Is anybody doing anything in preparation for a possible attack in October?

This is a discussion on Is anybody doing anything in preparation for a possible attack in October? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OD Tangle, Have you tried looking for water tanks at a farm implement store such as Tractor Supply? They normally have something ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is anybody doing anything in preparation for a possible attack in October?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Tangle,

Have you tried looking for water tanks at a farm implement store such as Tractor Supply? They normally have something along those lines in stock or can order them for you. FWIW, I know the bleach trick will work up to a least two years.
    That may be a good resource. Also I wonder if companies that supply products for wells might have suitable tanks.

How does one know the bleach works for two years? I presume the water didn't have mold or taste issues, but did you have it tested for bacteria?

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Tangle,
    1) Use only Clorox Bleach. Consumer Reports, ASG (before it became whatever it is now), and several other independant testors have all found Clorox to be the only producer with consistent concentrations.

2) A Katadyn siphon filter for $50 from www.wholesalehunter.com is great peace of mind, and is rated for 13K gallons, of "not-soupy" water. TSC does have pressure tanks for water(you can hook them up to your house line, if not a well)- not terribly expensive, from what I recall.

Senior Moderator
    OD,

Checked the sites you posted; very helpful, although I really didn't see anything that said how long the treated water was good for except the implication that if it has a clorine smell you can use it.

One, http://www.i4at.org/surv/bleach.htm, said:

"To insure that Clorox Bleach is at its full strength, replace your storage bottle every three months".

Another, http://www.collierem.org/h2o_pure.htm, said:

Iodine: Household iodine from the medicine chest of first aid kit will purify water. The iodine should be 2% United States Pharmacopoeia (U. S. P.) strength. Add 20 drops per gallon of clear water, and 40 drops per gallon of cloudy water. Seal the container and let stand for 30 minutes. The water supply will be safe for an indefinite period.
    Now that's a long time!

Thanks for the info. I suppose the second reference above pretty much says that water treated with iodine will never go bad or need to be refreshed. Sounds almost too good to be true.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Tangle,
    1) Use only Clorox Bleach. Consumer Reports, ASG (before it became whatever it is now), and several other independant testors have all found Clorox to be the only producer with consistent concentrations.

2) A Katadyn siphon filter for $50 from www.wholesalehunter.com is great peace of mind, and is rated for 13K gallons, of "not-soupy" water. TSC does have pressure tanks for water(you can hook them up to your house line, if not a well)- not terribly expensive, from what I recall.
    From what I read from the references OD gave in his post, Clorox is changing from "regular" to Ultra Clorox. The site states that it is still safe for purifying water.

I'll check out the pressure tanks at www.wholesalehunter.com.

Thanks guys!

The tanks are already out there. Go to your local home improvement store and look in the section of the store that has the well pumps. The tanks are called diaphragm tanks IIRC. Anywhere from 5 to 70 gallons. These would work fine, IMO. Have fittings already in place and made for this to start with.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr
    The tanks are already out there. Go to your local home improvement store and look in the section of the store that has the well pumps. The tanks are called diaphragm tanks IIRC. Anywhere from 5 to 70 gallons. These would work fine, IMO. Have fittings already in place and made for this to start with.
    That's what I've been lookin' for. I'll check it out; "diaphragm tank" sounds expensive, but maybe not.

Thanks!

Here ya go. Made to store water from a well.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=PRESSURE_TANK
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr
    Here ya go. Made to store water from a well.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=PRESSURE_TANK
    Hmm, I think I'm gonna have to find out what

Pre-charged to 38 psi
    Maximum drawdown 19.2 gallons

means.

From what I have read (which is a lot - though no references) regarding water purification - bleach or iodine will kill most bacteria/cysts - BUT it will not kill some of the more resilient cysts. It will also not remove other particulate in the water that could be harmful if ingested. The best bet is to send it through a micron filter, which will filter out all cysts and particulate. The only thing this doesn't get is very small virii - which can be then killed with the chlorox or iodine.

If you didn't have a filter, I would have no problem using just the iodine or chlorox - would beat dehydration.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links