My airline post-flight report

This is a discussion on My airline post-flight report within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I flew from Pensacola to Newport News VA and back this weekend, brought a snubnose revolver and a box of ammo with me in my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My airline post-flight report

My airline post-flight report

I flew from Pensacola to Newport News VA and back this weekend, brought a snubnose revolver and a box of ammo with me in my checked luggage.
    I had no problems with either the AirTran personnel or the TSA on either end, though none of them were very knowledgeable about transporting firearms.
    Out of 2 airline agents and 2 TSA agents, NO one ever asked me to show them that the gun was unloaded. I offered on both ends.
    No one asked if I had ammo and I never volunteered the info.
    The TSA person in Newport News thought that the luggage needed to be locked, in ADDITION to the hard-sided handgun case, but I told her that it was not required and she took me for my word. I had a copy of their policy in case it was needed.
    All in all, pretty painless.

Just thought I'd share.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Quite surprising but good to hear they didnt give you a lot of run around

Assistant Administrator
    I hate to admit it - I am almost impressed

Having heard so many horror stories.!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

It appears there is hope for us yet.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Comforting news, maybe send a card to the airline ceo and express how great the service is. But wait, that would probably bring about major changes at the operating level and ruin everything. Glad it went smooth for you that is the main thing.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    isn't ignorance bliss.
    Imagine if they thought they knew the rules.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I have never flown that particular airline, but have flown many times with a checked handgun. I've never had a problem from airline personel or TSA. I love the occasional head snap from other passengers if they happen to hear me declair that I have a handgun in my luggage though.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I fly a couple times a month with handguns and occasionally a long gun...no ammo. My experience is different everytime but I've never had any trouble with TSA. Some airports are more thorough than others.

I did have one TSA agent tell his co-worker that there was a cool AK-47 in one of my Pelican cases (it was an M4gery). Oh well...

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    sarhog, you were in my backyard this weekend. So you know part of the reason you had few problems is VCDL (www.vcdl.org) an excellent organization who has dedicated themselves to educating the authorities about the laws concerning CCW. For instance, it is LEGAL to CCW in the non-sterile portions of an airport. (outside the metal detectors) You flew to a really CCW friendly state.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Last time I flew my checked bag showed up 3 days late. It finally showed up on a different airline. The bag had taken a detour to Detroit. When I went to get the bag it had a 7 inch tear, a 1 inch tear, damage to the carry strap a large oil stain on the side and it was obvious the bag was dragged around the ramp for a while. The trim on the bag was ground down. Worst of all my Benchmade 705 axis lock was stolen, oh I mean "pilfered", that is the official term. The thief must have been pretty happy with his new knife because he must have stopped looking or he would have also found my Benchmade 710. I hope the SOB cuts his wrist with it. I kept that little knife darn sharp. I filed a claim for the bag and the "pilferage" but I am not going to hold my breath about replacement for either. Makes me think twice about airline travel with a handgun.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

VIP Member
    I've also heard other horror stories about tampered luggage. One guy had a locked case with his handgun in it and it had been pried at, but the wannabe thieves couldn't get in.

Earlier this year, my mother came back from her trip to Viet Nam, and her suitcase somehow ended up on another plane and arrived days later. The airline profusely apologized and mailed the luggage straight to her workplace as soon as they received it. Everything was intact with no signs of tampering, including thousands of dollars worth of gold and jade jewelry she bought on her trip.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    I've also heard other horror stories about tampered luggage. One guy had a locked case with his handgun in it and it had been pried at, but the wannabe thieves couldn't get in.

Earlier this year, my mother came back from her trip to Viet Nam, and her suitcase somehow ended up on another plane and arrived days later. The airline profusely apologized and mailed the luggage straight to her workplace as soon as they received it. Everything was intact with no signs of tampering, including thousands of dollars worth of gold and jade jewelry she bought on her trip.
    Betty, glad it worked out, but . . .

Tell Mom that next time, carry ALL valuables on her person or in carry-on. If you read the liability statement, the airlines are NOT responsible for the theft of any valuables! It is in the standard IATA contract that none of us read, but are bound by.

Assistant Administrator
    It is in the standard IATA contract that none of us read, but are bound by.
    Let's hear it for the small print!! - the great ''catch-all'' for such organizations and insurance companies etc!

Somewhere - buried - will be that lil' clause - ''we are NOT liable''
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Tell Mom that next time, carry ALL valuables on her person or in carry-on.
    I should tell her that. I'm surprised she put the jewelry in there, but mom likes to squirrel stuff away in different locations. She had half in her carry-on, and half in her checked luggage. I'm really surprised she got everything intact; I expected the jewelry to be stolen.

It's not uncommon for mailed packages to/from there to be opened up, probably for inspection or thieves looking for valuables.

The first time mom went back to Viet Nam, it was not legal for her to export any heirloom jewelry. Only new pieces could be exported, and you had to have a receipt. (I have no idea why.) Anyhow, she was wearing grandma's very nice old horn/gold bracelet and was caught at the airport in Nam. They took it away from her. The amazing thing is - they returned it to the family!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

When my wife travels back to Vietnam she leaves all her stuff at home in the safe. Buys new and wears it back. I on the other hand I have always wore my 37 year old Vietnamese ruby ring and 2 oz braclet both ways and no one has ever said anything. She almost got in trouble the last trip because she brought more than 300 hotwheel cars to give to kids and 100 pairs of shoes. They were going to take it away from her but when I and 5 of my American friends started they OK'd us to take the stuff without any more trouble. We gave it all away out in 3 small villages where some of the wife's family lives. The look on the kids faces was priceless. Some had never had shoes or seen little hotwheel cars but had a blast with them. They also liked the school supplies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links