DEA the TV show

DEA the TV show

This is a discussion on DEA the TV show within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was just watching the latest (and last as far as I am concerned) episode. The serve a warrant on a dealer's house and they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEA the TV show

VIP Member

DEA the TV show

I was just watching the latest (and last as far as I am concerned) episode. The serve a warrant on a dealer's house and they found a "MAC 10, high power machine gun." Before that we had an agent talking about the AK 47 being the "new pistol" in which the BGs load "teflon tip bullets that go through everything."

"I'm the only one in this room professional enough to carry a Glock .40"

Is it a DEA thing?

Click here and select Weapons Training
    Last edited by Miggy; April 24th, 2008 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Found the video
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Mind explaining to a noob what the issue is, exactly?

I saw the same episode, but as I'm pretty new at this (only experience with a Mac 10 was on a Matrix video game!), I didn't catch what the problem is.

"why do i souround myself with imbiciles?" mordrid(legend of king aurther)
    same applies to this show "why do they have imbiciles representing gov't agencies?"

the issue is that the "special agents" are displaying such a vast ignorance of firearms despite their "advanced training". it seems even the "manly" tv stations have gone oer to fear mongering and misinformation. its no wonder why o won't shell out the money for cable
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Distinguished Member
    An AK-47 is not a pistol. It is not even a particularly "new" weapon.

While I enjoy watching the show because it is better than cops, at least in my humble opinion, its legit-ness was gone the moment one of the agents pointed to a 9mm Hi Point carbine and called it an assault rifle.

Assault rifle? Hi point? Must have been cause of the scary black look
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev9mm View Post
    Mind explaining to a noob what the issue is, exactly?

I saw the same episode, but as I'm pretty new at this (only experience with a Mac 10 was on a Matrix video game!), I didn't catch what the problem is.
    The MAC 10 is not a "high Power Machine Gun." IIRC it comes in either 9mm or 45 cal and neither are high powered rounds. And you could not tell by what they showed if it was a fully auto version of the MAC or just a semi.
    The AK with the bullets tipped bullets is one of those urban myths. It is the original Cop Killer Bullet that could go through 8 inches of steel like it was a hot knife through butter. Mind you that no record exists that such bullets were ever used anywhere in a crime or that were available to the public in any way, shape or form, but the urban myth still remains perpetuated by antis and Hollywood.

The only reference I found about teflon was a company developing a round for LEO/Military in which the bullet was made out steel and in the shape of a cookie cutter. The idea was to achieve high penetration through cover with little deviation. The problem was that the bullet was very nasty on barrels and it would not take the contact against the rifling in a nice manner. Allegedly this company covered the rounds with teflon to reduce friction and get some bite on the rifling. The project was dropped after a while because it was too expensive and the problems with the round were not worth its production. This was in the mid 80s. Now, what I just told you is something I read somewhere and not the official version so take it with a grain of salt but it was the most credible version of all the rumors and stories that are floating around.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I like the idea that an AK47 is a 'new' firearm - I'm 62 and the AK is 61 years old. I guess that makes me nearly new!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Sometimes I hate to say it, but my first firearms instructor always said that there were two things you didn't ask a LEO about:

1) firearms
    2) the law

-JT

Administrator
    I always say if you want to know something, ask the person who does it for a living… not a T.V. show.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I thought the show was entertaining...I would laugh when they would say something, and my wife kept saying...'what?'
    come on...you have to admit, they are under some stress, and it is tv...so be entertained and enjoy just watching the guns.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

KTW

The KTW bullet did have a greenish Teflon coating. The coating had nothing to do with being AP, the cores of the ones I have seen are steel, at least they hold a magnet. That has a lot more to do with it. I started to watch that show, but have no patience for that whole style of "AKs high powered assault weapon of choice" BS.

Would a RPG penatrate a vest?

What do you expect from a 'made for the media' story?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Writers embellishing the facts .First,how can a rifle become a pistol ? Crooks may use it instead of a handgun.Say what you mean so it's not misinterpreted.
    This is how we get in trouble with the anti's because they take everything they
    hear as gospel.

They actually do make AR and AK pistols:
    Atlantic firearms - AR15 & AK47 rifles - Olympic arms at wholesale prices.

It's all in the wording of how the law sees them. Didn't watch the show, probably won't due to a lack of a television and cable.

Even people who are "supposed" to know a lot about firearms usually don't.

The MAC-10 is definately not a high powered machine gun.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links