How does an LEO go about "deputizing" a citizen?

This is a discussion on How does an LEO go about "deputizing" a citizen? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was watching the UT Austin Whitman footage on Youtube and heard reference to citizens being deputized to help, of course we have all heard this ...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Was watching the UT Austin Whitman footage on Youtube and heard reference to citizens being deputized to help, of course we have all heard this statement at times. So is this covered in the academy? Do you have to swear something or is it a simple "you're helping me" or is it an anachronism from times past, no longer in use?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

In MI, if you are directed by LE to assist, you are deputized.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Moderator
    Arkansas has some pretty clear statutes on assisting an officer.

Although none of them actually mention" deputizing" you are given all kinds of protections when asked to assist.

We even go over this in the CHL classes. The key is to make dang sure that you
    are asked to assist.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

As far as deputising people I think only A sworn Sheriff or equivalent can deputise people,When i was a City LEO I think i was sworn in by the City Clerk of the city where i worked
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator

Check This Story Out.
    You gotta love California.

LOS ANGELES A sheriff and one of his top aides deputized 86 of their friends, relatives and political contributors without checking their backgrounds, handing them limited arrest powers and guns in some cases, according to a newspaper investigation.

Orange County Sheriff Michael S. Carona (search) and former Assistant Sheriff Donald Haidl (search) named the volunteers in 1999, the year after Carona was elected, despite concerns raised by a county attorney and the state Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Training, the Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.

The background checks were completed only last year, sheriff's officials said.

Carona defended the appointments in an e-mail response to questions from the newspaper.

"Like any organization, the first group of individuals we reach out to for support and assistance is friends and family of the members of the organization," Carona wrote.

Of the 86 appointees, 29 contributed to Carona's campaigns in 1998 and 2002. Others hosted fund-raisers for Carona or his philanthropy, the Mike Carona Foundation (search).

Carona denied that the appointments were political favors.

Some had ties to Haidl, including a brother, sister, nephew and two other relatives, along with private pilots, a personal secretary and other employees of Haidl's auction company, the Times said

The commission removed the names of all the deputies from its database, meaning it no longer recognizes them as peace officers, after finding most had not completed training required by state law.

A Sheriff's Department audit determined that six were performing police duties and they were ordered to stop.
    Four who received department-issued guns returned them.

Fourteen, however, still have concealed weapons permits and 56 retain their badges and identification cards, the newspaper said.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    In MI, if you are directed by LE to assist, you are deputized.

I'm sorry to disagree; but, I've never seen this referenced in law. As a citizen, you are not required by any law that I'm aware of to help law enforcement or anyone. I would but many wouldn't. We now have the protection under the recently passed Castle Doctrine in helping others to cover us in the event of deadly force.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    I don't know at all whether an officer has the legal authority to demand that someone assist him. I do know that it is not legal to refuse a lawful order from an officer. So, if an officer suddenly told me he needed my help and I had no choice, I would assist, assuming of course that he wouldn't be asking me to do something unlawful.

I'd be darn sure though that he was uniformed, clearly not an impostor, and that I could be certain of his authenticity. A quick look around for the black and white would help confirm i.d.

Back in 1923 (seriously) my dad was a young man. He was driving in Brooklyn when a cop jumped onto his running board and ordered him to give chase to a suspect. So, I'm guessing they can demand assistance--at least in NY--back in 1923.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I'm sorry to disagree; but, I've never seen this referenced in law. As a citizen, you are not required by any law that I'm aware of to help law enforcement or anyone. I would but many wouldn't. We now have the protection under the recently passed Castle Doctrine in helping others to cover us in the event of deadly force.
    According to the ADA of Houghton County you are required to help LE at their direction if physically able to due so. Also, if directed to take any action by LE, you are a deputized citizen under the cover of law and are treated as a police officer. You are also insured under the police department's policy should anything happen.

I was told to assist in the apprehension of a suspect fleeing officers. I did so, ran the suspect down. He took a swing at me, my fist was injured in the process of apprehending the suspect. The officers asked me for my account of the events. When they were told he took a swing at me, they added a charge of assaulting an officer and he got a year added to his sentence on top of the B&E and fleeing an officer charges.

My source for this information in my personal experience as above and the direct words from the ADA of Houghton County in a discussion after this incident. I dont' know if it is common law or if it is in the statutes, but I'm going by what the ADA said and what transpired.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Check This Story Out.
    You gotta love California.

LOS ANGELES A sheriff and one of his top aides deputized 86 of their friends, relatives and political contributors without checking their backgrounds, handing them limited arrest powers and guns in some cases, according to a newspaper investigation.

Orange County Sheriff Michael S. Carona ......

Fourteen, however, still have concealed weapons permits and 56 retain their badges and identification cards, the newspaper said.
    Curious. An old Sheriff in my parts handed out badges as favors in lieu of CCWs. If they have a badge and ID, isn't that automatically a CCW?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I believe CA carry permits are a matter of public record, so if an official who is on record as being very tight with permits suddenly issues a load of them to political contributors who all happen to be wealthy white males over the age of 50 while denying everyone else's application, its going to look kinda...

Discriminatory?
    Racist?
    Unethical?
    Dishonest?

However, if he happens to make certain upstanding, well known members of the community deputy sheriffs...well.

That's different.

Its a piece of political candy, and a dam tasty one. A sheriff's badge can do wonders for DUI's, domestic cases and other incidents, especially if the responding officer knows why you got that badge, and that he doesn't have union protection for his job.

Links