Defensive Carry banner

NFL Draft Rant (Military Related)

3K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  MR D 
#1 ·
I've been watching the NFL draft on ESPN, and an interview with a West Point football player. If he is drafted & signs a contract, or signs a free agent contract, his service obligation after graduation is only two years, and he can do that in the off season, as a recruiter.

Not a bad deal to go along with his taxpayer funded 4 year education.

The other services don't do this, only the Army.

I can remember when the service academies didn't offer athletic scholarships or recruit athletes.

#3 ·
Kind of reminds me of some of the Guard and Reservist I dealt with during Dessert Storm. Whining and crying because of lost wages and being away from their familys. Saying "I only joined the Guard/Reserves for the educational benefits!" I didn't endear myself to them when I told them to quite whining, they were getting an education right then, just not the kind they expected!

#4 ·
He didn't get an athletic scholarship. He earned a full "normal"
West Point scholarship. It turned out he has the athletic ability to possibly play in the NFL. I'm sure he could have gone to some other school on an athletic scholarship if he had wanted.

I agree 100% with the idea that he can be a very positive influence on recruiting. Also, if you watched the piece you heard how he had helped improved morale among some of our troops. The officer leading one unit in Iraq wrote an email pointing out how he had probably saved lives due to improved morale. The Army is a huge organization and there are lots of ways to contribute. I've got no problem with what the Army is doing.

#5 ·
BS. The normal service obligation after graduation is 5 years. So why does this guy get a break because he's a jock? Your taxes, and mine, are paying for his degree, not to mention the branch of service school (Infantry, Armor, etc.,) he must attend after being commissioned.

Are we, as taxpayers, getting our money's worth? I submit we are not.

It used to be that admission to the service academies was based on academic achievements, not athletic prowess, but when the academies discovered they couldn't compete with the big NCAA schools on the playing fields, they began recruiting athletes. A step backwards, IMO. West Point's job is to train warriors, not athletes.

The services already have recruiters. Sorry, but as a former soldier, I have a big problem with this.

Roger Staubach had a distinguished career in the NFL after graduation from the Naval Academy, but only after he served 5 years on active duty.

#6 ·
I get the downside being pointed out here (a perceived double standard), but a different point of view might be that the Army is making out pretty well here.

An active NFL football player recruiting for the Army in the off-season is a pretty nice piece of Public Relations - those dudes are seriously high profile. I think the Army is taking a bigger picture view of it as opposed to the individual view - they're asking "How can this soldier best serve the Army, make the biggest impact, and give us some much needed PR?". The answer could be that if he recruites 6, 7, 15, or whatever new recruits, you could argue that his impact is bigger than if he's driving a tank (or whatever, pick your MOS).

Just another way to look at it.

Plan B

#19 ·
...but a different point of view might be that the Army is making out pretty well here.

An active NFL football player recruiting for the Army in the off-season is a pretty nice piece of Public Relations - those dudes are seriously high profile. I think the Army is taking a bigger picture view of it as opposed to the individual view - they're asking "How can this soldier best serve the Army, make the biggest impact, and give us some much needed PR?". The answer could be that if he recruites 6, 7, 15, or whatever new recruits, you could argue that his impact is bigger than if he's driving a tank (or whatever, pick your MOS).

Just another way to look at it.

Plan B
Bingo!
This young man is a tool, like all military men. The Army is not cutting a jock a break; they are doing what is best for the Army and nothing more.

The Army is a business, period. During times of war (with no draft), recruiting is a tough sell, they are looking for any angle to sell their product. That’s why they lied about how ex-nfl star Pat Tillman died, again sealing the product.

Like it or not, the Army knows what its doing.

BTW, the Navy let David Robinson (nba) out of his active duty contract early for the same reason.

#7 ·
I have to go with Captain Crunch on this one - I get tired of the preferential treatment that many are crying for because they are athletes..

they signed a contract- they have benefited from the contract - the Army should NOT be making special deals for people who are going to change their minds whenever they like...

it's like I told this gal at the VA a couple of weeks ago - I'd go again - now

she was surprised - she's like "you know there is a war going on?" I'm like yeah - I trained for that - where do I sign up? (too old) I said my only question is as part of the unorganized militia - can I bring my own rifle?...

:sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep:

#9 ·
No surprise that there are two sets of opinions to this issue. But, contrary to what seems to be an opinon here, Caleb didn't ask for special treatment. The Army put this policy in place without regard to him or some other individual. I cannot even begin to take the position that this fine young man belongs in the same category as the spoiled athletes that most of us are sick of.

Also,regarding special treatment to recruit athletes. Yes, they do get a little break. Three years ago the average SAT at Annapolis was 1375. The average of the football team was 1325. I don't think that is exactly walking away from a commitment to academic achievement.

If he does not make the team, it is clear that Caleb fully intends to serve out his time in whatever MOS he would normally work.

Difference of opinion, but I think this is good value for our tax dollars.

#10 ·
Roger Staubach had a distinguished career in the NFL after graduation from the Naval Academy, but only after he served 5 years on active duty.
One would be hard pressed to find a finer gentleman and Quarterback when he was in his "prime". From what I hear, he is still a fine gentleman.

To me he represent what a "Warrior Athelte" should aspire to be.

Biker :urla9ub:

#11 ·
David Robinson is another good example.

I can see both sides of coin on this issue, too. The recruiting/PR side of things can't be written off. We are in the era of the all-volunteer, professional military. The bottom-line value of a high-profile recruiting resource can potentially make a much greater impact than an individual 2nd LT. Pretty cheap advertising.

