A terrorist in my house

A terrorist in my house

This is a discussion on A terrorist in my house within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Midday Wednesday, I get an automated phone call from my son's high school. It was from the principal stating that a ominous email was sent ...

Thread: A terrorist in my house

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

A terrorist in my house

Midday Wednesday, I get an automated phone call from my son's high school. It was from the principal stating that a ominous email was sent from a computer at the school to 300 students and staff threatening a fire bomb. The school was not locked down, but the message said the police are investigating.

When my son comes home, I inquired about the email. He did not get one so he didn't know exactly what was in it, but the buzz was about a fire bomb, the principal and a few other things.

Later that evening my son comes to me as white as a ghost. It turns out they found the perpetrator and it was a friend of his.

Both my son and the perp are seniors. My son just recently befriended him and he was over at my house on several occasions playing computer games and eating my food. He is of Asian heritage and he was obviously taught to respect his elders. He was quite courteous and respectful to me. I actually liked him. My son has a history of picking good kids for friends, so I had no reason to suspect anything untoward in him.

From what I can gather (and I am probably not getting all the facts straight), the kid was PO'ed at the principal over a smoking incident. Apparently the boy really took umbrage at the principal and vowed revenge.

I can't believe how stupid this kid acted. He is literally 2 months from graduation. Being 18, he now faces a long jail term. I really do not know what he was thinking. He apparently has emotional issues, but this was just outright stupid.

There was good that came out of it. My son saw exactly how much trouble and how ruined a life can be by doing something illegal...I mean really illegal. (As a teenage, we all did mischief, but this was not mischief.) I think it set him a bit straighter and we had a dad/son bonding moment. He is going to be a lot more careful from now on.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Why is it that todays kids seem to think they can make terroristic threats against people and there aren't any consequences are these kids today so stupid they have no idea what kind of trouble they can get in not to mention this crap about being disrespected,if you're breaking rules or the law and get caught it ain't about disrespect you need to man up and face the consequences
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You never know what an individual might be capable of.

Nothing has appeared, so far, in the local news.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

A good bonding moment is worth it.
    Two months from graduating? Not worth it for the other kid.
    I still wouldn't question your son's judgement in choosing friends, but man did he gain a little more wisdom into the character of others.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

yeash what happened to the onld "i hate the pricipal, hey lets take apart his car move it to the roof and reassemble it" had a much better effect and no police were called(just a crane)
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Senior Moderator
    An act of stupidity by a not so bright student.

Being 18 I doubt he'll face a jail term. He'll get a sever chastising and probation,maybe wash firetrucks for awhile.

Not my definition of a "terrorist".
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Calling in a bomb threat, with no bomb = idiot, not "terrorist", IMHO.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Why is it that todays kids seem to think they can make terroristic threats against people and there aren't any consequences are these kids today so stupid they have no idea what kind of trouble they can get in not to mention this crap about being disrespected,if you're breaking rules or the law and get caught it ain't about disrespect you need to man up and face the consequences

We have raised a generation of kids that take no responsibility for their actions. Nothing is ever their fault. It's the teacher that is mean, or the neighbor that is picking on them. They're always the victim, they NEVER start the problems.

A lot of times we perpetuate the problem saying it the parent's fault, not the kid. But parents are not allowed to discipline their children the way they were disciplined as a child. If they did, Social Services would be knocking on their door and they'd be in jail for abuse. You can't even yell at a kid nowadays without being charged with emotional abuse. It's kind of funny that the people that beat the snot out of us when we were kids passed the laws saying we can't lay a hand on our kids.

We are doing a huge disservice to our children by allowing this to continue. They grow up doing whatever they want with no consequences, and then when they reach a certain age, suddenly they get blamed for their actions and end up in jail.

VIP Member
    The young man of course should not have done what he did. The incident shows a couple of things. 1) Even 18 year olds aren't as mature as we sometimes think they are. The age of majority needs to be raised perhaps to 20.

2) Things that used to be handled mostly by the school officials are now criminal matters--often without regard to the age of the kid (even 5 year olds put in cuffs). Our school officials need to re-learn how to keep control of their own house and punish childish behavior without resorting to the full weight of criminal law. School officials are there to act "in loco parentis," and what parent would call the cops on their own kid except in the most dire circumstance? Today, we see the school officials calling the cops if a kid wears a t-shirt with a firearm image * or so it seems.

3) Even though I said a couple of thoughts, here's #3.

