American Hiroshima?

This is a discussion on American Hiroshima? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by rstickle Given the "right" weather conditions the fallout patterns overlaid in heavily populated areas are flat out scary. And the fact that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Hiroshima?

Cool Heads UP!

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    Given the "right" weather conditions the fallout patterns overlaid in heavily populated areas are flat out scary.
    And the fact that the summer is ending and fall is here is a GIFT from God. This brings on those unfavorable climatic conditions. I sweat (figuratively and literally) every spring and summer, knowing this is the prime time for a chemical or dirty bomb attack. Gentle conbstant breezes from a uniform direction are the hallmarks of these seasons. Warm air aids in persistancy and lethality. OTOH, anytime is favorable for a real nuke and unfortunately, FLU season which is just starting is best for a bio-attack.

If they're going for a dirty bomb using conventional H.E and have the resources to get the really bad radioactive material, then it's not such a stretch to go for the BIG Boy. Face it, OBL craves a mushroom cloud. Several in fact. It's all about the photo op or sound bite in the Arab world. Any kind of conventional explosive can be "spun" by TPTB. Any story can be concocted to cover the truth. But nothing can spin the reality of atomic fission. AQ knows this.

You watch, the suicide bomber that blew himself (by accident--too soon) up at the Sooners football game last night is just the START. Same with the Bali bombings the other day. IMHO there is a major terrorist operation underway as we speak (write?) It's the long promised Ramadan Offensive. Keep yer powder dry and yer eyes along the skyline.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Talking Can't make an INFIDEL omlet without killing some of yer own....

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    You Guys can come hang out with me we should be Safe Cant kill the money since we have the Highest Amount of Arab's in the Usa just down the road
    Actually, Bud, the terrorists have already apologized to the American Mooselimb community for the necessity of KILLING a lot of them but to kill a lot of infidels (us) you gotta break some of your own eggs. The theory goes if they're good muslims anyway, it's a shortcut to Allah and paradise. So it's a win win situation for them.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    The thought of something like this bothers me enough that I really wish I could afford to buy a nice rifle and learn how to shoot it. Even though I can't do so at this exact moment, I'm definately going to be picking up a longgun next.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Assistant Administrator
    Jim - to save a serious budget bash - consider in the short term a milsurp - say from SOG. A Mosin 91/30 is still cheap as are IIRC old Enfields and some Mausers. Quite a lot of stuff available at very good prices - heck my M38 was only $59 from a gun show and it had been re-arsenalled too!

Then ammo - well - again, even if corrosive, plenty of adequate stuff around at good prices.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Ok, first off, stop using the ignorant media's terms. A dirty bomb is a fission device specifically designed and detonated in a particular fashion to maximize fallout. A radiologic bomb is radioisotopes (radioactive versions of normal elements) packed around a conventional explosive and detonated in a manner to maximize dispersal of said radioisotopes.

Second, EMP's strong enough to damage electronics outside the blast radius only result from nuclear detonations high enough in the atmosphere to disrupt the ionosphere (the layer of the atmosphere that long range radio waves bounce off of), which would do no damage to any non-electronic objects on the ground. Jet aircraft don't fly high enough to get to the ionosphere, you need a high altitude rocket or missile to deliver the bomb.

I'm not worried about gamma radiation from the blast - you'll die from thermal and shockwaves first. From fallout the issue is really beta radiation - it penetrates and does damage. Alpha radiation can be stopped by paper and gamma penetrates but does much less damage.

Third, if Osama (assuming he is still alive) or Al Queda had a nuclear bomb, they would have used it by now. They aren't easy to make. The nuclear material that is (relatively) easy to produce is hard to make into a workable device. The devices that are easy to make use nuclear materials that are very hard to produce. They have enough money to buy a black market bomb, assuming there is one for sale. If they get one, I would guess that either New York City is the target or someplace that Americans would feel safer, like the Midwest.

Last but not least, remember that if a radiologic bomb goes off, the most radioactive isotopes decay off quickly and those that stay around a long time aren't as radioactive (the nuclear equivalent of "There's no such thing as a free lunch").

Just some facts from someone who knows way too much about this subject.

Assistant Administrator
    the most radioactive isotopes decay off quickly and those that stay around a long time aren't as radioactive
    Thx for the info auto fan - but thinking of half life issues - I sure as heck would not feel too easy with plutonium spread around - IIRC half life of 25,000 years and even a small amount inhaled is bad news.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

That article should serve as a wake up call, we as a society can't even deal with a little wind and rain, let alone a thermonuclear assault.

My dilusional thoughts on the situation. If they did go through with this, as horrible as it would be to lose that many lives. I think it would be the end of all the preverbial ******** with the middle east. Reason being, it would no longer exist.

A friend of mine said "blah, you guys are paranoid" I ask you this, is it considered paranoia if you know for a fact they are out to kill you?

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Thx for the info auto fan - but thinking of half life issues - I sure as heck would not feel too easy with plutonium spread around - IIRC half life of 25,000 years and even a small amount inhaled is bad news.
    Yeah, plutonium is definitely the worst thing to have dispersed. It is radioactive enough to be dangerous and has a long half life (the amount of time it takes for half of the material to radioactively decay). If inhaled, miniscule amounts will cause lung cancer at the very least. The good news is that it would be hard to transport without killing the terrorists and/or alerting people that something was up (it gives off a lot of heat and has a very distinctive radioactive decay signature that NEST teams can detect from aircraft).

Quote Originally Posted by BigPurp
    A friend of mine said "blah, you guys are paranoid" I ask you this, is it considered paranoia if you know for a fact they are out to kill you?
    Its Not paranoia when they are out to get ya

Whatever AQ might use, wherever they use it, or whatever the technical after effects, the most devastating effect will be the resultant panic and societal disarray that follows. Katrina aftermath, IMHO, could be considered a mini-model for what happens next. A peek at the behavioral responses of a society that, under stress, does not play well with others. In this imagined, and highly probable scenario, I am less concerned about the physics/chemistry of it than I am about the psychological/psychotic responses of my fellow citizens. Of course, we have to throw a good spoonful of Government response into the mix too. From what I've seen so far, it ain't gonna be good.

Everybody thinks you're "PARANOID" until something happens. Then all of a sudden....You're PREPARED....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links