NFL Draft Rant (Military Related)

This is a discussion on NFL Draft Rant (Military Related) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Elvis was one too. After basic and AIT, Elvis Presley served the rest of his 2 years in Germany in an ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NFL Draft Rant (Military Related)

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Elvis was one too.
    After basic and AIT, Elvis Presley served the rest of his 2 years in Germany in an Armored unit, as a regular soldier.

He did make SGT E-5, but it was not uncommon for draftees to make that rank.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    After basic and AIT, Elvis Presley served the rest of his 2 years in Germany in an Armored unit, as a regular soldier.

He did make SGT E-5, but it was not uncommon for draftees to make that rank.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember seeing a documentary that he was in fact in Germany assigned to an armored unit, but his main job was to entertain to help keep moral high.

Its not worth debating, its just what I saw on t.v.
    "Just blame Sixto"

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember seeing a documentary that he was in fact in Germany assigned to an armored unit, but his main job was to entertain to help keep moral high.

Its not worth debating, its just what I saw on t.v.
    Not debating at all, bud.

I had a good friend in high school whose brother went thru basic training with Elvis at Fort Hood, TX and was with him in Germany in the 3rd Armored Division. I remember him coming home on leave and showing us his photo album and autographed pics. He said that Elvis was just one of the guys.

There was an EM club at Fort Hood, named Fiddler's Green (might still be there for all I know; it was there in 1962 when I was at Fort Hood) that Elvis donated the money to build.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Administrator
    Its a shame Elvis ended up the way he did, he could have been even more of an American icon than he is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

1943 - 2009
    Those fried banana and peanut butter sandwiches probably didn't help, either...

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Lead Moderator
    I've been watching the NFL draft on ESPN, and an interview with a West Point football player. If he is drafted & signs a contract, or signs a free agent contract, his service obligation after graduation is only two years, and he can do that in the off season, as a recruiter.

Not a bad deal to go along with his taxpayer funded 4 year education.

The other services don't do this, only the Army.

I can remember when the service academies didn't offer athletic scholarships or recruit athletes.
    Well your prayers have been answered! I just heard on the news the Army has changed it's mind and the regulation. He will now be serving two years active duty starting immediately. I didn't hear anything about any extra duty after the initial two years.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Well your prayers have been answered!
    Someone on this thread must have snitched.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

...Roger Staubach had a distinguished career in the NFL after graduation from the Naval Academy, but only after he served 5 years on active duty.
    And Michael Vick may come back to the NFL after prison too! Maybe not at QB but I suspect he'll be back. Bottom line, is Vick didn't get to do his prison time after his NFL career was over!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

As far as I'm concerned, if the boy wants to play football, he needs to repay his education to the taxpayers and call it even.

If he wanted a free education and play in the NFL he should have taken a scholarship from another university and not a military academy.

JMHO
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I am sure the Army was going to use him to all his worth as a recruitment tool. Whether or not he should have had to repay his education, I am kinda torn on that one. His taxes playing for an NFL team would more than cover that cost.

I am not sure the Army gets all it pays for with many of the people that go through West Point, or even basic training for that matter. There are after all duds in every graduating class.

I am not into football, so this really doesn't bother me either way. But it does seem kind of odd that the Army would tell him one thing and then when his season is about to begin, change their mind.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Well your prayers have been answered! I just heard on the news the Army has changed it's mind and the regulation. He will now be serving two years active duty starting immediately. I didn't hear anything about any extra duty after the initial two years.
    Now I have for the Doggy Corps on the new policy.

All,
    Sorry I'm late ringing in on this, but I sort of feel uniquely suited to reply to this.

As a West Point Graduate (2000), I feel that his classmates would have fully supported him in trying to go for the NFL. We all know why we are there, but to see someone you had class with and knew go to the NFL would have been a huge boost to morale.

I understand why you are all upset (those of you who are), but ultimately, its probably better for the graduating class than if he served.

Just my opinion, you know how far that goes.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Last time I heard he was going to be a recruiter.This probably would be using
    his talents wisely as he might attract a good number of recruits.If I remember the story correctly the military was the one that changed their mind after they told him he could play ball either way it 's not right!

in reading the article previously linked - it is apparent that the Army was overruled by DOD regulations - and was therefore required to change its regulation to comply...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links