#12 ·
I believe there is a bit more to add in hopes of clarity. If I am not mistaken...it is serve 2 years Active, then 6 more years in the Reserves as a recruiter...for a total of 8 years service.

As for academic standards...reminds me of the quote...what do you call someone that graduates last in their medical class?...Doctor. I can guarantee the academic standards to graduate from the Academies do not differentiate whether one is an athlete...unlike other universities.

Rick

#13 ·
I believe there is a bit more to add in hopes of clarity. If I am not mistaken...it is serve 2 years Active, then 6 more years in the Reserves as a recruiter...for a total of 8 years service.
As for academic standards...reminds me of the quote...what do you call someone that graduates last in their medical class?...Doctor. I can guarantee the academic standards to graduate from the Academies do not differentiate whether one is an athlete...unlike other universities.

Rick
Not true, Rick.

You must serve at least five years of active duty and three years in a Reserve Component, a total of eight years, after you graduate. The active duty obligation is the nation's return on a West Point graduate's fully-funded, four-year college education that is valued in excess of $225,000.
USMA Admissions: FAQs: About West Point

So if Caleb wants to re-pay the U.S. Treasury for the cost of his free 4 year education, as a taxpayer, I'll release him from his obligation.

#20 ·
I will have to agree with the Captain on this one, he should either have to pay back the tuition we the taxpayers paid for, or wait his turn like Roger Staubach did and serve his country first. I believe the latter option will get more recruits than simply letting him out of his obligation to serve and go play football. OMO.

#21 ·
I have all the respect in the world for Roger Staubach and what he did. But I don't think he is the right comparison here. There was a draft when Roger served. Recruiting is an entirely different animal now. The Army has thousands of 2Lts. Apparently they think the best use of one of them is to have him try the NFL.

#22 · (Edited)
I have all the respect in the world for Roger Staubach and what he did. But I don't think he is the right comparison here. There was a draft when Roger served. Recruiting is an entirely different animal now. The Army has thousands of 2Lts. Apparently they think the best use of one of them is to have him try the NFL.
As opposed to requiring him to honor the contract he signed with the U.S. Army?

Sorry, I hate to be redundant, but this whole deal ticks me off.:mad: He gets a free tax payer funded education, an Engineering Degree that he can fall back on after his NFL career is over, and a release from his service obligation, all because he's a jock?

It's a sweet deal for him, but not the American public.

Here's another viewpoint, from the Guardian (UK):

Lawrence Donegan: The upside-down world where a draft gets a soldier out of war | Sport | The Guardian

#23 ·
What happens when he blows out a knee in his first pre-season game? NFL drops him, he is no longer fit for military duty, we have paid thousands of dollars to educate him and got nothing in return. Let him serve his time then play football!!

#25 ·
Someone made a choice: NCAA Division I athletics or something else.

With that choice came a compromise, 'cause they couldn't do the NCAA Div. I athletics AND do the 4 or 5 (or whatever it was) year active-duty service committment.

End of story.

Right? Wrong? I dunno. Just the way it is. If we don't like it, I guess we can call our congressmen (uh...sorry..."congresspersons", I mean).

Someone decided athletic glory was worth more than...I don't know...., maybe "integrity"?

I was the recipient of athletic largesse many years ago, so I don't judge too harshly.

I can see both sides of it. On a stricltly "principle" basis, it isn't right.

But principle does, whether we like it or not, yield to expedience now and again.

#26 ·
Chad Hennings also finished out his service in the Air Force before playing for the Cowboys.

The guy should serve his time as agreed upon when he took the scholarship, no two ways about it. Or he should have taken his butt to a "regular" college and played ball.

#28 ·
Wait a minute... there have been several people like this, Elvis was one too. The Marines did it with that guy who was on American Idol recently. The military decided that they were more productive and useful in other ways besides being a grunt. This guy has the potential to be a great recruitment tool.

As for the tax thing, I'm sure his taxable income earned in the NFL will more than cover that tab.

#29 ·
I have to chuckle...it will take him anywhere from 8 months to a year to get trained in whatever career field and additional add on's (butter bar immersion, jump school etc), ...count travel time, leave, holidays...I hope the Army even see's one year out of him before he can exit active duty.

I also think it is a bit disengenuous to change the rules just as he was beginning to start football drills.

Rick

#35 ·
Those fried banana and peanut butter sandwiches probably didn't help, either...:wink:

#36 ·
Well your prayers have been answered! I just heard on the news the Army has changed it's mind and the regulation. He will now be serving two years active duty starting immediately. I didn't hear anything about any extra duty after the initial two years.

#39 ·
As far as I'm concerned, if the boy wants to play football, he needs to repay his education to the taxpayers and call it even.

If he wanted a free education and play in the NFL he should have taken a scholarship from another university and not a military academy.

JMHO

#40 ·
I am sure the Army was going to use him to all his worth as a recruitment tool. Whether or not he should have had to repay his education, I am kinda torn on that one. His taxes playing for an NFL team would more than cover that cost.

I am not sure the Army gets all it pays for with many of the people that go through West Point, or even basic training for that matter. There are after all duds in every graduating class.

I am not into football, so this really doesn't bother me either way. But it does seem kind of odd that the Army would tell him one thing and then when his season is about to begin, change their mind.

#42 ·
All,
Sorry I'm late ringing in on this, but I sort of feel uniquely suited to reply to this.

As a West Point Graduate (2000), I feel that his classmates would have fully supported him in trying to go for the NFL. We all know why we are there, but to see someone you had class with and knew go to the NFL would have been a huge boost to morale.

I understand why you are all upset (those of you who are), but ultimately, its probably better for the graduating class than if he served.

Just my opinion, you know how far that goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.