We often see nowadays the use of the term "terroristic threats." Of course, any threat if credible will create a certain amount of terror in the intended target. I think it is wrong to use anti-terror legislation for the prosecution of ordinary stupid behavior. Terrorism is serious stuff, and the serious laws related to it need to be reserved for the real terrorists, not the stupid punk kids, or the immature goof balls. A threat to fire bomb a school by a disturbed and pissed off immature kid is not what anti-terrorism laws were designed for. They were designed with Al Quaida in mind. Different problem!
    Last edited by Hopyard; April 19th, 2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: go add one thought

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I agree with the comments that terrorist is NOT the correct term. Unfortunately, with the prevailing political correctness of today, certain words get used.

Handcuffing a 5 year old for sexual harassment for kissing a girl on the playground it a symptom of over sensitivity. We really have gone way too far.

Nothing on the news. I guess they are trying to keep this on the quite side.

I hope he does get a severe slapping on the wrist and not go to jail. We all make stupid mistakes and I am hoping this was just blowing off steam without any intent. I do not think he was actually capable of following through on the threat, still, we see a lot of this type of "bullying" in adults and I am sure this is where it starts. Nipping it in the bud when they are young, could prevent a future incident.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member

It is not a question of p.c., just precise language

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I agree with the comments that terrorist is NOT the correct term. Unfortunately, with the prevailing political correctness of today, certain words get used.
    I don't think this is an issue of p.c. or not p.c. It is misuse of language and imprecision in language usage in order to provoke a strong emotional response.

We see this all the time. Words like "rape" and "holocaust" are consistently misused for emotional effect. The same phenomenon is what is happening when immature pranks are referred to as "terroristic threats." There is emotional punch in the language, but little precision.

The danger is that it devalues the very real concern about real and serious "terroristic threats."

Similarly, misuse of the words "rape" and "holocaust" devalue their meaning and diminish in a way the real horror of the real deal.

The frequent use of the term "sexual harassment" and its application to relatively minor incidents also diminishes its meaning when applied to the real deal anti-social behaviors that constitute genuine harassment.

And exaggerated language usage also results in criminalization of relatively minor infractions or momentary lapses of judgment or control.

As I have stated here before, not every bad thing that happens is necessarily a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The young man of course should not have done what he did. The incident shows a couple of things. 1) Even 18 year olds aren't as mature as we sometimes think they are. The age of majority needs to be raised perhaps to 20.

2) Things that used to be handled mostly by the school officials are now criminal matters--often without regard to the age of the kid (even 5 year olds put in cuffs). Our school officials need to re-learn how to keep control of their own house and punish childish behavior without resorting to the full weight of criminal law. School officials are there to act "in loco parentis," and what parent would call the cops on their own kid except in the most dire circumstance? Today, we see the school officials calling the cops if a kid wears a t-shirt with a firearm image * or so it seems.

3) Even though I said a couple of thoughts, here's #3.

We often see nowadays the use of the term "terroristic threats." Of course, any threat if credible will create a certain amount of terror in the intended target. I think it is wrong to use anti-terror legislation for the prosecution of ordinary stupid behavior. Terrorism is serious stuff, and the serious laws related to it need to be reserved for the real terrorists, not the stupid punk kids, or the immature goof balls. A threat to fire bomb a school by a disturbed and pissed off immature kid is not what anti-terrorism laws were designed for. They were designed with Al Quaida in mind. Different problem!
    +1 Couldn't have said it better.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Unfortunately, the average 18-year-old male almost never thinks at all, much less actually thinks about the consequences of his actions.

As my wife often says, it's a good thing they start out as cute, cuddly babies first - if teenagers were born behaving like they do at 14 or 15, none of them would survive their first year...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by gwhall57 View Post
    Unfortunately, the average 18-year-old male almost never thinks at all, much less actually thinks about the consequences of his actions.
    They think a lot! About S*X. Several thousand times a day. Not much else.

I don't think it incident was a "Terroristic Threat". That phrase is overused and devalued as previously pointed out. Stupid, yes.

Maybe he'll be sent to Parris Island. Maybe just yelled at, but let's hope he straightens out and his folks start helping him grow up.

Personally I think everyone is taking this all too lightly. What is the colombine and west virginia episodes were taken so lightly. People saying, "oh they won't actually go through with it." I think anyone with access to the internet is capable of building some type of exploding device. It's not THAT complicated. As to whether or not he should be jailed, that is up to the justice system. But if someone threatens me, or my family, you can be certain that I want the full extent of the system thrown at them.

Links