Tables are Turned on a LEO

This is a discussion on Tables are Turned on a LEO within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; An Oregon police officer is facing a stiff fine after he was ticketed by a citizen... Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com Officer says ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tables are Turned on a LEO

An Oregon police officer is facing a stiff fine after he was ticketed by a citizen...

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Officer says in report he didn't know the law.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Pretty interesting.....

Police response......"asking an officer to find a "legal" parking space that may be a ways away from where they may be going is unreasonable".

Note, the officer wasn't responding to any call or providing any kind of assistance......he was ordering his own lunch.

If the department doesn't like the law, they should work to get it changed, just like the rest of us.

Senior Moderator
    We had a little old lady video tape one of the officers I use to work with running a stop sign one time and bring the video tape up to the station. We laughed when the Chief wrote the offending officer a warning in front of the lady.

She left statisfied, and the Chief enforced the lesson to us that we have to hold ourselves to a higher standard than other citizens.

I believe that the officer (probably the entire force) was unaware of that particular Portland Law.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

We laughed when the Chief wrote the offending officer a warning in front of the lady.

She left statisfied, and the Chief enforced the lesson to us that we have to hold ourselves to a higher standard than other citizens.
    Ok, I must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but how is writing a warning for the violation holding the department to a higher standard than other citizens? Unless of course, you routinely allow the good citizens of your community to run stop signs with no consequences as all......

Ok, sorry, I'll go back to my happy place now.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Ok, I must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but how is writing a warning for the violation holding the department to a higher standard than other citizens? Unless of course, you routinely allow the good citizens of your community to run stop signs with no consequences as all......

Ok, sorry, I'll go back to my happy place now.

He bumped (failed to come to a complete stop) the Stop sign and we routinely wrote warnings for minor moving violations if the citizen seemed to be upstanding. The little Ole lady who brought the video would have probably just got a verbal warning.

The written warning was not what upheld us to a higher standard, it was the dressing down we recieved after the lady left, that was the true punishment.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Sounds like the police force might need some retraining if both the Assistant Chief and that officer were unaware that the "Loading Zone" was in fact for loading and not parking.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    When I went to college in Boston, I always got a chuckle out of all the Boston PD cruisers that double-parked along Huntington Ave, as they went for meals at the local sub/pizza shops there.

Probably 5 years ago we passed the Senate President as he parked in front of a hydrant and ran into a package liquor store on a Saturday night. I really wished that I had a camera with me at that time!!

Laws are frequently treated as for "other people" by those in power.

I did try to abide by the MV laws when I was working as a Reserve PO, especially when in a cruiser . . . as I know that others take note of what we do/did. [Not everyone got the "speech" that I did from a college Co-Op boss when he gave me a "company car" for my work . . . I was 19 at the time and I recall him saying that "I was the company" to the customers (a utility company) when I was driving around in the company car and therefore I should obey the laws and set a good example. I followed that example in police work too.]

Hey, I respect our great country and the rule of law. But let's face it, cops don't (normally) give traffic tickets to other cops. It's one of the job's perks for a LEO, you (and your family) pretty much have complete immunity from routine traffic tickets.

Just 2 days ago, friend of mine (a correctional officer) gets pulled over for speeding as he was coming home. The state trooper saw his uniform and asked him where he worked, then apologized for stopping him and let him go on his merry way.

In all fairness, I've caught some breaks from cops too, even though I don't have a FOP badge on my license plate.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I agree that anyone in authority should hold themselves to a higher standard. It's sad that most people who are in authority do not.

I think as LEO they should want to uphold the law as well as enforce it. The chief's response just made me boil. If I got ticketed for such an offense I doubt the judge would accept the inconvenience of finding a "legal" parking spot.

I have no problem with LEO parking wherever necessary to do their jobs, when not on duty (lunches, breaks, etc.) they should at the very least have to obey the laws they enforce.

People tend to think I have a problem with LEO. I don't think that's the case, I have a problem with double standards, and abuse of authority.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

I know a lot of you would be happy to see Cops (and ambulance and fire vehicles) forced to park wherever legally like averyone else. That is, until you call for an emergency. A loved one can't breathe or has had a heart attack? Start counting the minutes until their brain is toast. It only takes a few and even ONE MORE can be the end of it. I no longer work in the field, but I say cut them some slack on parking. I AM NOT saying that they should be allowed to drive unsafely.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    OK, I'll spout off and stir the pot a little,

Although I agree that an officer should not park in fire lanes etc becaue it does look bad, and it does set a bad example, the officer did nothing illegal. An on duty, in service officer in a patrol car is exempt for the very reason the assistant chief spoke about in the video.
    I do get on the Jr. guys all the time when I see them do this for no good reason.

Also, the fire lane is there in case of a fire, so the fire dept can get there equipment in wherever they need to put it. With that said answer these questions;

Who is going to know about a fire or medical emergency first?
    Who is always on scene first anyway?
    Where would they park if an emergency was to occur?
    Who can move the car far more quickly than the average Joe being lazy?
    In the very unlikely event that the fire department needs the car moved before the officer can get to it, they will move it (I've seen them do it!) The car will be damaged... but who is paying the bill for the damaged car? *** Dont tell me the tax payers, while that is true to an extent, I dont want do give a civics and budget lesson too***
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I think the parking in question was non emergency parking. On a call I'm pretty sure they can park anywhere they want too.

And it is Portland law

Administrator
    I think the parking in question was non emergency parking. On a call I'm pretty sure they can park anywhere they want too.

And it is Portland law
    Yes... but why is it a loading/unloading zone only? Because otherwise its a fire lane.
    "Just blame Sixto"

And it is Portland law
    At what time are cops/fire/ems not subject to be called on for an emergency???

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    OK, I'll spout off and stir the pot a little,

Although I agree that an officer should not park in fire lanes etc becaue it does look bad, and it does set a bad example, the officer did nothing illegal. An on duty, in service officer in a patrol car is exempt for the very reason the assistant chief spoke about in the video.
    I do get on the Jr. guys all the time when I see them do this for no good reason.
    Or handicap spots. I HATED IT when coworkers would park in a handicap spot.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; April 22nd, 2008 at 03:46 PM.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Or handicap spots. I HATED IT when coworkers would park in a handicap spot.
    There is no excuse fo anyone who is not handicapped to park in a handicapped spot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links