Sheriff Joe Arpaio

This is a discussion on Sheriff Joe Arpaio within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; he does not put them in "girls underwear" he merely issues all prisoners pink clothing - some systems use stripes or bright orange - Pink ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheriff Joe Arpaio

he does not put them in "girls underwear" he merely issues all prisoners pink clothing - some systems use stripes or bright orange - Pink has long been known to be a psychologically calming color...

he gives them nutritively adequate meals, and he does it at an extremely low cost...

If you are arrested, and have been living in an un-air conditioned environment in AZ and you wind up in his jail how is that cruel?

his simplistic methods of housing criminals was to comply with a judges order to uncrowd the overcrowded jail - the people of Maricopa Co. have had a choice - build more facilities or let the prisoners go...

Arpaio for President...

2. Remove Ads

He takes away the weight bench. I have never understood why you would let a prisoner workout to the point that when he gets out he's the size of a truck. Just stupid! All prisons should be like this!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    He's not liked by some of his officers, IIRC, for various reasons. One reason is because he requires all deputies to carry 24/7. He's also caught flak because the deputies he pulled for the Immigration Task Force had to come from somewhere. I recall reading that the action required the closing of a Sheriff's Office out in Wickenburg - which is why Aguila has got such a massive crime problem (the residents have taken the law into their own hands in quite a few cases).

Just playing Devil's Advocate, though. I wish I lived in Maricopa so I could say I have voted for him. I love him!

And as far as 'Cruel and Unusual Punishment'... if you think its cruel, don't commit crime. That's like arguing that we shouldn't be allowed to defend ourselves against an armed mugger because the justice system would only give them seven years in jail with cable tv, weights, 3 squares, and all the amenities the ACLU can provide.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    And as far as 'Cruel and Unusual Punishment'... if you think its cruel, don't commit crime. That's like arguing that we shouldn't be allowed to defend ourselves against an armed mugger because the justice system would only give them seven years in jail with cable tv, weights, 3 squares, and all the amenities the ACLU can provide.
    I cannot see how anyone can consider providing shelter and food to prisoners 'cruel and unusual.' I suggest anyone who thinks Arpaio's management of the criminal scum to be untoward, they should google medievil torture, in particular the 'brass bull.' Then compare with America's sheriff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    It might sound "cute" and just to put prisoners in tents, cloth them in girl's underwear, and feed them the worst sort of food that can be bought for a few cents per person per day, but it isn't sensible.
    He does not buy them any food. They eat what they grow. They have gardens they get their veggies from and a hog farm to supply the bologna. I think it is great. That is irrelevant though. They are criminals. If they don't like, they should not break the law(in his county anyways).
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Frankly I have never understood the acclaim this man receives. I've watched him on TV many times, followed news stories about him for many years. If a small fraction of the stunts he has been reported to have pulled are true, I think he is unsuited for the position.

It might sound "cute" and just to put prisoners in tents, cloth them in girl's underwear, and feed them the worst sort of food that can be bought for a few cents per person per day, but it isn't sensible.

The guy gets elected and elected and reelected by appealing to the most base instinct in the electorate to punish wrongdoers without mercy or restraint.

Whatever good might come of that, it is going to be offset by a hardening of those who have been harshly treated.

And then, there is the entire issue of where cruel and unusual punishment starts and ends.
    Jail isn't supposed to be comfortable, it has only become like it is over the past 40 years or so. Inmates have sued him because he didn't provide cable TV, apparently it's the law that prisoners have a right to cable TV. They want better meals, but he provides nutrionally adequate food, not something they'll like.

Some people have it better in prison than on the outside. One of the purposes of prison is to be bad enough that people don't want to come back. I think that is what he's trying to do, make these guys not want to go back to jail.

But maybe in some of these cases it would be better if the person had been shot by their victim so they wouldn't have to suffer these abuses.

VIP Member

Not all are criminals

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    He does not buy them any food. They eat what they grow. They have gardens they get their veggies from and a hog farm to supply the bologna. I think it is great. That is irrelevant though. They are criminals. If they don't like, they should not break the law(in his county anyways).
    There are plenty who are being held awaiting a trial who can't post bond. No one knows if they are criminals or not.

And Arapaio's treatment of the multi-drug resistant tuberculosis patient he held was abominable.

He's no hero in my book.

VIP Member

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Jail isn't supposed to be comfortable, it has only become like it is over the past 40 years or so. Inmates have sued him because he didn't provide cable TV, apparently it's the law that prisoners have a right to cable TV. They want better meals, but he provides nutrionally adequate food, not something they'll like.

Some people have it better in prison than on the outside. One of the purposes of prison is to be bad enough that people don't want to come back. I think that is what he's trying to do, make these guys not want to go back to jail.

But maybe in some of these cases it would be better if the person had been shot by their victim so they wouldn't have to suffer these abuses.
    I don't know if that's the law, that they must have cable. Sounds a bit goofy if true. Probably that is an exaggeration.

