Defensive Carry banner

So what's a day in the life of a cop like?

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  dcb188 
#1 ·
The cubicle world has been wearing hard on me the last few years. I'm still young enough and fit enough to start out in law enforcement (working out and shooting are hobbies of mine). A local suburb is starting out at decent salaries...still a lot less than my IT job, but enough the family could survive.

Is it worth it? Do you love it? Is it what you thought it would be?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

#2 ·
Investigate becoming a Reserve PO (or whatever it is called there) AFTER arranging some "ride-alongs" with local departments (do it with a number of them, all departments are NOT equal).

That should give you some flavor for whether or not the job is for you. If so, go for it!

My recommendations are a "try before you buy" approach. :wink:

#4 ·
if you have thought enough about it, I say do it....do something that is going to make you happy. if you like going to work, it will never be a job.

#6 ·
I love my job, and if you it right, you can make a nice salary. The biggest annoyance about the job is the constant second guessing by people who were not there and frankly dont know what they are talking about. Just browse through any of the LEO threads here. Everybody thinks they're an expert because the saw COPS, CSI or whatever.

Another common misconception about police work is centered around your gun. People assume the job is all about guns and shooting, its not at all. Thats about one half of a percent of what the job is about.

#7 ·
I love my job, and if you it right, you can make a nice salary. The biggest annoyance about the job is the constant second guessing by people who were not there and frankly dont know what they are talking about. Just browse through any of the LEO threads here. Everybody thinks they're an expert because the saw COPS, CSI or whatever.

Another common misconception about police work is centered around your gun. People assume the job is all about guns and shooting, its not at all. Thats about one half of a percent of what the job is about.

+1 :hand10:

#8 ·
I'll second that +1.

As to your main question:

Small, medium, or large Police Departments... Rural, urban, and combination Sheriff's Offices... The eighty or so badge and gun federal positions... There are many different "days in the life." It is almost impossible to be familiar with them all. It is also almost impossible to know about one and assume you do about the others.

Riding along, surfing LEO forums, talking with officers/deputies.agents and whatever else you can come up in in order.

#9 ·
In a small town, you're going to be doing a whole lot more (normal) driving and typing than shootouts and car chases.

You will have the occasional wrestling match. More so if you have poor interpersonal communications skills.

Regardless of how small or large the agency, you will see more human misery and depravity than you now believe possible.

#15 ·
I loved being an LEO. I miss going to the station and the brotherhood. I wouldn't change my live as an LEO for nothing. I retired only because I had so much going on in my life. It's a great thing to enjoy going to work everyday.:yup:

#16 ·
love my job, and if you it right, you can make a nice salary. The biggest annoyance about the job is the constant second guessing by people who were not there and frankly dont know what they are talking about. Just browse through any of the LEO threads here. Everybody thinks they're an expert because the saw COPS, CSI or whatever.

+ 2:35:

I'll soon be going into my 25th year in law enforcement, rural areas to big cities...working everything from patrol to undercover drugs (SE Florida in the mid 80's...fun times!!!):wink: to special operations. Now I just do admin and training stuff mostly.

Typically it's hours of boredom and mundane report writing (a lot of report writing!):rofl: punctuated by moments of excitement and occassionally sheer terror.

You'll see the worst of people (all people - husbands, wives, storeclerks, postmen, priests, accountants, other cops, your administrators and representatives) and people at their worst!

I wouldn't change my experiences for anything...but if I had it to do over again (with 20/20 hindsight) I don't know if I'd do it again (well, I would - but I'm an idiot, so don't take me doing it for anything!):ahhhhh:

Good luck!

#18 ·
No higher honor than being a police officer. As they said, (and I am very far from being a LEO), see if you can do a few ride-alongs and speak with officers, deputies, highway patrolmen, state troopers, and it does make a difference if it is big city or small town. Congratulations in advance if you decide to go into law enforcement.
A CHP friend of mine said he joined from watching Chips on Tv too much and speaking with highway patrolmen, so the exposure led him into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.