American Veteran of Iraq War RELEASED FROM Mexican Prison

This is a discussion on American Veteran of Iraq War RELEASED FROM Mexican Prison within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Why do they include the fact that he is a veteran in this story? I fail to see how including the fact that he is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: American Veteran of Iraq War RELEASED FROM Mexican Prison

Why do they include the fact that he is a veteran in this story? I fail to see how including the fact that he is a veteran has any affect on the story other than attempt to grab the readers attention using the headline. This ia a very straightforward, simple story. He transported a weapon across the border. Getting lost and being forced to cross the border is a bs excuse. I have crossed the border numerous times, there are lots of places to turn around. What kind of person parks his car and then leaves the car sitting in a parking lot with an ar-15 and a handgun in it while he crosses the border to have breakfast (that was his excuse)? I sometimes have to leave my gun in the car when I go into a restricted place, but going into another country while he has 2 guns in the car? Not too bright. Sounds like a bs excuse to me. Veteran or not, he broke the law. Mexican prisons are notoriously nasty, thats wy when i go to Mexico, I am extra careful to follow the law. I personally don't buy his excuse. I personally don't think the fact that he is a veteran has any bearing on this story whatsoever.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    I agree he needs to be gotten home, but, by some means acceptable by both Govts.
    Mexico does not have a government, it has a narc-ocracy; that can't be debated.

Nortenos aren't exactly popular, even if he was a branch-relative of La Raza. From experience: if you're near the border, you need to watch your angle of approach. If you're heading south, and haven't seen signs in awhile, you'll be far happier just turning around until you see something in Ingles.

Re- breaking the law. Mexican law changes, depending on which officer you encounter and how many companions he has.

I live in El Paso, Texas. The border area in Mexico has been in an intense drug war for the past several months. The drug cartels are struggling for control of the drug and people smuggling. Over 250 people have been murdered in Juarez since January 1. This includes 16 police officers who have been ambushed and gunned down. Just yesterday, the assistant police chief was ambushed and killed. 2000 Mexican soldiers and federal police have been patrolling the city for several months to augment the local police but the war continues. A few years ago I'd take friends visiting from out of town to Juarez. We'd eat a meal, buy a few blankets and leather goods and return but now I wouldn't go into Juarez on a bet. Of course the visiting soldier didn't realize all of that.

All of the law enforcement authorities are extremely on edge and Mexico has always been unforgiving on weapons and ammunition. Several years ago a man was stopped at the border and a single cartridge was found on the floor of the trunk of his car. His car was confiscated and it took several months of legal and diplomatic wrangling to get him released.

Another problem this young soldier has is that he has an Aztec eagle tattooed on his back. The Aztecas are a big prison gang in Mexico and that is their symbol. So the Aztecas don't like him because he is wearing their sign without being a member and the other gangs don't like Aztecas, real or not.

This young man is learning a harsh lesson about real life in another country. I hope and pray this young soldier learns his lesson without serious harm coming to him. I bet you won't get him within fifty miles of the border after he gets out of this.

Semper Fi
    Larry

The sad part of this deal is that Torres will be "exchanged" for some Mexican drug peddler and will do time in a US prison for an alleged offense committed in Mexico. The US military will most likely give Torres a less than honorable discharge as a convicted felon.

Unhappy

I am quite dismayed at the amount of negativity being thrown at this young man who was arrested for the "crime" of mere possesion a firearm regardless of his intentions...I thought this was a PRO-gun ownership/self-defense/personal freedom forum...
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    am quite dismayed at the amount of negativity being thrown at this young man who was arrested for the "crime" of mere possesion a firearm regardless of his intentions...I thought this was a PRO-gun ownership/self-defense/personal freedom forum...
    I would have the same attitude for a young mexican man found here with pounds of cocaine . No matter his intent he is in the usa and with controlled drugs. not just one snort either . I am strongly pro 2a however the 2a stops at our borders . a drive or review of either f our neighbor country's will clearly state this . The last time i ran border MX i had a card to allow me to ( at least informally ) carry there . I could and did choose a then new 10mm just to stay away from some of the prohibited weapons . Mexico has a no crap gunlaw prosecution that makes chicago look like AZ or any of the west. The last time i was in matamoros i had 3 pickups of large fellas with assault weapons shadow me wherever i went ( not smalia level but a couple of guys per cab ). Dont go to MX with weapons or ammo, and dont go to Canada with same unless and untill you are approved . Common guys the 2nd starts at my doorstep and it closes at my neighbors .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by lscroggs View Post
    I live in El Paso, Texas. The border area in Mexico has been in an intense drug war for the past several months. The drug cartels are struggling for control of the drug and people smuggling. Over 250 people have been murdered in Juarez since January 1. This includes 16 police officers who have been ambushed and gunned down. Just yesterday, the assistant police chief was ambushed and killed. 2000 Mexican soldiers and federal police have been patrolling the city for several months to augment the local police but the war continues. A few years ago I'd take friends visiting from out of town to Juarez. We'd eat a meal, buy a few blankets and leather goods and return but now I wouldn't go into Juarez on a bet. Of course the visiting soldier didn't realize all of that.

