Sad case of poor mindset

Sad case of poor mindset

This is a discussion on Sad case of poor mindset within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Warning - this is graphic - and actually quite an old report. Thing is - here is a cop who thru (seemingly) a total reluctance ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad case of poor mindset

Assistant Administrator

Sad case of poor mindset

Warning - this is graphic - and actually quite an old report.

Thing is - here is a cop who thru (seemingly) a total reluctance to act - paid with his life. I felt sick watching it as it all seemed so avoidable. Stole this from a post on THR but thought you oughta see it.

I reckon as we mostly know - if push comes to shove - procrastination can be fatal.

The demise of a hesitant LEO
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1952 - 2006
    That is a bad situation. It shouldn't have gone that way. So many bad decisions or lack of by this officer. Damn shame.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

i typicall pass on the Graphic Videos so how about a Cliff Notes Theater Version

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    First---I greve for the LEO's family. He didn't have to die. He died as a direct result of improper training and/or stupidity. From the time the LEO first saw the weapon how long was it to his(the LEO's) first shot?? How many times did the LEO say"sir,drop the weapon--put the weapon down" ?? Did the LEO have access to a long arm(shotgun,carbine) ?? This tape(sadly) should be used as a training tool for other LEO's. Anybody that ,when stopped by a LEO,comes up with a weapon,deserves to die. Right there,right then. These people get paid to protect ME ??? This is just another example of why I say," stay off my property,stay outta my house,keep outta my way,I will do what needs to be done to protect myself and my family and you can rest assured that your dispatcher will be the first that I call after the problem is solved. Then you can come fill out your report. -----------

Assistant Administrator
    Bud - this was a piece quoted about this incident -
    THE INCIDENT
    Deputy Kyle Dinkheller, Laurens County, GA, was minutes from being off duty when he
    encountered a speeding pickup truck going 98 mph. The deputy was an ICE (Interstate
    Criminal Enforcement) officer that dealt with traffic infractions, speeding and the occasional
    drug bust. This was a low risk or unknown risk stop for speeding. He radioed in the speeding
    infraction, made a U-turn in the median and pursued the vehicle.
    The driver, Andrew Brannan, stopped his vehicle, exited and started a crazy, dancing jig in
    the middle of the road while swearing at the officer and shouting ?I?m a god-damned
    Vietnam vet.? At first, he ignored Dinkheller?s commands to step towards the deputy, which
    always began with `Sir?.
    When he finally complied, he attacked the deputy and a scuffle ensued. The deputy
    implemented the use of his asp and ordered Brannan to `get back?. This procedure was
    repeated, but after what appeared to be a second scuffle, the suspect returned to his vehicle
    and retrieved a M-I Carbine from under the seat. The first shots were fired nearly 50 seconds
    after Brannan returned to his vehicle despite the deputy?s commands
    Brannan ignored the repeated commands to put the gun down and Deputy Dinkheller
    apparently fired the first shot. Brannan, a Vietnam veteran, advanced firing on the deputy.
    Dinkheller returned fire, but succeeded only in breaking a window in the driver?s side of the
    pickup and wounding Brannan in the stomach. Using `suppressive fire?, Brannan
    systematically, methodically shot Dinkheller in the arms, legs, exposed areas that would not
    be covered had Dinkheller been wearing a bulletproof vest, slowly executing him. Reloading
    his weapon Brannan continued firing with the final death shot to Dinkheller?s right eye.

LESSONS LEARNED
    Gain control of the situation
    Call your partner and/or call for backup
    Maintain control of the situation
    Make verbal commands clear to the subject
    Go one level higher than your attacker
    If subject lays hands on you, take him/her down
    Use whatever tools are necessary
    Never let subject return to his/her vehicle
    Keep the subject away from the vehicle and, if necessary, go to the vehicle yourself
    Determine when lethal force is justified; then, use it if called for
    Go by the book and lean on training as safeguards against liability issues
    Develop a scenario, a plan for any given situation.
    Be mentally and physically prepared to be a professional
    The issue of liability is not worth your life
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Uh, Wow. Amazing how long that deputy let that fool hold his life on a string. I wasn't there, but I'm pretty sure he woulda been shot LOOONNG before he had a chance to bring the AK to bear.

Just me, but I woulda been more decisive to make sure I got to go home and snuggle up next to my SO's nakedness that very night.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Mindset can set you up. I tried working Corrections, just after I left EMS. Nooooo Waaaay. I would think that this officer, as described was more accustomed to talking folks getting a ticket "down", and helping change flats. I knew I wasn't nearly "kick-ass" enough to stay. Nice guys get dead. Sad, but true......

Administrator

Chris

I saw that Vid already. I really don't need to see it again.
    It's already "burned in" up in my brain.
    DITTO: You guys above who already commented.

VIP Member
    Ugh - I watched it to the point where the murderer drew his weapon, and then I stopped the video. I don't want to see the rest.

I knew of a cop who resisted using his baton to restrain an out-of-control teenager at school. The teenager was HUGE and wrestled the officer. The officer was afraid to respond with more force because of the town it happened in and the fact that the teenager was black - he was afraid the race card would be thrown and he would lose his job. The teen ended up breaking the officer's knee.

I don't know why the officer here did not respond with harsher force sooner. A large part seems to be complacency, but I wonder if part of it was the fear of legal repercussions. Good cops are always in a lose-lose situation it seems - they're "doing too much" or "doing too little," and never "just right." "Mah boy's a good boy. He wouldna shot nobody. Thems cops shouldn't have killed him."
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    I think part of it is the lack of training for officers. Also , some just can't pull the trigger. Training for PD should be 1 step higher of force than the BG is up to. hence BG has a gun, shoot em. Cops have a dangerous job , and always worry about after the fact.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    It was mentioned that this officer had been repremanded for pulling his weapon on another citizen/ suspect recently.

Even if that was the case I still can't imagine not firing immediately when the BG's weapon became visible. Apparently the magazine of the M1 carbine was empty, and was actually loaded by the BG while he stood at his driver's door with the deputy ordering him to put the weapon down.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    Apparently the magazine of the M1 carbine was empty, and was actually loaded by the BG while he stood at his driver's door with the deputy ordering him to put the weapon down.
    If that is the case, then Double Wow on my part. It was mentioned that the weapon was an AK and I just took it at that. If he watched the BG load it and took no shot, I just don't know how to respond to that.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I just don't know what to say

I didn't watch the video, from reading comments above the officer was killed by a unstable person. I believe the officer was not agressive enough for the situation or did not "read" the person he stopped. It is troublesome when good people loose their life dealing with scum.
    We may never find why the officer hesitated to draw his weapon or at least have his hand on it ready to draw. Its a shame if administrative controls get in the way, I would imagine their union will look into that aspect. I am so sorry for his family and of course for his loss of life.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

It's just plain sad.
    No comments needed.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links