Where will Degree Take ME ? - Page 2

Where will Degree Take ME ?

This is a discussion on Where will Degree Take ME ? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In my department, you could only go as high as patrol Sergeant without at least a bachelor's degree (didn't matter what in) and could not ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where will Degree Take ME ?

In my department, you could only go as high as patrol Sergeant without at least a bachelor's degree (didn't matter what in) and could not go into any type of investigative or advanced field.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

While I don't necessarily agree, many Departments and Agencies think that a college degree gives one the ability to analyze and strategize.

One thing a degree will do in many places is get you a "foot in the door" to gain an interview. What a degree shows me is, this person has the ability to learn or be taught. After that, it's up to the individual.

Biker

Ron
    I have taught law for over 25 years and over that time have had numerous LEOs in my classes, more then I can remember, from every department and agency; State troopers, deputies, police officers from various local departments, including the university police, even an FBI agent or two.

When I asked them why they were spending the time and money to get a law degree they all said it was to aid them in advancing within their departments.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

One thing a degree will do in many places is get you a "foot in the door" to gain an interview. What a degree shows me is, this person has the ability to learn or be taught. After that, it's up to the individual.

Biker
    +1

You are hitting the nail right on the head with that comment - at least from my perspective in the Corporate world. Too many LEO's that come in to interview think their police experience is all that matters. They don't realize that they will be beginning a new career that bears little to no resemblance to their LE experience. They need to show that they can learn.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I just added double minors in psycology and socialogy so hopefully this will help some.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

If you can, I would major in something not directly related to law enforcement and minor in the law enforcement stuff.

Major in Accounting with a minor in Criminal Justice or something. This way, if you don't get an LEO job, or you find you don't like it, you have a degree that will earn you money. Look at my screenname for a "hint".

I'm an LEO, but I've kept my license active. I have something to "fall back on".

Biker

Im look at working Civ or Private security or if I can manage DOD contractor. But after this Im looking at law school.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I saw someone reference DOD Agencies.

Getting hired with those groups is next to impossible unless you either have a Masters degree, have intel experience overseas (Military) and it is almost required that you speak a hard-target language of some kind (or at least prove you can learn a language). Beyond that, most will not even consider anyone just out of college because they want "life experience" - which is a legal way to say they won't hire you until you are older and more mature. The mean hire age for CIA analysts is 27. DIA won't even say. And unless you have a baseline clearance to start from, its tough to even qualify for minimum requirements.

DOD contractors are a good place to start. If you are looking for a good agency to work gov't security for, you might check out Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) based out of DC. They run the Federal Police. Otherwise, look into individual agencies for hiring out security. Some outsource and some keep it internal.

As far as other law enforcement? I'll let the other opinions speak for themselves.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    Im look at working Civ or Private security or if I can manage DOD contractor. But after this Im looking at law school.

Go for the Law School; but, your onto the right idea. The contract idea is more of a dream unless you have millions to invest in your firm. A DOD Security Officer can be interesting and offers more opportunities than you can ever imagine.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Go for the Law School; but, your onto the right idea. The contract idea is more of a dream unless you have millions to invest in your firm. A DOD Security Officer can be interesting and offers more opportunities than you can ever imagine.
    How do I or where do I start the process of being a DOD Security officer?

Administrator
    How do I or where do I start the process of being a DOD Security officer?
    military would be the best place I'd imagine, but the topic is out of my knowledge range now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

thanks sixto

I don't really know what to suggest. I guess it depends on how definite your goals are re career/employment. I loved college but absolutely and thoroughly hated law school, and I am in a minority there. Wanted to be a college professor but there were zero opportunities back then so I went to law school figuring well, this is a pretty broad field, etc so I ended up in criminal law only, and I love trial work so it is good, but only after you definitely decide what you want to do for a living should you then decide how to get there via education etc, in my opinion. There is a book called What you Can do With a Law Degree by ......Aarons? I know, I know, the title of the book calls for snide remarks :) But decide what you want to do for employment then go for it via schools.

VIP Member

Law school

All my professors ar LEO's I was considering doing the LSAT in the very near future and going to law school in fact just tossing the idea around for the time being.

I do not know if a criminal justice degree will help you get into law school. It is my understanding that the most important ingredient is the LSAT test scores and the second most important ingredient is your GPA.

Popular pre-law majors are philosophy (because of the emphasis on mathematical logic and verbal logic) and all manner of history and government courses.

My son got into law school with a degree in Studio Art and Philosophy.
    I was once told that 50% of law school students have degrees in philosophy.

I have a hunch the criminal justice undergrad degree is not a good pre-law major, but you need to check that out with the law schools and your own advisers at the college you attend.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'm working on a Spanish degree with a CJ minor. Spanish language is my version of basket weaving. I started this seeking commission, but I realize that it it not for me. I'm still a Spanish major and am trying toward a job with the police department. The city will pay for me to finish school.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links