I need some input on this please...preschool security plan

This is a discussion on I need some input on this please...preschool security plan within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by cdwolf If it's an armed gunman....shoot him or pray! If a crazed father is about to lose his kids and walks in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some input on this please...preschool security plan

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    If it's an armed gunman....shoot him or pray!
    If a crazed father is about to lose his kids and walks in the door to kill them and himself, along with whoever is in the way, when will you know!
    If it's not until he's in the room with you..Half will be running and half will hide!
    There is a reason we have all heard about plan A, plan B, plan C.. Plans don't always work.
    Good luck!
    Amen to that- I told them they needed to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

2. Remove Ads

In my opinion I would have to say to do a lock down. I am not a expert or anything like that. I worked at a summer camp last summer, working with young children age range from 4-12. Well with the older ones they can fallow directions well and can organize well. But when it comes to the younger children (4-7) they cant fallow directions as well. I know it is not with your side but I believe that trying to get they younger children to run and stay quite, plus make sure you have all of them to together. I think that would be impossiable!

Quote Originally Posted by divkat9 View Post
    Being a military man myself I can appreciate your response. I didn't advocate running to an unsecured location. The preschool van is 20yds outside the door(s) and there is a volunteer fire station/EMS building approx. 250yds from the church.
    Once again- I like the idea of a hardened room but there are cons to that as well- such as:
    Is the threat between the kids and the safe room? (this can be applied to evacuation as well which is why I see the need to plan for both)
    Can you get 20 kids in a panic to follow you to the designated room?
    If the threat locks the building down while kids are in the safe room- where does that put the situation?

Response times in this community can be up to half an hour or more-

I think a plan that would allow for evacuation -or- relocating to a secure room would be good. There are nine entrance/exits in the building and as hard as they try to keep them all locked it just never happens. It's ridiculous and there are too many people with keys but that's another fight altogether.
    Is there a basement? Could a basement room double as a hardened room with a few modifications (door, frame etc...)...although that cause problems with evac'ing if needed.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

No basements around here.

But I am appreciative of all the ideas and comments here.

I think shelter in place is the way to go here.
    4-5 adults can handle getting the kids out for a fire evacuation easy enough, but the fire is not going to aggressively pursue them or burn them from a distance. I think the plan about getting to the van and bugging out is better than nothing, but it involves too many variables beyond your control, in my opinion.
    Depending on your buildings construction you might be able to get away with just hardening your doors. Home Depot here in Texas has signs up about Kevlar reinforced safe rooms for tornadoes. I haven't looked into them yet, but if you could add a couple of panels to the classroom doors, and some good locks you might be able to fortify the classrooms for less than you would expect.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links