Is anybody doing anything in preparation for a possible attack in October?

This is a discussion on Is anybody doing anything in preparation for a possible attack in October? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; An October attack has already happened. Check for news around the Norman, OK, area from this past weekend....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is anybody doing anything in preparation for a possible attack in October?

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    An October attack has already happened. Check for news around the Norman, OK, area from this past weekend.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

2. Remove Ads

we do a variety of things already

Have radiation detection gear (two sets), have nbc gear with multiple filters, have a generator and 50 + gallons of stabilized gas, nearly 50 gallons of kerosene, a very large stock of medical supplies, a large larder including bulk supplies of salt, flour, sugar, vacuum sealed spices and non-hybrid seeds. Have commo via both FRS and CB (not ideal I know but working on it).

Have a decent stock of weapons and ammunition. Have definitive plans in place for a few of my like minded individuals to join us here bringing their full ticket with them plus he is a HAM so that adds to our situation. We have both a vacuum sealer and a dehydrator.

We bulk shop at Costco as often as possible, then break it down and when we can, vacuum seal it which greatly extends the life of the items. I keep a stock of spare parts for the vehicles plus fluids (oil, trany, power steering, etc) have a trailer for the truck as well just in case we have to bail. I also keep extra supplies of odds and ends such as shoe laces, lighter flints and fluid, strike anywhere matches, travel size of soaps and shampoo's etc all ziplock bagged up and not with my regular supplies.

We have BOB (bug out bags) in both vehicles which have food, water, rope, medical supplies, cash etc in them so we can get home or get away depending on the situation.

Wife and I are VERY concerned with the current state of affairs and are pushing ourselves to add to our preps.

Tangle,

I have seen those MRE's before, and if they are the same, you'll need to buy the heaters separately. They are pretty cheap - $5 for 12 or something along those lines.

I was browsing through one of the many catalogs I get in the mail and saw some interesting options. Food bars that provide all essential vitamines, proteins, minerals, etc. 1 bar = 400 calories and are 99% digestable (Would cut down on toilet paper as well - haha). Could live on two bars a day. I think 120 bars came out to be around $80. Definately looking at dire straits alternatives here - I'm sure it wouldn't keep you full but it would keep you alive and would probably be easier to transport than an MRE and easier to prepare as well. I also saw food tablets but they didn't provide any nutrition information.

A buddy of mine is an avid hiker (far more than I). He uses a water filtration pump and has used to it to drink some of the filthiest nastiest water I've seen. He says it doesn't taste good - but he's done it on many occasions and has never suffered any ill effects. I fully plan on buying one soon.

I am still of the opinion that beans are the perfect food. They keep forever and provide all of the protein and calories you can ask for. They are also cheaper than dirt (especially if you grow and dry your own). The only problem is preparation time - if you're on the move.

Senior Moderator
    What's "stablized" gasoline?

Beans are a good food, but they do take a long time to cook and hence use up heating/cooking resources.

So what kind of time frame do you guys figure you could go without electicity and normal water source?

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    The MRE's that I talk about in post #7and12 HAVE the heaters inside the individual packet. They work like a SOB. My advice to users of these would be ---1. Only put as much water in the packet as indicated. 2. After adding water,put it in the little box very quickly. It will start burning your hands in about 5 seconds.------------

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    The MRE's that I talk about in post #7and12 HAVE the heaters inside the individual packet. They work like a SOB. My advice to users of these would be ---1. Only put as much water in the packet as indicated. 2. After adding water,put it in the little box very quickly. It will start burning your hands in about 5 seconds.------------
    LOL! I know what you mean about the correct amount of water and burning!

And if it's a chilly day, etc., after the heater has heated the food, you can use it to warm hands, feet, etc.

Just a lighter side note re; MRE's. A very good friend of mine, a vet of Gulf War I said the Marines referred to them as, "Meals Refuse to Exit."

Administrator
    Meals Regurgitated To Excess

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    What truck?
    Loaded them in anything from my dakota to an F250 4x4. They are pretty easy to lift about waist height, find anything with a tail gate lower than that and your good to go.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPurp
    Loaded them in anything from my dakota to an F250 4x4. They are pretty easy to lift about waist height, find anything with a tail gate lower than that and your good to go.
    The tailgate, etc. isn't my problem, the problem is, I don't have a truck.

Tangle, I thought owning a truck was a pre-requisite to living in Tennessee? Are you sure you're legal?

Tangle, you asked about the gas

by stabilized gas I am referring to regular gasoline with a stabilizier in it which greatly increases the shelf life. You can get it at Wal Mart or many auto parts stores carry it, it is called Sta-Bil. One ounce for every two gallons and it works on diesel too! Hope that helps.
    The measure of a man is his desire to do what is good and right and the sacrifices he will endure to see that desire through

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    Tangle, I thought owning a truck was a pre-requisite to living in Tennessee? Are you sure you're legal?
    Don't have a truck so I have to go barefoot to compenstate

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by striker
    by stabilized gas I am referring to regular gasoline with a stabilizier in it which greatly increases the shelf life. You can get it at Wal Mart or many auto parts stores carry it, it is called Sta-Bil. One ounce for every two gallons and it works on diesel too! Hope that helps.
    Gotcha! Thanks - great tip!

VIP Member
    Be careful eating quantities of MREs for very long. They are very high in carbohydrates and will constipate you. This is by design.

As for how long could I go without electricity. As long as it is off. Loss of conveniences is all. I can go out back and get food, so loss of the fridge is no big deal. Have I mentioned I love living in the country?

-Scott-

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links