If You Happen To Be In DC On Wednesday. . .

This is a discussion on If You Happen To Be In DC On Wednesday. . . within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is an update to the story of the US Navy SEAL (Mike Monsoor) who dove on a grenade to save others, running here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...el-merged.html ...

Thread: If You Happen To Be In DC On Wednesday. . .

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

If You Happen To Be In DC On Wednesday. . .

Here is an update to the story of the US Navy SEAL (Mike Monsoor) who dove on a grenade to save others, running here:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...el-merged.html

I would have posted this update in that thread but it has been closed. Anyhow, I would love to be able to attend and pay tribute to Petty Officer Monsoor and his family, but my work schedule won't allow it. Any of you in the area that can should attend either or both of these special ceremonies if possible.

Both ceremonies on 9 April 2008 are open to the public

2:00 pm - The Pentagon, Hall of Hero
    Open to those who have Pentagon access

7:00 pm - US Navy Memorial, 701 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C.
    Open to the public

A Navy SEAL who sacrificed himself to save his teammates during combat operations in Iraq will be posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor by President George W. Bush.

The parents of Master-At-Arms 2nd Class (SEAL) Michael A. Monsoor will accept the nation's highest military honor on behalf of their son during a White House ceremony April 8. The medal is awarded for 'conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty' by a member of the U.S. Armed Forces during combat against an enemy.

"I was happy to hear Mike will get the Medal of Honor,"said Special Warfare Operator 1st Class (SEAL) Tom DeShazo, who worked closely with Monsoor during the mission. "It is not something he would ever seek out or expect; but his clear decision to sacrifice his own life to save his teammates is worthy of this honor."

Monsoor, a 25 year-old machine gunner with SEAL Team Three, was providing security at a sniper lookout post on Sept. 29, 2006 in Ramadi when a grenade hit his chest and bounced to the floor. With only a moment to act, Monsoor threw himself onto the grenade, shielding three other SEALs and three Iraqi Army soldiers from the resulting blast.

"He had a love and respect for his teammates and his platoon. His nature was to complete the most difficult tasks without question," said Lt. Cmdr. Seth Stone, who served as Officer-in-Charge of Monsoor's unit during the action. "He was a fantastic warrior."

Although Monsoor died from his injuries, the two SEALs only a few feet from him survived with significant shrapnel wounds. The other SEAL and the Iraqi soldiers were either unharmed or received only minor injuries.

"Mike Monsoor exemplified the SEAL ethos," said Rear Adm. Joseph Kernan, the Commander of the Naval Special Warfare Command in San Diego. "He led by example and protected his teammates to the very end. But more than that, Mike was a brother in our family. We will honor him every day by upholding the values he shared with us as SEALs."

Monsoor is the first Navy SEAL to earn the Medal of Honor for actions in Iraq and the second Navy Seal to receive the award since Sept. 11, 2001. The other recipient, Lt. Michael P. Murphy, was recognized posthumously last October for his valor in combat alongside three other SEALs during a battle with Taliban forces in Afghanistan in 2005. Monsoor is the fifth armed forces service member to receive the Medal of Honor since the beginning of Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.

Monsoor will be inducted into the Hall of Heroes at the Pentagon during a ceremony scheduled April 9. His name will be engraved beside the names of some 3,401 other service members who have also been awarded the nation's highest honor. Monsoor was previously awarded the Silver Star, the Bronze Star (with Combat V) and the Purple Heart.

Summary of Action
    Petty Officer Second Class (SEAL) Michael A. Monsoor
    For actions on Sept. 29, 2006

