Where will Degree Take ME ?

This is a discussion on Where will Degree Take ME ? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Trust me on this: Regardless of your major, which is not of much import in terms of gaining admittence to Law School, the other poster ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where will Degree Take ME ?

Ron
    Trust me on this: Regardless of your major, which is not of much import in terms of gaining admittence to Law School, the other poster was correct-LSAT and GPA are what count, the courses which are likely to be the most helpful to you in law school are business courses, such as accounting.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    See! I told you so way back in post number 2!
    "Just blame Sixto"

B52
    I got my BA using TA and I still haven't touched my GI bill. Have you thought about becoming a commisioned officer or going OSI. I saw you had a Security Forces Patch on your Avatar, I am guessing you are AF or prior AF. Good luck with your future!

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    yea thought about going O but the reason I got the patch is because of my family and everything I have talked to OSI and they told me come back when I get my BA and put a package in but as far as coming in as a O I am totally lost on what doors I can go thru other than ROTC because I attend courses on base and thru the net.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Congratulations on obtaining your Bachelor's Degree. Just the fact that you have a degree pretty much ensures you will earn much more $$ in your lifetime than someone with just a GED or a high school diploma.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    thanks
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

As folks already said, it is the combination of the LSAT and your GPA, that combination, that controls re admission to law school. Barron's guide has a great listing of all law schools and the good thing about it is that you can see where your LSAT and GPA "meet" on a table of scores, and it will tell you how many applied with that exact LSAT/GPA combination, and how many were accepted. So it will show where 3.2 and the LSAT score intersect and it will say in the box, 22/1022, so you know right away you should apply elsewhere.
    The thing about law schools is that you really should apply to five or six, just to be sure, and I can give you the names of the ones that are just as good as others but give people more of a break re admissions, if you PM me when you are ready.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhall57 View Post
    Congratulations on obtaining your Bachelor's Degree. Just the fact that you have a degree pretty much ensures you will earn much more $$ in your lifetime than someone with just a GED or a high school diploma.
    That depends on how smart you really are. I don't put much stock in the piece of paper that I paid for, and personally I think those who do are fools. Most of the smarter or wealthiest people I know have a high school education, and I know more people that are scraping by that have advanced degrees. It just depends on the person and field.

Don't misunderstand, an education is an important thing, I just don't think very highly of "higher" education establishments.
    "Just blame Sixto"

B52
    +1 Sixto, anyone can get a degree. A person must have the drive and the mindset to succeed. I have seen people with Masters degrees only making about $30K a year. I have also seen folks without any degrees making well over $75K and supervising the folks with the degrees.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    +1 Sixto, anyone can get a degree. A person must have the drive and the mindset to succeed. I have seen people with Masters degrees only making about $30K a year. I have also seen folks without any degrees making well over $75K and supervising the folks with the degrees.
    Before anyone gets carried away with the anomolous high school graduate earning $100,000/year and the college graduate serving coffee at Starbucks...

"The Census Bureau in 2004 calculated that the average college graduate earns $27,800 more per year, adjusted for inflation, than the average high school graduate"

And, of course, that number jumps considerably with a degree in science or engineering.

B52
    SelfDefense, I can't argue with the stats. I have my BA and am working on my MBA, but I have seen many people in the government without degrees making more and supervising those with advanced degrees. My wife has her Masters in counseling; she works for the state (Arizona) and I make more than she does just with my BA in IT Management. I have been working for the government (Military) for some time...I guess I have an advantage on her because she has to start over every time we get transferred to a new place. I am not saying don't get your degree because I believe if one has the chance to do so they would be a fool not to.

I'd recommend spending some time searching around USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site .

Most every job in the federal government may be found there. You're bound to find at least one of interest.
    God, country, family.

As a Supervisor, i will tell you this about degrees:

It all depends on the people getting them. I currently supervise about 30 people, 5 of them with advanced (masters) degrees. I only have an associates' degree. Management and Supervision are about leadership ability and the personality it takes to do it, not knowledge obtained in college (fantasy land).

