Petraeus' 'ribbon creep' - Page 2

Petraeus' 'ribbon creep'

This is a discussion on Petraeus' 'ribbon creep' within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I believe the Navy allows you to wear only your top 3; I'd love that policy....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I believe the Navy allows you to wear only your top 3; I'd love that policy.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Sometimes this forum can be so boring...

As I look out in the backyard, one of my dogs just 'pooped' back by the shed, and now I find out that Matthew DeBord is a writer in Los Angeles...neither means much to me...but the situations ARE somewhat similar... Oh well, life goes on...

Next topic please?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    It goes back further than 9/11. A couple years before I retired (1985) the Army came out with a bunch of ribbons, I think I actually "added" a whole row! I can't even remember what they all were but they were for things like finishing a service school, getting out of basic, being sent overseas........ In other words doing my job.

Never agreed with it, but regulation says............

(I do recall being out at Andrews AFB on a detail one day and seeing a mid-level Army NCO by the fence. He was wearing one ribbon, and you knew he just had to have more..... It was baby blue with little stars. No one called him on it!)
    Well, I think you'd be hard-pressed to convince him that any others were any more important than that one anyway. He probably figured once he had that one, what's the point of the others(besides that whole regs problem)?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

It would seem that a writer in LA could find all kinds of stuff to write about without attacking an Army General . Some suggestions:

1. City council and police chiefs support of illegal aliens.
    2. The rampant gang problem.
    3. A violent crime rate that rivals that of Somalia.

The writer most likely is suffering from a very bad case of penis envy: The General has one and the writer does not.

Ribbon regs

I believe the Navy allows you to wear only your top 3; I'd love that policy.

True, but not when wearing "Full Dress" uniform. Dress Blues or Whites is the "cracker jack" uniform and is acceptable with the three highest decorations. Full Dress Blues/Whites requires all decorations earned, and medals, to boot. Decorations not having a corresponding medal are worn as ribbons on the right side. Warfare designations are to be worn at all times (S.S., A.W., S.W., SEAL, U.D.T., etc).

The Navy doesn't have any command-wide awards/decorations. Everything is personal, although an award can be given to everyone in a command. Example, I got a Meritorious Unit Citation, as did everyone else in the command. Nobody assigned to the command later got to wear one, we all took ours with us permenantly.

"It was baby blue with little stars. No one called him on it"

if its the one im immidiatly thought of i wouldn't dare. seeing as that ribbon normaly goes only to the greatest butt kickers of all. and if their breathing while wearing it i'd say let them do as they want.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    "It was baby blue with little stars. No one called him on it"

if its the one im immidiatly thought of i wouldn't dare. seeing as that ribbon normaly goes only to the greatest butt kickers of all. and if their breathing while wearing it i'd say let them do as they want.
    That was my thought when I saw it!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Matthew DeBord is an ...... no, I can't do it...they'll send me another warning!
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Yup, baby blue with stars and still walking, that guy can pretty much do as they want.

These days you get two ribbons before you even deploy anywhere, in the Corps at least.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Screw that hippie! Gen Petraeus did a great job in front of Congress and Senate comittees, but he had to find something... anything to attack.

I wore every ribbon/medal I rated, not because of regs... because I RATED. Every one was due to my actions be it personal or unit. Although, there were a few chuckles in the ranks when I got my good conduct metal.

The Army did seem to give em out a lot back then (late '80's early '90's), I bought a kid going home for 'post boot camp leave' a burger at the airport and he had a full row.

Semper Fi

rhino, who hates hippies.
    Last edited by rhinokrk; April 16th, 2008 at 11:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote:
    Although, there were a few chuckles in the ranks when I got my good conduct metal.

Funny thing, I had the same experience when I got mine. My Division Chief was doubled over laughing. Maybe that's why we called it the "didn't get caught" medal.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 guy View Post
    Quote:
    Although, there were a few chuckles in the ranks when I got my good conduct metal.
    Maybe that's why we called it the "didn't get caught" medal.
    It's still called that......and my shipmates still giggle OPENLY when thier awarded
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links