Jails, even in harsh on crime places like Texas, must meet state mandated jail standards. If what has been put on TV and on the news about Maricopa Cnty jails is true, I doubt they would meet even the lax standards in Texas. But, I admit that I don't know this for certain.
    I only know what I saw on TV and in the news, and I was unimpressed by Mr. Arapaio.

morintp wrote:"But maybe in some of these cases it would be better if the person had been shot by their victim so they wouldn't have to suffer these abuses."

He has appeared on TV with some "ladies" in there for prostitution. I hope no one wants to shoot them.

And, I don't want anyone in there for relatively minor issues dehydrating to death in the Arizona sun because the state won't provide adequate shelter.

Most things in life need to be done in proportionate manner. Stiff and very unpleasant punishments in the form of harsh living conditions for folks who commit serious crimes might be O.K., but I have a big problem when they are applied to minor criminals and to those not yet tried.

And I have an even bigger problem when they are applied to someone held solely because of an illness-- the guy with T.B.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I don't know if that's the law, that they must have cable. Sounds a bit goofy if true. Probably that is an exaggeration.
    From the article:
    He took away cable TV Until he found out there was A Federal Court Order
    that Required Cable TV For Jails So He Hooked Up The Cable TV Again, But Only Let In The Disney Channel And The Weather Channel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard
    He has appeared on TV with some "ladies" in there for prostitution. I hope no one wants to shoot them.
    Not with my pistol, but maybe with my gun.

Eww. Not with that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard
    And, I don't want anyone in there for relatively minor issues dehydrating to death in the Arizona sun because the state won't provide adequate shelter.

Most things in life need to be done in proportionate manner. Stiff and very unpleasant punishments in the form of harsh living conditions for folks who commit serious crimes might be O.K., but I have a big problem when they are applied to minor criminals and to those not yet tried.

And I have an even bigger problem when they are applied to someone held solely because of an illness-- the guy with T.B.
    I agree.

Nice try...please justify this statement. Nowhere has it been reported that this has happened. Just because it is hot in the tent doesn't mean it isn't adequate shelter.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Sheriff Joe is a man's man.
    Anyone can have their own "Sheriff Joe" running the county LEOs, the problem is the number of Far-left Liberals you have in your area that would prevent it.

I am very confused by this. I thought that a jail is place of detention prior to sentencing. Does this mean that there are innocents who have not had their day in court in Sheriff Arpaio's jail? Whatever happened with that case where he was accused of using his office to conceal ownership of commercial real estate? Didn't he go by the moniker "Dimebag Joe" when he worked for the DEA? I thought there were a series of lawsuits including one for wrongful death filed against the Maricopia jail?

From a Defensive Carry perspective, I think that the only thing here is too be very careful in understanding the law in Maricopia County, Arizona and to have a bail bondsman on speed dial. I would not want to have any sort of interaction with the Sheriff's office.

I retired from Maricopa County. Arpaio is a media hound buffoon. While he's done some amazing cost cutting measures, the county has paid out millions of dollars in lawsuits. The jails are a mixture of convicted (mostly misdemeanors) and folks who can't or won't bail out. They are not yet guilty, but they are not housed in Tent City. Arpaio made tons of friends when the inmates complained about the heat in the tents (which are military surplus). He stated that if our boys over in the sandbox can live in tents, so can his inmates. Joe's a media master. He brought Shaq in and made him an honorary deputy a few years ago. Now he actually lives here. He started chain gangs to clean roadways and vacant lots. He caters to the huge number of retirees in Maricopa County, and they ALL vote. Few of his employees care for him. His priorities do not lie with the deputy on the street. His recent campaign against illegal immigrants is doing wonders with his upcoming attempt at a fifth term in office. His office is rife with cronyism. The cities of Mesa and Phoenix have come across as catering to the illegals, Joe is making all the other departments look like fools when the blame first of all lies with the feds. Second, the cities in Maricopa County are scared to death to be labeled racist. That is why the illegal immigration problem has grown exponentially over the years. Joe is indeed a "get er done" guy, and is not afraid to step on toes doing it. He's really a mixed bag.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Arpaio is a media hound buffoon.
    He caters to the huge number of retirees in Maricopa County, and they ALL vote.
    Few of his employees care for him. His priorities do not lie with the deputy on the street.
    His office is rife with cronyism.
    I think you have summed up Arpaio very well.

Biker

Sheriff Joe is the Best. He runs the Jail, like a Jail should be run. I worked at MCSO back in 1988, Madison Street Jail, prior to Sheriff Joe taking office. It was always crowded. Then I can remember him taking Office and I use to see him in the Malls, signing the Pink Underware, to make money for other Dept. matters. He really is the Man. Now I'm back in Michigan, working in a Jail again and our Sheriff now is afraid of everything, especially being sued, so he ahs the top staff making sure inmates get everything. It BS but I will be out soon. I also took my Corrections Academy at Durange Jail before working at MCSO.. What a 6 weeks program. It did help out. I was a road officer prior to moving to Az.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links