You can cram all of the knowledge you want into the cleverest person in the world, but if that individual is a follower, then a follower they shall always be.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member

Right ON, with some caveats

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Before anyone gets carried away with the anomolous high school graduate earning $100,000/year and the college graduate serving coffee at Starbucks...

"The Census Bureau in 2004 calculated that the average college graduate earns $27,800 more per year, adjusted for inflation, than the average high school graduate"

And, of course, that number jumps considerably with a degree in science or engineering.
    As poster B52 wrote, I can't argue with the stats. They are what they are and they speak rather loudly.

There are lots of factors that go into economic success. Character, personality, intellect, curiosity, assertiveness, emotional maturity.

All things being equal, the guy with the education has a better chance.

But, things aren't all that equal.

Some of the folks I know who are worst off economically have advanced degrees in science fields. Mean half life for a PhD science research career is less than 10 years. The engineering folks seem to do better, at least out the gate with the BS.

Applied science fields tend to have a broader job market than pure science graduates would find (lousy grammar, you get the point anyway.)

Lots depends on where you happen to live, what employers are located there. Can you move to where the jobs are? Can you afford to attempt to start your own bizz?

A neighbor once commented, "when everyone has a PhD, the plumber will be a millionaire." Supply and demand are big factors in economic success too.

Our OP needs to concentrate on preparing for the LSAT and keeping up a high GPA if he truly wants to attend law school. With respect to supply and demand, I have read that in some states the supply of lawyers is in the range of 1:200- 1:300 of population --a bit too many for good income potential.

I offer the advice that law is not always a particularly lucrative field.
    It can be very lucrative, but there are plenty of pockets where there are too many lawyers, and the folks in the community can't afford their services--hence don't use them for the many routine things where their advice could be quite helpful.

As a field, it can also be very stressful, and the work sheer boring drudgery.

Again, everyone's situation is different and personality, emotional maturity, wisdom, congeniality, are all part of the equation of "success" in life.

(P.S. _Just so you all see where I am coming from; IANAL. My son graduated from law school and works in the field but doesn't practice.)

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Some of the folks I know who are worst off economically have advanced degrees in science fields. Mean half life for a PhD science research career is less than 10 years. The engineering folks seem to do better, at least out the gate with the BS.
    It absolutely depends on the type of degree earned. It is often the case that those with PhDs prefer an academic environment and are more comfortable as students rather than using their knowledge in a corporate world. Some go to school to learn for learning's sake. Others go to school to learn a marketable skill.

A neighbor once commented, "when everyone has a PhD, the plumber will be a millionaire." Supply and demand are big factors in economic success too.
    Sounds like your neighbor is a plumber. Seriously, you are correct in that supply and demand is the determining factor in choosing a career if you measure success by monetary gain. However, the supply of people with viable college degrees will always be far less than those without, which directly leads to the economic advantage of college graduates as the statistics demonstrate.

Our OP needs to concentrate on preparing for the LSAT and keeping up a high GPA if he truly wants to attend law school. With respect to supply and demand, I have read that in some states the supply of lawyers is in the range of 1:200- 1:300 of population --a bit too many for good income potential.
    I think the income potential of a lawyer is, in part, determined by the law school attended. A JD from Stanford law is considerably more valuable than the same from the Quinnipiac School of Law.

It is of the utmost importance to maximize grades and LSAT score to have the best chance of attending a great law school. Since the LSAT is mostly a test of logical thinking, any undergraduate program that stresses problem solving is an excellent beginning.

I highly recommend that before taking the LSAT that a potential law student should use one the test prep companies. Having access to previous LSATs is invaluable for preparation. It also provides a guide for the ultimate result so as to narrow the process of selecting schools. No reason to apply to the University of Chicago if one is going to score 155 (unless you collect rejection letters at a few hundred dollars a pop.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links