Military Going Back To .45 acp Caliber ? - Page 2

Military Going Back To .45 acp Caliber ?

This is a discussion on Military Going Back To .45 acp Caliber ? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Jeesh, I don't think I could take this kind of negativity twards the old slabsides. A 1911 would win that chalange hands down, even on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Jeesh, I don't think I could take this kind of negativity twards the old slabsides. A 1911 would win that chalange hands down, even on a bad day. As mentioned a in Spec 1911 is the finest fighting handgun there is and ever was, with the S&W 586 and 686 rev's comming in 2nd.

It seems like the 1911 gets a bad rap on price because of all of the high-end elite models out there. The original 1911 was dirt cheap - the milspec version out there will still run you less than a Glock or XD. Also, the combat 1911's were built like rattle traps - loose as nuts. As the others have said above, the reliability issues come in when you start 'accurizing' the thing for target shooting and adding shootability features.

While it may be easier to detail strip a 1911 than most other pistols, it is more difficult to field strip than a glock or xd design. Those things are dirt simple.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    nothing wrong with the 1911. Modern designs just do it better. Less parts to take down, means ease of field stripping.
    I always thought the 1911A1 was a real simple weapon to field strip!?!?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

JT
    Unless the military has changed their requirements, a Glock would not be chosen because of lack of re-strike capability. In the past, Glock has also been unwilling to agree to the military requirement of licensing other contractors to produce their product in times increased production demand (i.e. war).
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Good point Jt i forgot about the restrike and the licensing part of it

1943 - 2009
    too bad they follow the FMJ guidelines for warfare, since HP's would work so much better.
    According to an article by Massad Ayoob in the September 05 issue of On Target magazine, the U.S. Special Operations Command contracted with Olin Corporation (Winchester) for 185 grain +P .45 ACP HP ammo for use in their H&K pistols.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
    According to an article by Massad Ayoob in the September 05 issue of On Target magazine, the U.S. Special Operations Command contracted with Olin Corporation (Winchester) for 185 grain +P .45 ACP HP ammo for use in their H&K pistols.

Good we need to start using Hollowpoints and get away from ball im sorry but if your shooting someone i want then to go down and not get up..

The hague (sp) thing was signed back in the late 1890's or early 1900's and concereded Lead bullets as well time to stepup into the 2000's

JT
    They may be inteneded for use against “armed combatants” that are not covered under Geneva. Like terrorists.

But I agree that the ban on hollow points is ridiculous.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    The military uses FMJ because they want to wound more people than they kill. A wounded soldier in the field takes 1-2 other soldiers to help, - save him, but a dead soldier is well just dead and dosn't need any help.

Senior Moderator
    The military uses FMJ because they want to wound more people than they kill. A wounded soldier in the field takes 1-2 other soldiers to help, - save him, but a dead soldier is well just dead and dosn't need any help.

A wounded combatant that still has the capability to shoot at you before he dies can still KILL you.

I prefer mine DEAD right there(DRT)... thank you.

To say that "wounding"a guy that is trying to kill you is better than killing him is unrealistic. Sure it may take more people to get him back to active status, but the next time around he may have you in his sights before you do.

I would prefer not to give them a second chance.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Everything I have heard about the return of the .45 ACP is in support of Special Operations soldiers. Not much that I have heard for the unfortunate ground pounder still stuck with the 9 mm.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember that at least some of the forces in the Panama invasion carried hollowpoints in their 1911's, because JAG determined the forces they were battling were not in fact regular military, but basically armed thugs.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I'm not sure about this but I believe that the Geneva Convention / no hollow point crap deals with "WAR" only. When was the last time that the us was involved in a "WAR". That's right---WWII. Korea,V.N.,Panama,Granada,and all the fighting for desert sand / WMD / Saddam wern't "WARS". They were "conflicts",incursions",or whatever else was a handy phrase at the time. "Some people" used HP's way back in the daze of V.N. This, with the higher ranking officers "knowledge".Granada,same thing. Certin groups of our,and other countries, troops are using HP's every day.They work great out of long bbl's as well as short bbl's. I'd say---GO FOR IT !--------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links