Sniper! Seven British soldiers killed by same gun WHAT?

This is a discussion on Sniper! Seven British soldiers killed by same gun WHAT? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sniper fears as seven British soldiers killed by same gun - Telegraph An 18-year-old was one of seven British soldiers to be killed by the ...

Thread: Sniper! Seven British soldiers killed by same gun WHAT?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Sniper fears as seven British soldiers killed by same gun - Telegraph

An 18-year-old was one of seven British soldiers to be killed by the same gun, an inquest has heard, raising fears that a crack sniper was targetting British troops.
    # Frontline: Our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan

Rifleman Aaron Lincoln, of the 2nd Battalion, The Rifles, died whilst patrolling the streets in April last year a few weeks before he was due to return home from his tour of duty of Southern Iraq.

Seven British soldiers killed by possible sniper
    Rifleman Lincoln loved army life

The inquest heard how the bullet that fatally wounded him had exactly the same markings as those which killed six other British soldiers in Basra last year and it is almost certain that they were fired from the same gun - possibly operated by a sniper.Or possibly the gun acted on it's own?

Rifleman Lincoln, from Durham, died after the single bullet hit his head and penetrated his protective glasses and helmet.

The inquest in Spennymore, Co Durham heard how that the gun thought to have killed all seven British soldiers had been manufactured by a US arms firm but had been operated by an insurgent rather than US forces.

Coroner Andrew Tweddle recorded a narrative verdict of unlawful killing, adding that Rifleman Lincoln was shot by enemy fire.

So are they gonna criminally charge the sniper? granted this isn't a state to state war, but it is combat, right? I'm confused.

He said: “He sustained a single gun shot wound to the head.”

“This 5.56 mm, US manufactured round, was not fired by friendly forces.”

He explained that forensic scientist Ann Kiernan, who was also present at the inquest, “has been able to corroborate and confirm that this single weapon in Basra has been responsible for a number of fatalities”.
    advertisement

Ms Kiernan, who is based with the company LGC Forensics, told the court how analysis had revealed that the bullet it had been fired from the same gun than had killed several other soldiers in the Basra area last year.

She added that the bullets were manufactured in America by Lake City Arsenal, an arms manufacturer.

It is already known that Rifleman Paul Bonnachie, Cpl Rodney Wilson, Kingsman Danny Wilson and Kingsman Alan Jones died from bullets from the same gun in Basra last year.

The inquests of other two soldiers thought to have been killed by the same gun are yet to take place.

Rifleman Lincoln’s platoon had been sent onto the city streets as part of an operation to divert enemy attention away from a convoy of 30 British trucks, the court heard.

His company commander, Major Alexander Baring, told the court that the danger to soldiers at the time of the incident was great.

“The threat in Basra city was a very heavy threat and I would say it was increasing,” he said.

The court heard that the military is not yet able to provide soldiers with helmets strong enough to withstand the sort of high-velocity bullet that killed Rifleman Lincoln.That would be some helmet!

Outside court, Captain Mark Skinner, the liaison officer for Rifleman Lincoln’s family, read out a statement on their behalf.

"Aaron died doing a job that he absolutely loved to do,” he said.

“Aaron wanted to be in the army, they wanted him to be in the army.

“He unfortunately was in the wrong place, wrong time.”
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

It's no big secret that we have had several squads ambushed and their weapons stolen including a marine corp sniper squad that had 6 members killed.It's also a known fact that a 7.62x39 AK round will penetrate a kevlar helmet also.
    They also stated the round wasn't fired by friendly forces,I look at any round coming at me as being unfriendly
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    It's also a known fact that a 7.62x39 AK round will penetrate a kevlar helmet also.
    I would guess that Dragonuv's, or some knock-offs, were used (7.62x54R). I'm with the OP, that would be quite a helmet to stop those rounds.

-B

Yup, Kevlars don't stop bullets, I know that one.

A Marine Sniper team was ambushed early in the war and lost a significant amount of weaponry and ammo, including their M40, it was confirmed to have been used against many U.S. servicemen before it was re-captured by American forces.

Weapons have been lost by us and acquired by the enemy. Snipers are a constant threat that service members in Iraq have to worry about. Do a search for Juba, although you won't like the video that accompanies it.

EDIT: Drugnov SVD's and the variants do fire the 54R round, which does a pretty decent job against body armor. These weapons are rather prolific in Iraq, including the Iraqi copy.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    :“This 5.56 mm, US manufactured round, was not fired by friendly forces.”......

....."She added that the bullets were manufactured in America by Lake City Arsenal, an arms manufacturer."
    Looks like it was fired by an M-16 or a variant using 5.56, NOT an AK!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I would guess that Dragonuv's, or some knock-offs, were used (7.62x54R). I'm with the OP, that would be quite a helmet to stop those rounds.

-B
    BIG difference in the hole made by the penetrator .223 rounds and a 7.62x39/54. I assume they found some brass with the LC stamp, unless Sierra (?) is microstamping. We've been hearing how fantastic the DMR rifles are...I guess so. Maybe we need to concentrate on killing "them" instead of worrying about how they feel about hostility.

Lead Moderator
    Battlefield pick up most likely.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    So much for the puny, less than lethal M855 round...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

basra area? isn't that where some of the gear stolen in a 2007 attack on US forces(with 8 KIA 2 MIA) ened up? im gonna be diggin through on paperwork again.(yes i take the capture of my brothers personaly)
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

I'm sure they could tell it was 5.56mm and made my Lake City from the bullet alone. I doubt they found any brass laying around....if they were looking for the "sniper", they would have found him. I say "sniper" because the man shot was a rifleman, which makes me think this was an amateur with some shooting skill (or hiding skill). Just my thoughts on it....I'm sure there are plenty of our rifles and ammo floating around. Think how many of "theirs" we have destroyed in the last 5 years.

Austin

Sponsored Links