Defensive Carry banner

Where will Degree Take ME ?

3K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  XD 45 
#1 ·
I have a question I am pursing a Bachlors in the field of Crim Justice with a specilization in Homeland Security and Minor in Info Security. I am just trying to figure in what fields or agencys & companies this degree might take me and so I can possibly start to do research as my grad date is next year.

#2 ·
It will take you into debt with nothing to fall back on.

Most agencies dont care what your degree is in, so I suggest you get something you can use as a plan B. Education or accounting go nice with some C.J. backround.

#12 ·
Education is a changing area that I would recommend you 'run' from...many of today's schools make you a cop 'without' a gun...good luck!

#3 ·
At the risk of being "hooted" off the Forum, I will suggest that with your undergraduate specialization, a law degree would open up many more doors for you.

Ron

#4 ·
If you want to work in upper levels of LE, get the degree. Doesn't matter what you get it in, but it does make a huge difference in pay scale and advancement. If you don't want to walk a beat forever, get the degree.

I'm not sure if things have changed, but as of 1994, you needed a Masters degree in SOMETHING to be considered for Secret Service duty. I've a close relative that got his in Sociology/Psychology, so you can certainly diversify.

#5 ·
Your major is not relevant (I echo those above). A BA/BS will place you ahead when selection time comes for management and upper management positions. A Master's degree in anything would be even better.

#6 ·
Try to find out the kinds of positions recent graduates with your degree have been offered. If they are to your liking, then proceed with your current major. If the recent graduates have nothing to show for their 4 year degree but a deep black hole of student debt, find a different major.

College and graduate school are both overrated, except for the alternative.

I had an acquaintance who insisted that parents would be better off buying their kids a kiosk in the center of a mall than sending them to a 4 year college. While I don't agree with this view, I absolutely understand where it originates. Many degrees are valueless in the job market. Whether or not criminal justice degrees carry any real economic weight, or the diploma will be a worthless decoration on your wall, is something I can not speculate about and I do not know.

But, you can find out. You can ask the profs. You can ask the folks at whatever employment service the school might operate. You can approach places you'd like to work for in th future and ask, or ask for advice-- like, "sir, someday I'd like to have a job with your company or Agency or in this field. Do you think this degree will help or am I going in the wrong direction?" People like to help other people. If you ask nicely, someone will help you out.

#7 ·
All my professors ar LEO's I was considering doing the LSAT in the very near future and going to law school in fact just tossing the idea around for the time being.

#29 ·
Law school

I do not know if a criminal justice degree will help you get into law school. It is my understanding that the most important ingredient is the LSAT test scores and the second most important ingredient is your GPA.

Popular pre-law majors are philosophy (because of the emphasis on mathematical logic and verbal logic) and all manner of history and government courses.

My son got into law school with a degree in Studio Art and Philosophy.
I was once told that 50% of law school students have degrees in philosophy.

I have a hunch the criminal justice undergrad degree is not a good pre-law major, but you need to check that out with the law schools and your own advisers at the college you attend.

#8 ·
great advice so far, just my little .02

what ever you do, try to do it without getting to far in dept. I've heard to many stories of 65K in college dept for a 40K job. And as far as the lawyer thing....lol.... If your going to do that, make sure you make it. I've heard of 100K in college dept and no degree or passing bar. Same with M.D.

Dept free always works.

Get the degree in what you want, as long as it's not Polish sign language.

#9 ·
Well, I guess I may be qualified to answer part of this.

A degree can take you as far as you make it go, or it can take you nowhere.

All the branches of the military require a degree to be an officer, that is something that you can look into. Law School is a good gig if you make it all the way through.

A lot of defense agencies like people with degrees, and you can get a job being an analyst or something.

I turned down all the job offers I got when I graduated to do the unthinkable and enlist in the Marine Corps Infantry, but its what makes me happy.

Go to the dept. of Homeland Defense's website, they have a thing there with job listings, find what will make you happy, and can make sure you get out of debt.

#10 ·
All good advice here already.

Just wanted to wish ya good luck as I'm only a couple years out of undergrad myself.

If you aren't itching to get out into the "real" world are there any graduate/masters programs you'd be interested in? Law school is also an option. My wife went that route. Though, I think that market is pretty saturated at the moment so to get a decent job takes some legwork on your part in doing internships, making contacts, etc...

#13 ·
I'm not suggesting going into education (although it is a noble profession) I'm just saying that it is a nice degree that can go many different directions and its fairly easy to build on.

