civilian FED's. P.S. If you are not military then you are civilian if you carry a badge.

Just found an interesting stat from here: Section I: Gun Violence in the United States (This is a DOJ website)

"In 1994, more than a quarter-million households experienced the theft of one or more firearms; nearly 600,000 guns were stolen during these burglaries."

At that time, there were 44 million gun owners. 600k/44million = 1.4%, a rate some 5 times higher than DEA agents in recent history. And these are folks who, by and large, just leave their guns at home and don't have to keep track of them all day, every day.

But, by all means, let's throw stones from our glass houses, blame "the gub'mint," and otherwise vent on people who are five times as responsible with their weapons than are "normal" gun owners...

DEA lost guns as in "trash cans", "hotel rooms", "my kid took it", etc is not the same as the stat's you refer to above, you are mixing apples and pears.

The folks you refer to buy their own guns. FED's have their guns issued to them which are paid for by the folks (tax payers).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Interesting comment bandit383. I would hope that we aren't regularly going around losing our guns. Of course I don't work for an inept goverment that just keeps throwing money to broken agencies with no hope of ever fixing them because they will not ever get rid of the problems that created it from top to bottom. Most of us have real jobs where people get fired for being stupid.

Fully concur. Great Post.

VIP Member
    I'll keep the bulk of my comments to myself, DOG, simply because most of your ideas aren't worth a reply.

Suffice it to say that the military has lost PLENTY of weapons in CONUS, that Joe Citizen is 5 times as likely to lose his weapon as Mr. DEA, and that if you think a handful of $500 weapons are woth giving up on all federal law enforcement, you may want to seek a professional opinion on your mental health.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

My .02. First of all let me say I'm not for disarming the FBI, DEA or any other federal agency for losing my money...even if it is in a trash can. I want these guys armed and armed well. I would like a little accountability though...these morons need to lose their jobs. Secondly the stat about Joe Citizen being 5x as likely as Mr. DEA to lose their weapon, isn't one I'd exactly be bragging about. There are probably 5 hundredx as many gun owning Joe Citizens as there are Mr. DEAs.

NRA member

I'll keep the bulk of my comments to myself, DOG, simply because most of your ideas aren't worth a reply.

Suffice it to say that the military has lost PLENTY of weapons in CONUS, that Joe Citizen is 5 times as likely to lose his weapon as Mr. DEA, and that if you think a handful of $500 weapons are woth giving up on all federal law enforcement, you may want to seek a professional opinion on your mental health.

Did not say military had not lost weapons CONUS, re-read my post.

Again, big difference between FED losing a weapon and Citizen having a weapon stolen, apples and pears comparsion.

FED's can still do their investigations on crime, but no need to be armed for that job, they can learn to work side-by-side with local (State, County, and City) - "Peace Officers". Still a lot of friction between FED Civilian Peace Officers and Local Civilian Peace Officers.

Again, Secret Service for Presidental / VIP and U.S. Border Patrol, yes they definitely need to be armed.

VIP Member
    Secondly the stat about Joe Citizen being 5x as likely as Mr. DEA to lose their weapon, isn't one I'd exactly be bragging about. There are probably 5 hundredx as many gun owning Joe Citizens as there are Mr. DEAs.
    What I posted was rates of loss, and had no bearing on the total numbers. If you want to look at total numbers, Joe Citizen loses 600,000 guns every year, to the DEAs 15. The RATE OF LOSS is five times worse for the average gun owner (that is, for every gun lost per DEA agent, 5 are lost per Joe citizen.

So, it is something to brag about - a guy who has his weapon out and about far more often than the average gun owner, is still 5 times less likely to lose it.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Well I guess I need my mental health evaluated then because I think the goverment is way out of control and a large portion of it needs disarmed. It is inconcievable to me that we have an armed branch of the federal goverment to collect taxes. Our founders had no fear greater than that of the goverment and if they were here today you probably would need to have their mental state evaluated also. Of course just one of them had more brains than the entire federal goverments "brainpower" combined today.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

What I posted was rates of loss, and had no bearing on the total numbers. If you want to look at total numbers, Joe Citizen loses 600,000 guns every year, to the DEAs 15. The RATE OF LOSS is five times worse for the average gun owner (that is, for every gun lost [i]per DEA agent, 5 are lost per Joe citizen.

So, it is something to brag about - a guy who has his weapon out and about far more often than the average gun owner, is still 5 times less likely to lose it.
    Ah...I see...and stand corrected. (but I still want those ass clowns fired)

NRA member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    Did not say military had not lost weapons CONUS, re-read my post.
    Oh, I read it fine... It said you only knew about OCONUS losses, but assumed that there were CONUS ones, too. I was confirming that assumption.
    Again, big difference between FED losing a weapon and Citizen having a weapon stolen, apples and pears comparsion.
    Are you saying that citizens don't lose weapons? That state and local cops don't lose weapons? I wonder what the rate is for state and local cops...what will you say if it turns out to be higher than that of feds? And many, if not most, of the fed weapons being discussed were STOLEN, not "lost." The article highlights the preposterous ones, not the run of the mill ones. Your logic and decuctive reasoning are massively overwhelmed by some deep rooted bias against feds - I suggest you find a fed-bashing forum to vent on...
    FED's can still do their investigations on crime, but no need to be armed for that job, they can learn to work side-by-side with local (State, County, and City) - "Peace Officers". Still a lot of friction between FED Civilian Peace Officers and Local Civilian Peace Officers.
    Yeeeaaahhhhh..... OK. So, volunteer firefighters can still fight fires, but they can't use hoses or protective gear - only the professional ones can use that stuff. It'll help ease the "friction." Feds have had cars stolen, too - can they still wear seat belts when they ride around with these Peace Officers? Are you for real, or are you just having a go?
    Again, Secret Service for Presidental / VIP and U.S. Border Patrol, yes they definitely need to be armed.
    Yes, you definitely need to seek counseling for this delusional and irrational hatred of feds - cops who put their lives on the line every day to protect you and yours from terrorists, criminals, and various assorted other scumbags...

Seriously, do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links