Q for LEOs: DUI on a bicycle? - Page 3

Q for LEOs: DUI on a bicycle?

This is a discussion on Q for LEOs: DUI on a bicycle? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by stickybeatz This makes no sense at all. My son took a nose dive off my couch into the corner of the coffee ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Q for LEOs: DUI on a bicycle?

Quote Originally Posted by stickybeatz View Post
    This makes no sense at all. My son took a nose dive off my couch into the corner of the coffee table and just about split his head open. Now this particular couch wasn't drunk, but you can't convince me that a drunk couch is not a hazard either.
    An intoxicated operator is less likely to successfully avoid a pedestrian. I'm not sure where the confusion is.

Incidentally, I also believe that bicycles should be operated on the street. I did when I rode, and got all sorts of angry honks, curses, and even cans thrown at me. But there is no place on the sidewalk with my kids for a guy doing 25mph.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    An intoxicated operator is less likely to successfully avoid a pedestrian. I'm not sure where the confusion is.

Incidentally, I also believe that bicycles should be operated on the street. I did when I rode, and got all sorts of angry honks, curses, and even cans thrown at me. But there is no place on the sidewalk with my kids for a guy doing 25mph.
    I agree that bikes should be used on the street. My point was, a story that was not related to alcohol in the slightest was used to support why people shouldn't ride bicycles drunk. If you resort to using that sort of logic, you could prove or disprove anything you want.

Regardless, I can understand that riding a bicycle under the influence can put the operator in danger with the extremely slight possibility of endangering other people, but I still don't see this as being anything greater than public intoxication. Throwing a life away to make a buck for the city is unethical and that is all that a DUI on a bike is.

In California people riding bicycles are required to follow the same rules of the road as motorists (Stop Signs/Lights, Right of Way, etc) this also includes DUI laws.

Laws are in place to do one thing: Protect stupid people from directly hurting or killing themselves or from hurting or killing innocent people in other ways. Intoxicated bicyclist is a bad thing. Bad thing means somebody can get hurt or killed.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    I think that nonsense about bicycle helmets is absolutely ridiculous.
    Well, if you have nothing in there worth protecting, a helmet shouldn't be required.

(I'm always amazed at a Mother with no helmet on a bike with a very young child who's helmet is 10 sizes too big!)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I understand in Va, you can get a drinking in public charge on your own property if visible from a public street. Doesn't matter if you're riding a bike, or sitting in a lawn chair. It's illegal.
    As far as being drunk in public, how would a LEO know if you weren't being a hazard?
    People, if you don't get stupid, you don't have a problem.
    I would think most folks here are level headed.

Senior Moderator
    People, if you don't get stupid, you don't have a problem.
    That about sums it up.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links