#14 ·
The Company I work for will not interview anyone who does not have a Bachelors or is retired (or very near retirement) LE.

Preference is always given to experience in investigations, with general law enforcement or security experience secondary. Your education only gets you the interview, it usually means nothing.

I'm not trying to downplay your education, it's important because you are unlikely to get interviewed without it.

As far as what fields your degree will help you with...

My Director has a BA in Criminal Justice. He worked his way up from Corporate Investigator (entry level Corporate Security Job) after ten years in LE, a good chunk of which was in Detectives.

#17 ·
While I don't necessarily agree, many Departments and Agencies think that a college degree gives one the ability to analyze and strategize.

One thing a degree will do in many places is get you a "foot in the door" to gain an interview. What a degree shows me is, this person has the ability to learn or be taught. After that, it's up to the individual.

Biker :urla9ub:

#19 ·

One thing a degree will do in many places is get you a "foot in the door" to gain an interview. What a degree shows me is, this person has the ability to learn or be taught. After that, it's up to the individual.

+1

You are hitting the nail right on the head with that comment - at least from my perspective in the Corporate world. Too many LEO's that come in to interview think their police experience is all that matters. They don't realize that they will be beginning a new career that bears little to no resemblance to their LE experience. They need to show that they can learn.

#18 ·
I have taught law for over 25 years and over that time have had numerous LEOs in my classes, more then I can remember, from every department and agency; State troopers, deputies, police officers from various local departments, including the university police, even an FBI agent or two.

When I asked them why they were spending the time and money to get a law degree they all said it was to aid them in advancing within their departments.

Ron

#21 ·
If you can, I would major in something not directly related to law enforcement and minor in the law enforcement stuff.

Major in Accounting with a minor in Criminal Justice or something. This way, if you don't get an LEO job, or you find you don't like it, you have a degree that will earn you money. Look at my screenname for a "hint". :smile:

I'm an LEO, but I've kept my license active. I have something to "fall back on".

#22 ·
Im look at working Civ or Private security or if I can manage DOD contractor. But after this Im looking at law school.

#24 ·
Go for the Law School; but, your onto the right idea. The contract idea is more of a dream unless you have millions to invest in your firm. A DOD Security Officer can be interesting and offers more opportunities than you can ever imagine.

#23 ·
I saw someone reference DOD Agencies.

Getting hired with those groups is next to impossible unless you either have a Masters degree, have intel experience overseas (Military) and it is almost required that you speak a hard-target language of some kind (or at least prove you can learn a language). Beyond that, most will not even consider anyone just out of college because they want "life experience" - which is a legal way to say they won't hire you until you are older and more mature. The mean hire age for CIA analysts is 27. DIA won't even say. And unless you have a baseline clearance to start from, its tough to even qualify for minimum requirements.

DOD contractors are a good place to start. If you are looking for a good agency to work gov't security for, you might check out Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) based out of DC. They run the Federal Police. Otherwise, look into individual agencies for hiring out security. Some outsource and some keep it internal.

As far as other law enforcement? I'll let the other opinions speak for themselves.

#28 ·
I don't really know what to suggest. I guess it depends on how definite your goals are re career/employment. I loved college but absolutely and thoroughly hated law school, and I am in a minority there. Wanted to be a college professor but there were zero opportunities back then so I went to law school figuring well, this is a pretty broad field, etc so I ended up in criminal law only, and I love trial work so it is good, but only after you definitely decide what you want to do for a living should you then decide how to get there via education etc, in my opinion. There is a book called What you Can do With a Law Degree by ......Aarons? I know, I know, the title of the book calls for snide remarks :) But decide what you want to do for employment then go for it via schools.

#30 ·
I'm working on a Spanish degree with a CJ minor. Spanish language is my version of basket weaving. I started this seeking commission, but I realize that it it not for me. I'm still a Spanish major and am trying toward a job with the police department. The city will pay for me to finish school.

#31 ·
Trust me on this: Regardless of your major, which is not of much import in terms of gaining admittence to Law School, the other poster was correct-LSAT and GPA are what count, the courses which are likely to be the most helpful to you in law school are business courses, such as accounting.

#33 ·
I got my BA using TA and I still haven't touched my GI bill. Have you thought about becoming a commisioned officer or going OSI. I saw you had a Security Forces Patch on your Avatar, I am guessing you are AF or prior AF. Good luck with your future!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.