Flight Deck Officer Holster

This is a discussion on Flight Deck Officer Holster within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, I don't think this is a good idea for pilots (makes a little more sense for the USSS traveling/hotels scenario), but I do have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flight Deck Officer Holster

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Okay, I don't think this is a good idea for pilots (makes a little more sense for the USSS traveling/hotels scenario), but I do have this question: If the gun fits the holster, and the gun is secured with the thumbbreak in place, how can the trigger be behind the padlock and make the gun go *boom*?

I stayed out of the other thread, but I have to say, bad as the design is, I am with OPFOR. Somebody still has to screw up to put a hole in a plane with this.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    If the gun fits the holster, and the gun is secured with the thumbbreak in place, how can the trigger be behind the padlock and make the gun go *boom*?

I stayed out of the other thread, but I have to say, bad as the design is, I am with OPFOR. Somebody still has to screw up to put a hole in a plane with this.

100% correct. If the holster is used correctly, the trigger cannot actuate. The only way to make that happen is to partially insert the pistol into the holster so that only the front part of the trigger guard (the space in front of the trigger) is showing in the hole. Then insert the lock, which causes it to sit in front of the trigger, where the trigger finger normally rests for firing. Then, and only then, if you force the pistol further into the holster, it will go *BANG*!. Of course, it should only fire once before malfunctioning. Inattention with loaded firearms will consistently cause unexpected loud noises and holes where they did not used to be.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    100% correct. If the holster is used correctly, the trigger cannot actuate. The only way to make that happen is to partially insert the pistol into the holster so that only the front part of the trigger guard (the space in front of the trigger) is showing in the hole. Then insert the lock, which causes it to sit in front of the trigger, where the trigger finger normally rests for firing. Then, and only then, if you force the pistol further into the holster, it will go *BANG*!. Of course, it should only fire once before malfunctioning. Inattention with loaded firearms will consistently cause unexpected loud noises and holes where they did not used to be.
    Gonzo
    ya that was kind of what I was thinking.

Everything TGG said.

All the hoopla about this design and the TSA's policies being at fault are off base. Again, " If the holster is used correctly, the trigger cannot actuat." I should add that the FFDOs are taught how to use them correctly.

Who asked about the lock box? The FFDOs had them, complained about them being inconvenient and conspicuous, and the USSS design was adopted as a comromise. Things being what they are, a "propriatary" FFDO holster came along (why waste an opportunity to design and market something, right?).
    God, country, family.

ok the video explains a lot. weapon in red condition, DAO, and no manual saftey. add the lock right by the trigger and your practicly begging for an ND.
    hence why i don't carry a weapon without a manual saftey... ever.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    hence why i don't carry a weapon without a manual saftey... ever.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Fair enough, but wouldn't a lockable case (as comes standard with the USSSs Sig P229s) be a better option? Or the venerable trigger lock? I just don't like the idea of threading things in and around the trigger while the gun is not completely under the operator's control (and it is presumably loaded, as it's sitting in the duty holster), even if I understand the idea behind it.
    Trigger locks are not recommanded for loaded firearms as they can shift and operate the trigger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links