American Veteran of Iraq War RELEASED FROM Mexican Prison

American Veteran of Iraq War RELEASED FROM Mexican Prison

This is a discussion on American Veteran of Iraq War RELEASED FROM Mexican Prison within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What do you think about this? FOXNews.com - American Veteran of Iraq War Being Held in Mexican Prison on Weapons Charges - International News | ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Veteran of Iraq War RELEASED FROM Mexican Prison

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    What do you think about this?
    ... that Mexican "justice" in the border regions is defined by other, unknown terms. He's caught in the blender, now. Shouldn't have strayed. That much is his own fault. Of course, the Mexican gov't should be reasonable in cases like this, but that's asking a lot.

It comes down to one thing: if he had no intention of smuggling a weapon or ammo in, how exactly is the law supposed to distinguish this? His word? When hundreds (thousands?) are being murdered at the border every year?

I'm of the opinion that Maryland, DC, NYC aren't too far behind. But that's another topic for another thread.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

i say extract him immediatly sure he'll get chewed out by his chain of command but its better than rotting(or beig murdered) in a mexican jail. and if the mexican government don't agree forcefully extract him.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

I've been down to the border, and over many times. There is a U-Turn before entering Mexico. There are also 3 or 4 signs that are bright yellow and say Last US Exit. Taking a weapon into Mexico is just plain stupid. Taking a weapon into Mexico 'accidentally' is just plain idiotic.

I guess I don't have a lot of sympathy for somebody who accidentally cross international borders with restricted items.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    i say extract him immediatly sure he'll get cheed out by his chain of command but its better than rotting(or beig murdered) in a mexican jail. and if the mexican government don't agree forcefully extract him.
    I'd give em a 1 week deadline. If not released...Extract him forcefully, politics be damned. What's the worst they can do...Stop the illegal workers from crossing to work on our farms?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    .. and if the mexican government don't agree forcefully extract him.
    Not sure this type of keyboard warrior talk is proper on this forum.
    I agree he needs to be gotten home, but, by some means acceptable by both Govts.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    I agree he needs to be gotten home, but, by some means acceptable by both Govts.
    +1 If he hadn't of been arrested by the Mexican Police, he would have been arrested when he crossed back into the U.S. border for illegal transporation of a firearm across borders.

And it's not some kind of movie where we send our SEAL team in and storm the Mexican prison.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Not being from the area, Iíve found myself on the Mexico side of the border more than once, when I was not planning on driving over.

Sure, there are signs that say last exit, but that was miles form the border, and I wanted to park near by and walk over. Then all at once, you find yourself at the check point and no place to turn around.

On one such occasion in the late 70ís I was on vacation, in southern Texas, deputy sheriff from Florida and had my Colt 45 in the center consol. When I found myself at the check point, I told the border agent, I did not want to enter Mexico and needed to turn around. He advised me to go over into that parking lot turn around and come straight back. Which I did; I then parked on our side left my pistol in the car, and walked over the bridge.

Some thoughts:

While it is perfectly legal to carry an AR-15 in his truck, (in this country) having one has caused him allot of grief. As I feel the Mexican authorities would have been allot more understanding, if he had only had his pistol.

I also feel that when he stopped at the border he should have asked how to turn around, and did so immediately, while the boarder agents watched.

Glad to see he is in the military. They always take care of there own and I sure hope they will figure a way to get him out of this.

Lead Moderator
    Couldn't find a Mexican breakfast in El Paso? Sorry, something stinks here.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Mexican authorities would have been allot more understanding, if he had only had his pistol.
    having family on both sides of the border - I doubt it, especially with all of the trouble that they have had in Chiapas... Their laws are pretty clear, and they don't flex them much, and hardly ever for Americans from north of the Rio Grande...

I also feel that when he stopped at the border he should have asked how to turn around, and did so immediately, while the boarder agents watched.
    yep - and kept his mouth shut too - last time I drove across the border - I was sent to inspection station - vehicle search started... primarily searching for weapons (I conversed with them as they searched...) (they didn't find anything either - they were locked in another vehicle on the US side - in the border crossing parking lot)

Glad to see he is in the military. They always take care of there own and I sure hope they will figure a way to get him out of this.
    //Sarcasm on// Yeah - Right //Sarcasm Off//
    (I spent eight years in the Army) I've seen the Army take care of it's own... if it doesn't help someone further their career...

the article was right - the military does usually take care of these sorts of things - but he was not "in country" in an official capacity... so no status of forces agreement applies

I am still dealing with VA trying to get treatment for "treatable disability" (they have a cure now - they didn't then)

so far has taken 5 years to get them to open the medicine chest to the right family of drugs, the same family that the original DR said it would take to cure the malady - then they will bill me for the meds - then I have to take them my letter showing that it is service connected - and the Gov'ts bill happens every time...