Petty Officer Michael A. Monsoor, United States Navy, distinguished himself through conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as a Combat Advisor and Automatic Weapons Gunner for Naval Special Warfare Task Group Arabian Peninsula in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM on 29 September 2006. He displayed great personal courage and exceptional bravery while conducting operations in enemy held territory at Ar Ramadi Iraq.
    During OPERATION KENTUCKY JUMPER, a combined Coalition battalion clearance and isolation operation in southern Ar Ramadi, he served as automatic weapons gunner in a combined SEAL and Iraqi Army (IA) sniper overwatch element positioned on a residential rooftop in a violent sector and historical stronghold for insurgents. In the morning, his team observed four enemy fighters armed with AK-47s reconnoitering from roads in the sector to conduct follow-on attacks. SEAL snipers from his roof engaged two of them which resulted in one enemy wounded in action and one enemy killed in action. A mutually supporting SEAL/IA position also killed an enemy fighter during the morning hours. After the engagements, the local populace blocked off the roads in the area with rocks to keep civilians away and to warn insurgents of the presence of his Coalition sniper element. Additionally, a nearby mosque called insurgents to arms to fight Coalition Forces.
    In the early afternoon, enemy fighters attacked his position with automatic weapons fire from a moving vehicle. The SEALs fired back and stood their ground. Shortly thereafter, an enemy fighter shot a rocket-propelled grenade at his building. Though well-acquainted with enemy tactics in Ar Ramadi, and keenly aware that the enemy would continue to attack, the SEALs remained on the battlefield in order to carry out the mission of guarding the western flank of the main effort.
    Due to expected enemy action, the Officer in Charge repositioned him with his automatic heavy machine gun in the direction of the enemy's most likely avenue of approach. He placed him in a small, confined sniper hide-sight between two SEAL snipers on an outcropping of the roof, which allowed the three SEALs maximum coverage of the area. He was located closest to the egress route out of the sniper hide-sight watching for enemy activity through a tactical periscope over the parapet wall. While vigilantly watching for enemy activity, an enemy fighter hurled a hand grenade onto the roof from an unseen location. The grenade hit him in the chest and bounced onto the deck. He immediately leapt to his feet and yelled "grenade" to alert his teammates of impending danger, but they could not evacuate the sniper hide-sight in time to escape harm. Without hesitation and showing no regard for his own life, he threw himself onto the grenade, smothering it to protect his teammates who were lying in close proximity. The grenade detonated as he came down on top of it, mortally wounding him.
    Petty Officer Monsoor's actions could not have been more selfless or clearly intentional. Of the three SEALs on that rooftop corner, he had the only avenue of escape away from the blast, and if he had so chosen, he could have easily escaped. Instead, Monsoor chose to protect his comrades by the sacrifice of his own life.
    Petty Officer Monsoor's actions could not have been more selfless or clearly intentional. Of the three SEALs on that rooftop corner, he had the only avenue of escape away from the blast, and if he had so chosen, he could have easily escaped. He instead, chose to protect his comrades by the sacrifice of his own life. By his courageous and selfless actions, he saved the lives of his two fellow SEALs and he is the most deserving of the special recognition afforded by awarding the Medal of Honor.

For additional information, please visit the following website:
    Medal of Honor, MA2 Michael A. Monsoor
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

I'll make it a point to be there for the PNT portion.

Sorry I won't be in DC, but I have forwarded this to my Brother-in-law who will make the trip for us. he is a lobbyist (republican) who lives in Old Town.

Mr. Monsoor and his family will be in our prayers......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

tennvol and/or edr9,

If you are able to attend, please post a review, impressions, etc for those of us that would like to be there but can't.

Thanks,

Mike
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

Here is the news release from yesterday's medal award ceremony:

Political Radar: Bush Emotional at Medal Ceremony for Fallen Navy SEAL

ABC's Jennifer Duck reports: Clearly choked up, and at times wiping away his own tears, President Bush awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously at the White House Tueday to Navy SEAL Petty Officer Michael Monsoor, who was killed in Iraq in September of 2006 when he fell on a grenade to save comrades during fighting in Ramadi.

Monsoor was the fourth service member to receive the nation's highest award for valor in the 6 1/2 years of the Afghanistan and Iraq wars. Bush awarded the medal in the White House's East Room Tuesday to Monsoor's parents.

Bush described Monsoor's perseverance as a child, when coughing fits from severe asthma would land him in the hospital. "On some nights, his coughing fits would land him in the hospital. But Mike would not lie low for long. He strengthened his lungs by racing his siblings in the swimming pool. He worked to wean himself off his inhaler. He built himself into a superb athlete -- excelling from sports like football to snowboarding,"

Many SEALs knew Monsoor by his racy car. "His teammates liked to laugh about the way his shiny Corvette would leave everybody in the dust. But deep down, they always knew Mike would never leave anybody behind when it counted," Bush said.

The president noted Monsoor had tremendous strength while fighting in Iraq. "Because he served as both a heavy machine gunner and a communications operator, he often had a double load of equipment -- sometimes more than a hundred pounds worth. But under the glare of the hot desert sun, he never lost his cool."

In May of 2006 Monsoor saved a teammate's life by risking his own and lived to tell about it. President Bush described the incident: "With bullets flying all around them, Mike returned fire with one hand, while helping pull the injured man to safety with the other. In a dream about the incident months later, the wounded SEAL envisioned Mike coming to the rescue with wings on his shoulders."

But Michael Monsoor made the ultimate sacrifice on September 29, 2006 when he saved two teammates' lives. "Mike and two teammates had taken position on the outcropping of a rooftop when an insurgent grenade bounced off Mike's chest and landed on the roof. Mike had a clear chance to escape, but he realized that the other two SEALs did not. In that terrible moment, he had two options -- to save himself, or to save his friends. For Mike, this was no choice at all. He threw himself onto the grenade, and absorbed the blast with his body," President Bush said.

"One of the survivors put it this way: "Mikey looked death in the face that day and said, 'You cannot take my brothers. I will go in their stead," Bush said.

"May God comfort you and may God bless America," Bush managed to choke out near the end of his tribute to Monsoor.

The Medal of Honor ceremony comes on the first of two days of Congressional testimony from Gen. David Petraeus, commander in Iraq, and Amb. Ryan Crocker, US Ambassador to Iraq, who are discussing the war in Iraq, now in it's 6th year.
    Really looking forward to some first-hand reactions from any that were able to attend today's ceremony at the Pentagon, or this evenings at the Navy Memorial.

- Thomas Jefferson

Links