Q for LEOs: DUI on a bicycle?

This is a discussion on Q for LEOs: DUI on a bicycle? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; another post got me thinking about this... What purpose does this serve other than to generate revenue and ruin lives? It seems to me that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

another post got me thinking about this...

What purpose does this serve other than to generate revenue and ruin lives? It seems to me that an appropriate reaction to finding somebody riding around on a bicycle drunk would be to say "thank you for not driving a 2000 pound car around impaired!". Maybe I'm missing something here...

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum or is inappropriate in any way. Just looking to hear the other side of the story.

also... what about roller skating? Can you get a DUI on skates?

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    From my understanding, and I am not a LEO, even walking, you can be busted for public intoxication. I've heard of passengers in cars getting cited for that. But I'm sure they were acting belligerent and deserved it.

These laws are probably on the books to give LEOs greater discretion in taking care of an unruly drunk or one acting in an unsafe manner, no matter where he is in public.

In Ohio it is pretty much any "vehicle" from bikes and canoes to 18 wheelers. A drunk on a bike could be hazardous to traffic

Hawaii actually doesn't have a public intox law, although there is still DUI/OVI.

Myself, I think it is rather senseless to give someone sippin a beer in a canoe a OVI, but thats just me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I think that nonsense about bicycle helmets is absolutely ridiculous. Pretty soon we will need steel toe shoes and hard hats when we go jogging.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Administrator
    While it is better than driving a car, the hazards a drunken bicyclist could cause is obvious.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    I think that nonsense about bicycle helmets is absolutely ridiculous. Pretty soon we will need steel toe shoes and hard hats when we go jogging.
    My wife and I are avid cyclists. Several months back she was cycling in a large group of highly experienced riders. Group was traveling in excess of 25mph when the woman in front of her grabbed her brakes (something you never do riding in that manner). My wife doesn't remember anything after that until she came to in the hospital with 20 staples in her head. The helmet manufacturer replaced the shattered helmet for free, but honestly, we'd have been happy to pay for the new one!

Steel toe shoes for jogging? Nope.....but I do take my Seecamp!

Senior Moderator
    What purpose does this serve other than to generate revenue and ruin lives?
    The same could be said for operating a vehicle while under the influence.

A bicycler riding his bike on a public highway can cause as much damage as a vehicle. I know of two wrecks in this town that were caused by cyclists.

One, a cyclist veered out into traffic to pass another cyclist causing a Ford F250to cross the center line and have a head on collision with a Mini Van. All occupants were seriously injured. Two vehicles stopped to help and both gave the same story. The cyclists never stopped to help. I worked that one.

Another cyclist caused another vehicle to swerve and miss him, causing a truck loaded with bricks to hit a ditch and flip over. The ditch was pretty deep, and located next a soft ball field. Four people were hit with flying bricks and taken to the ER. The driver spent the night in the hospital with a concussion and several stitches in his skull from flying glass.

Its stupid crap like that that people never see or think about the consequences of what could happen. All they see is a cop giving a drunk biker a ticket and they think that they are only doing it to generate revenue.

Cops get to see some pretty amazing stuff that can and does defy common logic. What shouldn't happen often does and somethings that happen seem to have a 1 in a million chance of happening...yet it happened and someone is in pain because of it.

More than likely that would be a public intox.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Depending on the situation, I would go with public intox. However, I could see that it is a legitimate DWI, since he was driving under the influence and most states do not clarify that it must be a motor vehicle.

Years ago our local town drunk drove his tractor everywhere, back then it was a loophole, no driver's license required for operation.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

When i was an LEO in 1984 we had a guy on a bike DUI that was in the left turn lane on a 2 lane each direction road the main street through town and we got a call about him,as we were approaching the intersection the idiot made a right turn across 2 lanes of traffic going 35 mph he almost got clipped,cars were braking and swerving to miss this rocket scientist as he calmly kept peddling along oblivious to the fact he almost became road kill and damn near caused a major pileup,so if you think DUI is too harsh stay home when you're drinking or take a taxi or designate a sober driver.I got no soft spot for idiots that overindulge and risk innocent lives
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by stickybeatz View Post
    In a lot of states you can as long as you are traveling in a public right of way... I dont think I'd ever try it.

I do remember a case a while back about a guy who was convicted of a DUI while riding a horse, I'll have to see if I can find that.

Ahh, here it is. I was wrong though, it was a woman.

Woman gets DUI — for horseback ride - Criminal weirdness - MSNBC.com
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Years ago our local town drunk drove his tractor everywhere, back then it was a loophole, no driver's license required for operation.
    Must be an Arizona thing. Operating ANY mode of transportation on a road or public highway, whether you have a drivers license or not and you must operate it safely.Operating anything while under the influence or in an unsafe manner is a violation.

Here, we have had cases of riding a horse while drunk. Lose control of that horse on a highway and you have a potentially bad situation. Extreme? Perhaps. Until you wake up in the morning and step in horse crap in your driveway because a drunk cowboy was asleep and his horse just wandered around.
    Stranger things have happened.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Injured Cyclist May Face DUI Charges
    In Palm Bay, Florida, police believe that a man on a bicycle who was hit by two pickup trucks may have been under the influence of alcohol when the accident happened. Todd Allen suffered severe head injuries after being dragged about 40 feet underneath one of the trucks that hit him, but is expected to survive. Local 6 News reports that DUI charges against Allen are pending.

Injured Cyclist May Face DUI Charges
    In Palm Bay, Florida, police believe that a man on a bicycle who was hit by two pickup trucks may have been under the influence of alcohol when the accident happened. Todd Allen suffered severe head injuries after being dragged about 40 feet underneath one of the trucks that hit him, but is expected to survive. Local 6 News reports that DUI charges against Allen are pending.

Saved the best for last;

Dolphin DUI
    In Kent, England, two drunken guys left a pub and tried to get a ride home from a bottlenose dolphin. No, this isn't the beginning of a bad joke, it really happened according to a Courier Mail report. Michael Jukes and Daniel Buck were arrested when they ignored the signs warning them not to bother a dolphin that had been swimming near the shore. The guys grabbed onto the dolphin and tried to take it for a ride before being caught by police and arrested.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd like to see some stats on how many people are killed each year by drunken bicyclists (aside from the Darwin Award candidates themselves). I don't see how this can be even remotely in the same league as driving a car under the influence.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by stickybeatz View Post
    I'd like to see some stats on how many people are killed each year by drunken bicyclists (aside from the Darwin Award candidates themselves). I don't see how this can be even remotely in the same league as driving a car under the influence.
    Its not... but compare the numbers of bikes and cars on the road the stats would be slightly misleading.

Did you get a DUI on a bike or something? It seems like a strange cause to take up otherwise.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links