All of the law enforcement authorities are extremely on edge and Mexico has always been unforgiving on weapons and ammunition. Several years ago a man was stopped at the border and a single cartridge was found on the floor of the trunk of his car. His car was confiscated and it took several months of legal and diplomatic wrangling to get him released.

Another problem this young soldier has is that he has an Aztec eagle tattooed on his back. The Aztecas are a big prison gang in Mexico and that is their symbol. So the Aztecas don't like him because he is wearing their sign without being a member and the other gangs don't like Aztecas, real or not.

This young man is learning a harsh lesson about real life in another country. I hope and pray this young soldier learns his lesson without serious harm coming to him. I bet you won't get him within fifty miles of the border after he gets out of this.

Semper Fi
    Larry
    larry,

i lived in el paso back in 99-2000, seemed to me that there was an issue with two el paso pd officers thrown into jail and the cars stripped because they had stopped someone after the u-turns and had no way to turn around. going to have to look....

tell you what, i hope that all ends well for this kid, but honestly speaking, what's the penalty for obstructing traffic and/or backing up to a u-turn point?

gotta be less than misdemeanor.....

"I am quite dismayed at the amount of negativity being thrown at this young man who was arrested for the "crime" of mere possesion a firearm regardless of his intentions...I thought this was a PRO-gun ownership/self-defense/personal freedom forum..."

+1

Quote Originally Posted by xwarp View Post
    larry,

i lived in el paso back in 99-2000, seemed to me that there was an issue with two el paso pd officers thrown into jail and the cars stripped because they had stopped someone after the u-turns and had no way to turn around. going to have to look....

tell you what, i hope that all ends well for this kid, but honestly speaking, what's the penalty for obstructing traffic and/or backing up to a u-turn point?

gotta be less than misdemeanor.....
    Yes, the El Paso Police officers were pursuing a car thief and got to a point where they couldn't turn around and went into Mexico. They were arrested and their car impounded. As I recall, they were released several days later minus their weapons. I don't recall the disposition of their car but it was probably returned after payment of the impound fee.

I'm not sure of the penalty for stopping and backing up but it has to be less than the penalty for crossing into Mexico with a gun or ammo.

The weekend was busy for the drug cartels. After the number two cop was ambushed and murdered in Juarez on Saturday, the chief of police resigned on Sunday (he ain't no fool but I'm not sure it will save him). A few months ago the cartels publicly posted a list of cops they would kill. So far they have made a good dent in the list. In the town of Palomas, about 60 miles west of Juarez, two people were gunned down on Friday and five killed on Sunday.

Semper Fi
    Larry

kind of off topic, but i found this site interesting:

www.globalincidentmap.com

there is a button on the bottom left for illegal activity map.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    "I am quite dismayed at the amount of negativity being thrown at this young man who was arrested for the "crime" of mere possesion a firearm regardless of his intentions...I thought this was a PRO-gun ownership/self-defense/personal freedom forum..."