JD
    Administrator
    What do we preach here? Situational awareness, situational avoidance, know your laws.

This guy failed. He's in violation of the law.

Should we try to get him back stateside? Yes.

Is it wrong that he's in prison? No.

Will the Military "take care" of him? Yes, probably with charges of their own, I imagine he's now or soon will be U.A./A.W.O.L.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Sorry, but I don't agree. We're talking about a government that routinely, unofficially advocates breaking our laws. I don't recognize such government or their legitimacy. Stroll on over to the nearest mexican consulate and tell them you're here illegally and need help getting an ID and see what happens. You think they're going to turn you in? Probably not!

I don't want to start an argument over it though. I've said my piece and will say no more for fear of getting the thread locked.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    What do we preach here? Situational awareness, situational avoidance, know your laws.

This guy failed. He's in violation of the law.

Should we try to get him back stateside? Yes.

Is it wrong that he's in prison? No.

Will the Military "take care" of him? Yes, probably with charges of their own, I imagine he's now or soon will be U.A./A.W.O.L.
    I agree he failed, but doesn't the same thing happen here in NoVA with "out of towners" or even regular Virginians? The number of folks that routinely accidently cross over the bridge into DC and have to find a place to turn around and bug out quick...I would guess is probably rather high.

Heck, I've done it myself once. Get stuck on 66 and miss your last exit because you got cut off in traffic and end up crossing the DMZ into the District of Crime. It happens and then you have to get yourself turned around quickly and quietly and get out of dodge. Should they end up in jail over it...?

ok...no really...now I'm done
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I agree he failed, but doesn't the same thing happen here in NoVA with "out of towners" or even regular Virginians? The number of folks that routinely accidently cross over the bridge into DC and have to find a place to turn around and bug out quick...I would guess is probably rather high.

Heck, I've done it myself once. Get stuck on 66 and miss your last exit because you got cut off in traffic and end up crossing the DMZ into the District of Crime. It happens and then you have to get yourself turned around quickly and quietly and get out of dodge. Should they end up in jail over it...?

l Risk Management, and while I hate ORM briefs, they have probablok...no really...now I'm done
    Not my place to say who goes to jail for what, but if your guilty, and your caught, well you really can't blame anyone but the offender.

I know what's legal and what's not, in the event that I accidentally break the law, and am caught doing so, I'm not going to whine and cry on how it's not my fault, or my favorite, "I didn't know it was illegal", I've been plenty close to going into Jersey accidentally a lot of times when I was in PA, this is even on the Turnpike with exits every 13 or so miles, and I never once HAD TO drive into Jersey while carrying or improperly transporting my firearms, there's always a way to NOT go into some place...I dunno maybe just PULL OVER and THINK about what can go wrong and form a plan, it's called Operational Risk Management and probably saved my bacon countless times.

While I would like to think that a normal U.S. Policeman would give ANYONE under these circumstances a break, it's up to the officer on the scene. One can hardly be surprised that the Mexican LE arrested the individual. It's not the same ball park out of the country.

Regarding his Military status, to me a non issue, it has nothing to do with his illegal actions, servicemen on leave get locked up all the time, sometimes they get a break, sometimes they don't.

Should we protest every time a serviceman gets drunk and arrested in TJ, which in most cases is off-limits to begin with? What if they "didn't know they were in TJ" before getting drunk and arrested?
    Should they still be charged for not knowing?

Granted, this isn't apples to apples, but the fact remains that this guy was caught in an illegal act regardless of his intentions.

To even suggest an armed incursion across the border to "Get him out" is utterly ridiculous. He's in a Mexican jail, (granted not a pleasant place to be) not a POW camp in Cambodia.

As I stated, should they try to bring stateside for trial? YES, let the Military lock him up for a while.

I cross the border at least a dozen times/year at different locations. Every one has several signs in both languages warning against bringing even ammo into Mexico. Every crossing also has a U-turn before you enter Mexico. You can't possibly NOT KNOW where you are. I agree with Rick, there's more going on here than we see.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I don't buy his story about driving to his moms and taking a large detour to go have breakfast in mexico,Border crossings are clearly marked and if you have a gun I wouldn't even consider driving close to the border.You can get a lot of money for an AR15 and a 45 in mexico
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links