So what's a day in the life of a cop like?

This is a discussion on So what's a day in the life of a cop like? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The cubicle world has been wearing hard on me the last few years. I'm still young enough and fit enough to start out in law ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what's a day in the life of a cop like?

So what's a day in the life of a cop like?

The cubicle world has been wearing hard on me the last few years. I'm still young enough and fit enough to start out in law enforcement (working out and shooting are hobbies of mine). A local suburb is starting out at decent salaries...still a lot less than my IT job, but enough the family could survive.

Is it worth it? Do you love it? Is it what you thought it would be?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Investigate becoming a Reserve PO (or whatever it is called there) AFTER arranging some "ride-alongs" with local departments (do it with a number of them, all departments are NOT equal).

That should give you some flavor for whether or not the job is for you. If so, go for it!

My recommendations are a "try before you buy" approach.

HUGE difference between small town and city work. Check out both.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    if you have thought enough about it, I say do it....do something that is going to make you happy. if you like going to work, it will never be a job.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Investigate becoming a Reserve PO (or whatever it is called there) AFTER arranging some "ride-alongs" with local departments (do it with a number of them, all departments are NOT equal).

That should give you some flavor for whether or not the job is for you. If so, go for it!

My recommendations are a "try before you buy" approach.
    I think what LenS said is the right response
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Administrator
    I love my job, and if you it right, you can make a nice salary. The biggest annoyance about the job is the constant second guessing by people who were not there and frankly dont know what they are talking about. Just browse through any of the LEO threads here. Everybody thinks they're an expert because the saw COPS, CSI or whatever.

Another common misconception about police work is centered around your gun. People assume the job is all about guns and shooting, its not at all. Thats about one half of a percent of what the job is about.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I love my job, and if you it right, you can make a nice salary. The biggest annoyance about the job is the constant second guessing by people who were not there and frankly dont know what they are talking about. Just browse through any of the LEO threads here. Everybody thinks they're an expert because the saw COPS, CSI or whatever.

Another common misconception about police work is centered around your gun. People assume the job is all about guns and shooting, its not at all. Thats about one half of a percent of what the job is about.

+1

I'll second that +1.

As to your main question:

Small, medium, or large Police Departments... Rural, urban, and combination Sheriff's Offices... The eighty or so badge and gun federal positions... There are many different "days in the life." It is almost impossible to be familiar with them all. It is also almost impossible to know about one and assume you do about the others.

Riding along, surfing LEO forums, talking with officers/deputies.agents and whatever else you can come up in in order.
    God, country, family.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    In a small town, you're going to be doing a whole lot more (normal) driving and typing than shootouts and car chases.

You will have the occasional wrestling match. More so if you have poor interpersonal communications skills.

Regardless of how small or large the agency, you will see more human misery and depravity than you now believe possible.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post

Riding along, surfing LEO forums, talking with officers/deputies.agents and whatever else you can come up in in order.
    Careful with the LEO forums, the good ones are closed to the public, the rest have a lot of yahoo's who like to run their traps and pretend to be what they are not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    You will have the occasional wrestling match. More so if you have poor interpersonal communications skills.

Regardless of how small or large the agency, you will see more human misery and depravity than you now believe possible.

Sounds like wisdom from a seasoned officer.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Careful with the LEO forums, the good ones are closed to the public, the rest have a lot of yahoo's who like to run their traps and pretend to be what they are not.
    Isn't there one where they have a section that non-LEOs can post questions in and ONLY certified LEOs are allowed to answer? Don't recall which forum it is, but this might be of some value to the OP?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Isn't there one where they have a section that non-LEOs can post questions in and ONLY certified LEOs are allowed to answer? Don't recall which forum it is, but this might be of some value to the OP?
    yeah, I kinda remember something like that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

SIXTO,

You may be thinking of "Policeone.com" Most of the site is open to the public but there are secured sections that verified LEO only can access.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I loved being an LEO. I miss going to the station and the brotherhood. I wouldn't change my live as an LEO for nothing. I retired only because I had so much going on in my life. It's a great thing to enjoy going to work everyday.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links