Is anybody doing anything in preparation for a possible attack in October?

This is a discussion on Is anybody doing anything in preparation for a possible attack in October? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Whether a terrorist attack comes in October or not, it seems wise to consider that an attack of some kind will occur sooner or later. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is anybody doing anything in preparation for a possible attack in October?

Senior Moderator

Whether a terrorist attack comes in October or not, it seems wise to consider that an attack of some kind will occur sooner or later.

It also seems that the target(s) picked would be to maximize harm, fear, and disruption which would suggest attacks in heavier populated areas (big cities) or events (football games). Nevertheless, if thereís one thing weíve learned from Katrina, it is that tragedies ripple from the focal point outward and eventually reach us all in some form. Did someone say gas prices?

IF attacks occurred at numerous locations, the ripple effect could affect things we take for granted and rely on. Our power generation is heavily taxed and the loss of enough electrical power in one area(s), could cause rationing in other areas in order to ďshipĒ power to affected areas. IF fuel supplies were sufficiently disrupted, food, fuel, and other supplies could be limited, even in parts of the country that were not otherwise impacted by the attack(s).

So, Iíve started thinking about and am going to implement an ongoing emergency preparedness plan that will at least address temporary power, water, food, heating, medical services and fuel outages or shortages. Looking at the logistics and cost of implementing a short-term plan, a long term seems prohibitively expensive.

For example, relying on MREs for two meals a day, for only two people: the best MRE deal Iíve found, that I trust, is $5.75 per meal. This is a cost the cost for one week would be, 2 meals * 2 people*7 days * $5.75 = $161 per week. That extends to about $644 per month. And thatís based on two meals a day! Three meals a day would come to $241.50 a week!

Itís the ongoing thatís the tough part. Again, using MREs as an example, the shelf life of an MRE is about 6 years edit: I just found it's 12+ years according to what Iíve read, so what happens to all that food in 6 years if it hasnít been eaten? One solution is to eat it and replace it as you eat it.

Batteries have the same issue. Alkalines have a relatively short life and lithium equivalents are very expensive. So again, what happens when the shelf life of all those batteries starts becoming ďof ageĒ? Thereís little choice but to replace them.

Anyway, at this point Iím looking for alternatives to MREs, water storage/collection/purification systems, of course our favorite, guns and ammo, lighting and cooking needs.

Another thing is gasoline storage. I suspect most of us could buy enough 2-1/2 gallon gas cans to store 30 Ė 50 gallons of emergency fuel. But, where does one safely and securely store that much gasoline? In the garage, ďout backĒ, in a shed?

Anyway, itís a lot more complex than I thought.

Edit: "addendum" thoughts - some stuff that would be nice
    A suppressor for my Storm 9mm
    A suppressed .22 cal. rifle.
    Last edited by Tangle; October 4th, 2005 at 02:23 PM.

I bought a food dehydrator several months ago and use it a bunch. That along with my vacuum packer/sealer has cached away enough food for two to eat two meals per day for a month and a half.

Was in Houston for the Pre-Rita fiasco and saw all the stores in the area run out of bottled water and batteries. Bought a carbon filter at Academy to make water potable. Also stocked up on rechargeable batteries and finishged this project yesterday:
    http://theepicenter.com/tow02077.html

Generator works well and I have enough gas cans to tuck away 25 gallons.

Sure, I could do more, but I feel like I have a decent head start.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

VIP Member
    http://www.bob-oracle.com/

This website has a lot of good info...check the section about long term storage of dry goods and food.

Also a good section about beer making.

I try to keep several bags of pinto beans, rice, and spaghetti in the cupboard....jars of peanut butter and other high fat type foods in reserve for emergency use. I figure that as long as I have water and fuel, I can feed myself for a couple of weeks or longer. I keep 2 propane tanks for my camp stove.

I don't have family here in Denver....I'm a boiler operator at a major hospital here (right across the street from my apartment). If the SHTF, I will be needed at the hospital to keep the heat and lights on for as long as possible. Immediate bug-out is probably not an option for me.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr
    I bought a food dehydrator several months ago and use it a bunch. That along with my vacuum packer/sealer has cached away enough food for two to eat two meals per day for a month and a half.
    What brand and where'd you get it?

About how long is the shelf life of vacuum sealed food?

Thanks!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    http://www.bob-oracle.com/

This website has a lot of good info...check the section about long term storage of dry goods and food.

I try to keep several bags of pinto beans, rice, and spaghetti in the cupboard....jars of peanut butter and other high fat type foods in reserve for emergency use. I figure that as long as I have water and fuel, I can feed myself for a couple of weeks or longer. I keep 2 propane tanks for my camp stove.
    My concern with dry goods is the cooking; some can take a loooonnnng time - lots of heat/fuel involved.

