NFL Draft Rant (Military Related)

This is a discussion on NFL Draft Rant (Military Related) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Dallas Cowboys waited 6 years for Roger Starbach. This is screwed up. Make 'em serve AFS...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL Draft Rant (Military Related)

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    The Dallas Cowboys waited 6 years for Roger Starbach.

This is screwed up.
    Make 'em serve

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I guess the Army thinks that they will get X new recruits for one 2LT. This isn't the first time the Army has done this, and I'm not sure I agree.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I believe one can spend 2 years at the Academy and disenroll with no commitment or pay back.

Rick
    True statement, Rick.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
    ...but a different point of view might be that the Army is making out pretty well here.

An active NFL football player recruiting for the Army in the off-season is a pretty nice piece of Public Relations - those dudes are seriously high profile. I think the Army is taking a bigger picture view of it as opposed to the individual view - they're asking "How can this soldier best serve the Army, make the biggest impact, and give us some much needed PR?". The answer could be that if he recruites 6, 7, 15, or whatever new recruits, you could argue that his impact is bigger than if he's driving a tank (or whatever, pick your MOS).

Just another way to look at it.

Plan B
    Bingo!
    This young man is a tool, like all military men. The Army is not cutting a jock a break; they are doing what is best for the Army and nothing more.

The Army is a business, period. During times of war (with no draft), recruiting is a tough sell, they are looking for any angle to sell their product. That’s why they lied about how ex-nfl star Pat Tillman died, again sealing the product.

Like it or not, the Army knows what its doing.

BTW, the Navy let David Robinson (nba) out of his active duty contract early for the same reason.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I will have to agree with the Captain on this one, he should either have to pay back the tuition we the taxpayers paid for, or wait his turn like Roger Staubach did and serve his country first. I believe the latter option will get more recruits than simply letting him out of his obligation to serve and go play football. OMO.

I have all the respect in the world for Roger Staubach and what he did. But I don't think he is the right comparison here. There was a draft when Roger served. Recruiting is an entirely different animal now. The Army has thousands of 2Lts. Apparently they think the best use of one of them is to have him try the NFL.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    I have all the respect in the world for Roger Staubach and what he did. But I don't think he is the right comparison here. There was a draft when Roger served. Recruiting is an entirely different animal now. The Army has thousands of 2Lts. Apparently they think the best use of one of them is to have him try the NFL.
    As opposed to requiring him to honor the contract he signed with the U.S. Army?

Sorry, I hate to be redundant, but this whole deal ticks me off. He gets a free tax payer funded education, an Engineering Degree that he can fall back on after his NFL career is over, and a release from his service obligation, all because he's a jock?

It's a sweet deal for him, but not the American public.

Here's another viewpoint, from the Guardian (UK):

Lawrence Donegan: The upside-down world where a draft gets a soldier out of war | Sport | The Guardian
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; May 1st, 2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Add link.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    What happens when he blows out a knee in his first pre-season game? NFL drops him, he is no longer fit for military duty, we have paid thousands of dollars to educate him and got nothing in return. Let him serve his time then play football!!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    As opposed to requiring him to honor the contract he signed with the U.S. Army?

Sorry, I hate to be redundant, but this whole deal ticks me off. He gets a free tax payer funded education, an Engineering Degree that he can fall back on after his NFL career is over, and a release from his service obligation, all because he's a jock?

It's a sweet deal for him, but not the American public.

Here's another viewpoint, from the Guardian (UK):

Lawrence Donegan: The upside-down world where a draft gets a soldier out of war | Sport | The Guardian
    I guess you got your wish...kinda...instead of serving 8 total, he only has to serve 2 years (from the article)

Army grad won't get NFL shot after policy change - NFL - SI.com

Rick

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Someone made a choice: NCAA Division I athletics or something else.

With that choice came a compromise, 'cause they couldn't do the NCAA Div. I athletics AND do the 4 or 5 (or whatever it was) year active-duty service committment.

End of story.

Right? Wrong? I dunno. Just the way it is. If we don't like it, I guess we can call our congressmen (uh...sorry..."congresspersons", I mean).

Someone decided athletic glory was worth more than...I don't know...., maybe "integrity"?

I was the recipient of athletic largesse many years ago, so I don't judge too harshly.

I can see both sides of it. On a stricltly "principle" basis, it isn't right.

But principle does, whether we like it or not, yield to expedience now and again.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Chad Hennings also finished out his service in the Air Force before playing for the Cowboys.

The guy should serve his time as agreed upon when he took the scholarship, no two ways about it. Or he should have taken his butt to a "regular" college and played ball.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    Are we, as taxpayers, getting our money's worth?
    NO...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    NO...
    Wait a minute... there have been several people like this, Elvis was one too. The Marines did it with that guy who was on American Idol recently. The military decided that they were more productive and useful in other ways besides being a grunt. This guy has the potential to be a great recruitment tool.

As for the tax thing, I'm sure his taxable income earned in the NFL will more than cover that tab.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I have to chuckle...it will take him anywhere from 8 months to a year to get trained in whatever career field and additional add on's (butter bar immersion, jump school etc), ...count travel time, leave, holidays...I hope the Army even see's one year out of him before he can exit active duty.

I also think it is a bit disengenuous to change the rules just as he was beginning to start football drills.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Wait a minute... there have been several people like this, Elvis was one too. The Marines did it with that guy who was on American Idol recently. The military decided that they were more productive and useful in other ways besides being a grunt. This guy has the potential to be a great recruitment tool.

As for the tax thing, I'm sure his taxable income earned in the NFL will more than cover that tab.
    +1 (see my earlier post)
    I'm not sure why there is so much anger on this thread. The Army isn't in the business of doing jocks a favor, they are in the business of doing what is best for the Army.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links