Is anybody doing anything in preparation for a possible attack in October? - Page 3

Is anybody doing anything in preparation for a possible attack in October?

This is a discussion on Is anybody doing anything in preparation for a possible attack in October? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Tangle The tailgate, etc. isn't my problem, the problem is, I don't have a truck. Ahh yeah not having a truck does ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is anybody doing anything in preparation for a possible attack in October?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    The tailgate, etc. isn't my problem, the problem is, I don't have a truck.
    Ahh yeah not having a truck does make moving 55gal drums rather interesting. They aren't exactly back seat friendly.

I just had a hilarious vision of a camry with a big blue VP 55gal drum strapped to the trunk

Senior Moderator
    yeah, but just think of the range you'd have!

I am an avid hunter so I often though that if worse came to worse I could just go out back and get food pretty much whenever I need it (especially if I'm not following game laws - as in an emergency situation.) However, if this situation did occur, my thoughts are is everyone around me is going to be doing the same. While I live in the country and we have a lot of wildlife, I don't believe it would be long before it became unsupportable.

We have a lot of game meat in the freezer and if we were looking at an extended power outage, my first move would be to smoke/dry as much of the meat as possible. This would provide a transportable and easy source of protein. Writing this, I think I will try smoking some meat to see how long it would last in a non-refrigerated environment before going bad.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    ...Writing this, I think I will try smoking some meat to see how long it would last in a non-refrigerated environment before going bad.
    I'd be very interested in knowing that too!

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    According to Alton Brown (host of an excellent show called Good Eats on the Food Network if you've never seen it) properly prepared and stored jerky should last almost forever.

He puts the seasoned strips of meat into the grooves of household air filters, straps several to the front of a fan, and let's her rip for several hours.

He's also done a show on smoking.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Basic preps: "a bit" of stored gas; Coleman dual fuel single burner stove and lantern, white gas dual burner stove as well; Ramen noodles(the ultimate survival food )- by the case!!- not much variety, but with a few 1$ cans of chicken, tuna, and ham from Dollar General, the carbs and protein are covered for a looooong time. Canned goods- a fair variety. There are so many catastrophies, and so little $$.....

(Yes, I've heard the argument before- buy cheap firearms, and LOTS of "XYZ". Yah, well. My experience has been that the less disciplined among us-the majority-require forceful dissuasion in relatively benign circumstances. Deny them their beer, pot, chips, and WWF for 5 days, and they'll be rabid.... I'll stick with high-quality and moderate quantity.)

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    According to Alton Brown (host of an excellent show called Good Eats on the Food Network if you've never seen it) properly prepared and stored jerky should last almost forever.

He puts the seasoned strips of meat into the grooves of household air filters, straps several to the front of a fan, and let's her rip for several hours.

He's also done a show on smoking.
    Good to know. I would think smoking would have some benefit as smoke is a great perservative - might help keep bugs out too. Also easy to do without electricity.

We do some canning as well - although our garden isn't as big as it should be. I am thinking next year of increasing it's size to hopefully supply us with canned vegetables for most of the year. Only problem is canning is time consuming - luckily stay at home mom so she does most of the work.

Just a thought on the mentality of the "average joe" under the stress/situation that we are talking about here. During the Cuban Missile Crisis my folks lived in San Fernando Valley. I was at Homestead AFB in FL. I called them to see how they were doing, etc., didn't know at the time if we would get to talk again. My dad who was in WWII was amazed that people going to stores were stocking up on frozen food, milk, etc. The average american living in a city has no idea how to get along without the daily conveniences. Once they get really hungry........

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    If you have a gun to protect yourself, you have a gun to provide food. Maybe the hunting is sparse in your area, I am not above dogmeat for survival. If it walks it is edible. Don't limit your choices by palatability.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Assistant Administrator
    If it walks it is edible.
    Does that mean roadkills are out Chris
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    With all the canned food, etc. available in stores, food doesn't have to be a problem. There's canned meats, fruits, and veggies. The problem is storing, maintaining and replenishing our water supply if our normal water supply fails.

Water is heavy and bulky to transport, challenging to keep edible, etc. especially for extended periods of time. Of course depending on location, etc. water resources may be good or bad. Mine's bad. We simply don't have a good source of water if the "piped-in" water isn't available. Outside of snow or rain as a water source, I'm pretty well stuck with what I can store.

But, I think I've come up with a pretty good solution to the water problem, here goes:

We need a water tank or tanks that will store a reasonable amount of water that we believe will be sufficient to carry us through a crisis. Say we take a 100 gallon water tank or two 50 gallon water tanks, and we run our main water line into this tank(s) and feed our house from this tank. In an outage, our tank(s) will have 100 gallons of treated water in them. This is exactly what our 50 gallon hot water heaters do by the way, so that's another 50 gallons of water.

I believe the real beauty of the system is that the water in the tank(s) is kept fresh just by normal use of water.

So, if you can stay at home during the crisis, and don't have any other water source, there's your water storage answer. It uses no electricity, fuel, etc. but has 100 gallons of fresh, treated, (fresh, treated - is that an oxymoron?) water.

You can believe I'm gonna implement this for my house. We just gotta find some good water tanks that can withstand residential water pressure (inside the house pressure that is) - any thoughts?

Assistant Administrator
    Ron - if pressure not over about 30 psi then a 55 gall polyethylene drum might do if you can get one (or two) - they have IIRC 1/4'' walls and can be rigged to take std fittings.

Not sure where to find them tho ... and it was something I came across in UK. In principle tho that sorta deal would do it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

OD*
    Tangle,

Water is quite easy to keep useable for extended periods, you just add a few drops of chlorine bleach.
    Open it a few minutes before you plan on using, and the chlorine aroma will dissipate.
    Last edited by OD*; October 11th, 2005 at 11:53 AM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Tangle,

Water is quite easy to keep useable for extended periods, you just and a few drops of chlorine bleach.
    Open it a few minutes before you plan on using, and the chlorine aroma will dissipate.
    I've heard that, but seems like I heard some follow ups that indicated that didn't work as well as some thought. But, I'm not sure, one can hear anything. My wife did a lot of that for Y2K, but guess what happened to all that water.

My problem is that I must store water as I have no consistent way of obtaining it if the normal water services fail. At some point stored water will need to be refreshed or cycled or something to ensure it's quality. That's why the tank storage was appealing to me, it automatically refreshes itself until the water supply fails.

OD*
    Tangle,

Have you tried looking for water tanks at a farm implement store such as Tractor Supply? They normally have something along those lines in stock or can order them for you. FWIW, I know the bleach trick will work up to a least two years.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links