Peanut butter is good! I'm hungry! The propane tanks and camp stove is good. What kind of stove do you have?

VIP Member
    My camp stove is a Coleman 2-burner....I also have a single burner that operates off propane. My propane tanks are the standard size BBQ models.

I also forgot to add coffee to my list above...lots of cans of coffee
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Tangle, Do you know anybody in the south that can supply you with the brown boxed MRE's. (MIL-SPEC / MIL ISSUE) They are the overall best. The shelf life(IMO) is almost forever. The packet (individual meal) is enough for two people. Self heating. Lots of extra's in the packet. Actually good tastin'. I ate lots of C-Rations and K-Rations in SE Asia that were from WWII and they were still good. Even the canned water and the cigs. The newer MRE's that I feasted on after Ivan were excellent. They have max carbs and will make you feel full after eating only half of one. ---------

We're not as prepared as we probably should be, and it's something that will be given a lot more effort here very soon, and hopefully soon enough.

In the garage freezer there is probably 40-50lbs of various type of meat, elk, duck, boar, and regular old beef. Also have a smoker that needs to be fired up again here. Not counting whats in the water heaters (150gal) there is 40gal of fresh bottled water.

As for fuel storage easiest way I have found is in 55gal drums. I use them regularly for race gas in my bikes/truck so there is always some on hand. That and 100gal of diesel in the motor home which has a generator as well.

The big fuel drums aren't as bad to deal with as most people think. 2 guys can load one into a truck pretty easily. They are fully sealed and safe for long term storage. All are metal so the fuel doesn't degrade as much over time from sun exposure. It's a bigger issue with leaded fuel but still important.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Tangle, Do you know anybody in the south that can supply you with the brown boxed MRE's. (MIL-SPEC / MIL ISSUE) They are the overall best. The shelf life(IMO) is almost forever. The packet (individual meal) is enough for two people. Self heating...
    The ones I saw were from:

http://www.botac.com/

12 for $69.00 and they state they are "Mil-Spec, whatever that means and claim a shelf life of 12+ years. It's unclear if they come with the heater. They are closed today and tomorrow so I can't call to find out.

Monarch brand 7.62x39 FMJ catridges, 20 for $3 locally. Better than Wolf by quite a bit.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPurp
    ...The big fuel drums aren't as bad to deal with as most people think. 2 guys can load one into a truck pretty easily. They are fully sealed and safe for long term storage. All are metal so the fuel doesn't degrade as much over time from sun exposure. It's a bigger issue with leaded fuel but still important.
    What truck?

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    The MRE's that I have are also made by "The Wornick Co." They look pretty much the same as the ones from botac. The box is the same,the ingredients are the same also. The ones that I have were being handed out by the NG after Ivan. I volunteered to help them distribute them and they sent me home with "a few".-----------
    Last edited by RSSZ; October 4th, 2005 at 09:08 PM.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    The MRE's that I have are also made by "The Wornick Co." They look pretty much the same as the ones from botac. The box is the same,the ingredients are the same also.-------
    Cool! Yeah, but the heaters, do they have the heaters???

No more than i normaly do which im usually prepared. i havent went out of my way to do much more but ive kept a supply of stuff for years

Assistant Administrator
    Somewhat basic approach - and have not gone the MRE route, as yet anyways.

We keep a huge store of rice and beans - plus a large amount of canned stuff. I generally only keep about 25 galls of gas - but may increase that - its prime purpose to run a generator at intervals - sufficient to drag up enough water to fill pressure vessel and give freezer and fridge a chill down. I'd only reckon to run it for 30 mins every four hours, or so.

Always keep a good battery stock and rotate those - last in, last out.

I intend to get a largish solar cell array - really must get on that - so as to be able to replenish 12v battery charge - I can run a small 600W inverter from those batteries at intervals, save running gen'r.

Ammo stock in some cal's is obscene! And consumables for reloading also well up to level.

Fair amount of kerosene around - serves for Coleman lanters and keep a largish number of butane cyl's for camp cooker - plus Propane on hand for gas torch - good for melting bullet alloy.

Try to keep a good basic set of over counter pharmaceuticals and 1st aid stuff plus toiletries (the essential kind!).

I usually have plenty of welding gas - that means I can fabricate even with a power outage.

I still need to expand my water treatment goods - we are not far from a creek so that gives another water option.

The actual list is long - aided I might say by all recent discussions and great info in recent times.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links