NFL Draft Rant (Military Related)

This is a discussion on NFL Draft Rant (Military Related) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been watching the NFL draft on ESPN, and an interview with a West Point football player. If he is drafted & signs a contract, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL Draft Rant (Military Related)

1943 - 2009

Thumbs down NFL Draft Rant (Military Related)

I've been watching the NFL draft on ESPN, and an interview with a West Point football player. If he is drafted & signs a contract, or signs a free agent contract, his service obligation after graduation is only two years, and he can do that in the off season, as a recruiter.

Not a bad deal to go along with his taxpayer funded 4 year education.

The other services don't do this, only the Army.

I can remember when the service academies didn't offer athletic scholarships or recruit athletes.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Kind of like buying out your army contract if you win the lottery I guess.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Kind of reminds me of some of the Guard and Reservist I dealt with during Dessert Storm. Whining and crying because of lost wages and being away from their familys. Saying "I only joined the Guard/Reserves for the educational benefits!" I didn't endear myself to them when I told them to quite whining, they were getting an education right then, just not the kind they expected!

He didn't get an athletic scholarship. He earned a full "normal"
    West Point scholarship. It turned out he has the athletic ability to possibly play in the NFL. I'm sure he could have gone to some other school on an athletic scholarship if he had wanted.

I agree 100% with the idea that he can be a very positive influence on recruiting. Also, if you watched the piece you heard how he had helped improved morale among some of our troops. The officer leading one unit in Iraq wrote an email pointing out how he had probably saved lives due to improved morale. The Army is a huge organization and there are lots of ways to contribute. I've got no problem with what the Army is doing.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    He didn't get an athletic scholarship. He earned a full "normal"
    West Point scholarship. It turned out he has the athletic ability to possibly play in the NFL. I'm sure he could have gone to some other school on an athletic scholarship if he had wanted.

I agree 100% with the idea that he can be a very positive influence on recruiting. Also, if you watched the piece you heard how he had helped improved morale among some of our troops. The officer leading one unit in Iraq wrote an email pointing out how he had probably saved lives due to improved morale. The Army is a huge organization and there are lots of ways to contribute. I've got no problem with what the Army is doing.

BS. The normal service obligation after graduation is 5 years. So why does this guy get a break because he's a jock? Your taxes, and mine, are paying for his degree, not to mention the branch of service school (Infantry, Armor, etc.,) he must attend after being commissioned.

Are we, as taxpayers, getting our money's worth? I submit we are not.

It used to be that admission to the service academies was based on academic achievements, not athletic prowess, but when the academies discovered they couldn't compete with the big NCAA schools on the playing fields, they began recruiting athletes. A step backwards, IMO. West Point's job is to train warriors, not athletes.

The services already have recruiters. Sorry, but as a former soldier, I have a big problem with this.

Roger Staubach had a distinguished career in the NFL after graduation from the Naval Academy, but only after he served 5 years on active duty.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I get the downside being pointed out here (a perceived double standard), but a different point of view might be that the Army is making out pretty well here.

An active NFL football player recruiting for the Army in the off-season is a pretty nice piece of Public Relations - those dudes are seriously high profile. I think the Army is taking a bigger picture view of it as opposed to the individual view - they're asking "How can this soldier best serve the Army, make the biggest impact, and give us some much needed PR?". The answer could be that if he recruites 6, 7, 15, or whatever new recruits, you could argue that his impact is bigger than if he's driving a tank (or whatever, pick your MOS).

Just another way to look at it.

Plan B

I have to go with Captain Crunch on this one - I get tired of the preferential treatment that many are crying for because they are athletes..

they signed a contract- they have benefited from the contract - the Army should NOT be making special deals for people who are going to change their minds whenever they like...

it's like I told this gal at the VA a couple of weeks ago - I'd go again - now

she was surprised - she's like "you know there is a war going on?" I'm like yeah - I trained for that - where do I sign up? (too old) I said my only question is as part of the unorganized militia - can I bring my own rifle?...