+1
    This is most definitely a pro-gun ownership/self defense/personal freedom forum. However as LEGAL handgun carriers, we must frown upon those who do so illegally. I personally do not buy this young soldiers story. However for the purpose of this post, I will accept his story at face-value. If his story is true, then he still deserves to be treated as a criminal. Whether we agree with the law or not, whether we agree with the government of mexico or not, whether we believe this soldier should be allowed to go free or not, there is one simple indisputable fact. That fact is: HE BROKE THE LAW. The law may be unjust, the govermnent of mexico may be unrustworthy, howeever we do no have the ability to decide what laws to follow or not. This is a pro-gun ownership/freedom forum, however as legal gun-owners/carriers, we need to be more aware than most that we follow the laws of gun-ownership, whether in our country or not, whether in our home-state or not. The fact that this person is a soldier is insignificant. He broke the law in a foreign country. Every time someone is caught with a gun, the antis gain more ammunition. Most people don;t know or care what a ccw is. Most people lump all non-leo gun carriers into the same category, and blame the whole group when someone does something wrong. This young man, soldier or not, broke the law in a country with notoriously nasty prisons. I feel bad for him, I hope he gets out without being harmed, however, we need to remember, he broke the law. Mexico has as much right to put him in prison as the United States would if we caught a mexican citizen crossing our border with an assault rifle and handgun. Would you be pro gun right, pro-freedom for a mexican citizen armed in this country? If a Mexican citizen and member of the mexican army crossed the border and entered our country with an assault rifle and handgun in their trunk, would we throw up our hands and say "This is a pro-gun/pro freedom forum, so he should be let off the hook." I doubt it, I know I most certainly wouldn't be saying that.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I agree Jay and I too feel bad for him. Condoning his actions/stupidity is not the right answer however; he sheds a bad light on gun owners . If he couldn't tell he was about to enter Mexico from EP then he's more than lost... the signage is pretty in your face. I'm not saying necessarily he was up to no good but at best he's dumb as a box of rocks.

Those offended by this guy being arrested for bringing a gun into Mexico: Would you therefore condone Mexican citizens bringing in AK's because they "wanted to have an authentic cheeseburger"?

Perhaps we American's shouldn't gripe about tough Mexican border laws but instead wake up to how much of a deterrent they can actually be when you let authorities carry out the laws that are on the books. I don't think anyone that has heard this story is saying, "that turned out well, maybe it's worth a try."

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    Why do they include the fact that he is a veteran in this story? I fail to see how including the fact that he is a veteran has any affect on the story other than attempt to grab the readers attention using the headline. This ia a very straightforward, simple story. He transported a weapon across the border. Getting lost and being forced to cross the border is a bs excuse. I have crossed the border numerous times, there are lots of places to turn around. What kind of person parks his car and then leaves the car sitting in a parking lot with an ar-15 and a handgun in it while he crosses the border to have breakfast (that was his excuse)? I sometimes have to leave my gun in the car when I go into a restricted place, but going into another country while he has 2 guns in the car? Not too bright. Sounds like a bs excuse to me. Veteran or not, he broke the law. Mexican prisons are notoriously nasty, thats wy when i go to Mexico, I am extra careful to follow the law. I personally don't buy his excuse. I personally don't think the fact that he is a veteran has any bearing on this story whatsoever.
    +1

He's someone who broke the law. It has nothing to do with whether or not you think "mexico's" laws are legitimate to you or not, theyre legitimate to MEXICO and you will pay the price for breaking them.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post

+1
    OK, I agree he broke the law, But he is an American Soldier!!
    Someone said what does that have to do with it!
    Well it tells you that he knows how to safely handle a Gun,He has great training, that he was ready to die for his Country!!
    That most of them have Character!
    He has no rights over there, and if you think he is in the same class as a drug smuggling rat ... well we disagree.
    I would do whatever I have to do to put him on our soil, give him a trial, and lock him up if his peers see fit!
    The thought of him being beaten by a Mexican gang and having the guards watch and laugh, makes me think Bad thoughts
    Trade whoever they want, pick him back up a week from now, ship the one they want then round up another 200 and send them to them too as a bonus!!
    Just get him back! YMMV
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Sorry, but I don't agree. We're talking about a government that routinely, unofficially advocates breaking our laws. I don't recognize such government or their legitimacy. Stroll on over to the nearest mexican consulate and tell them you're here illegally and need help getting an ID and see what happens. You think they're going to turn you in? Probably not!
    Well why don't we encourage Mexicans to stay in Mexico and change their government, improve their economy and maybe create a society where their people can prosper? Maybe after that they can come to an agreement with us and the rest of the free world?

I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links