Sorry, but I believe that he owes us for his education and should serve active duty the full time. Remember what Pat Tillman gave up.
    Last edited by rocky; April 28th, 2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: comment not needed
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

No surprise that there are two sets of opinions to this issue. But, contrary to what seems to be an opinon here, Caleb didn't ask for special treatment. The Army put this policy in place without regard to him or some other individual. I cannot even begin to take the position that this fine young man belongs in the same category as the spoiled athletes that most of us are sick of.

Also,regarding special treatment to recruit athletes. Yes, they do get a little break. Three years ago the average SAT at Annapolis was 1375. The average of the football team was 1325. I don't think that is exactly walking away from a commitment to academic achievement.

If he does not make the team, it is clear that Caleb fully intends to serve out his time in whatever MOS he would normally work.

Difference of opinion, but I think this is good value for our tax dollars.

Roger Staubach had a distinguished career in the NFL after graduation from the Naval Academy, but only after he served 5 years on active duty.

One would be hard pressed to find a finer gentleman and Quarterback when he was in his "prime". From what I hear, he is still a fine gentleman.

To me he represent what a "Warrior Athelte" should aspire to be.

Biker

David Robinson is another good example.

I can see both sides of coin on this issue, too. The recruiting/PR side of things can't be written off. We are in the era of the all-volunteer, professional military. The bottom-line value of a high-profile recruiting resource can potentially make a much greater impact than an individual 2nd LT. Pretty cheap advertising.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I believe there is a bit more to add in hopes of clarity. If I am not mistaken...it is serve 2 years Active, then 6 more years in the Reserves as a recruiter...for a total of 8 years service.

As for academic standards...reminds me of the quote...what do you call someone that graduates last in their medical class?...Doctor. I can guarantee the academic standards to graduate from the Academies do not differentiate whether one is an athlete...unlike other universities.

Rick

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I believe there is a bit more to add in hopes of clarity. If I am not mistaken...it is serve 2 years Active, then 6 more years in the Reserves as a recruiter...for a total of 8 years service.
    As for academic standards...reminds me of the quote...what do you call someone that graduates last in their medical class?...Doctor. I can guarantee the academic standards to graduate from the Academies do not differentiate whether one is an athlete...unlike other universities.

Rick
    Not true, Rick.

You must serve at least five years of active duty and three years in a Reserve Component, a total of eight years, after you graduate. The active duty obligation is the nation's return on a West Point graduate's fully-funded, four-year college education that is valued in excess of $225,000.
    USMA Admissions: FAQs: About West Point

So if Caleb wants to re-pay the U.S. Treasury for the cost of his free 4 year education, as a taxpayer, I'll release him from his obligation.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Are you clarifying his deal, or the general one offered to everyone else? If it's the general one, I don't know about the Army's policies but I have some old information from the Marines and the Navy.

When I was offered the 4 year scholarships from the Navy and the Marines, the obligation was ROTC throughout college, 4 years active duty, and 4 years in the reserves. These were nice full-ride scholarships, and I was really upset that I couldn't pass the physical with my scoliosis and bad knees. Upset doesn't even begin to cover how I felt. I ended up being refused entry to the military in any capacity, which hurt more than losing the scholarship, and worked my way through college.

I also had a 2 year scholarship from the Navy was offered to study nuclear technology, and the obligation for that was 4 years active submarine duty. But the same rules applied, and I missed out on this one too.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    USMA Admissions: FAQs: About West Point

So if Caleb wants to re-pay the U.S. Treasury for the cost of his free 4 year education, as a taxpayer, I'll release him from his obligation.

My bad Terry...I meant to say that a drafted athlete still serves 8 years...the difference is instead of 5 active, it is 2, with 6 years versus 3 on Reserve status. Since he is still serving 8 years total and can be called to active duty anytime as so many Reservists now...I see it as a little give and take.

By the way...only 10 Academy grads have ever been drafted. And I have seen so many none athlete Academy and ROTC scholarships released it makes ones head spin (I believe one can spend 2 years at the Academy and disenroll with no commitment or pay back). But of course, one doesn't want to forget all the government grants/loans that were forgiven for those not even serving...and so it goes.

Previous draftees not only served with honor, they also represented their respective service with honor. I suspect over 95% of the nation has never served...so my best wishes in his service to our country.

Rick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links